Question about work travel at 28 weeks for career-oriented women

Forum: May 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By mjbaby

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To May 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 26th, 2013, 10:21 AM
Veteran
Hi ladies -- just dropping in from the July 2013 DDC. I asked a similar question there, but was hoping since you guys have first hand experience you might be able to weigh in on this:

I'm wondering whether I should say yes to some professional travel and meetings and the answer to that really depends on how I'll be feeling... Basically, I've been invited to give a talk (1 hour) and participate in a full day of meeting with people (back-to-back 30 min meetings all day + breakfast and dinner). It would mean flying from the east coast to the west coast and the time that makes the most sense is when I'll be 28 weeks along. I should also say the place is trying to recruit me and I'm somewhat, but not 100% sure I'm interested, so it will be job-interview-esque. The people who have invited me know I'm pregnant. Right now, at 20 weeks, I feel great and have done several long flights and stressful talks and meetings in the past couple weeks and have been fine, but I'm also not showing all that much yet (it's my first and I'm 5'10") and have good energy levels. I felt horrendous for the first 12 weeks so if I'm going to feel like that again I'd say no, but since the second trimester I've been pretty comfortable.

So my question for you guys is what I'll be feeling like at 28 weeks and will the travel and/or stress be really uncomfortable? And will it be awkward to do something professionally like this when I'm showing more obviously? Would love to hear advice -- thank you!
February 26th, 2013, 10:32 AM
Mega Super Mommy
If I were you, I'd go for it. I'm 30+ weeks and have felt great for the last couple of months. I'm also 5'10" and was hardly showing at 20 weeks. I'm definitely showing now, but the consensus seems to be that I'm quite small for 30 weeks. It's unpredictable how that will change for you, but taller women have more vertical space for the baby so they tend to show a little less.

If they know you're pregnant, then it won't be at all weird or awkward to be pregnant in this professional setting. Well, apart from the general awkwardness of pregnancy Pregnant women are acceptable in most situations these days, especially professional ones. The most that will happen is people will ask benign questions (how far along are you, is it your first, boy/girl, etc), but I've known several professional women (doctors, lawyers, scientists) who worked throughout their pregnancy without any issues.
February 26th, 2013, 10:54 AM
Sapphera's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I would say to go for it as well. I'm 30 weeks now and still would feel comfortable flying (and going from coast to coast isn't a long long flight either). The only thing I would do different is try to book an aisle seat for any pee breaks as well as ability to get up/walk around/stretch legs out if needed.

I'm still working and will be until about 38 weeks, so it should not be too awkward in that sense. Also, if it's going to be interviewesque..they may be wondering about how much time you're taking off too.

And at 28 weeks, even though it's not airline policy to have a dr's note, I would get one anyways JUST to be on the safe side in case your due date is questioned when checking in.
WTTC #2
February 26th, 2013, 11:17 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Yes. I would say go. But I agree. Get a doctors note. And check with your airline to see if they allow third trimester flyers. Some airlines don't accept pregnant women in their third trimester due to the risk of high alititude and the pressure it causes on some women.
But as far as feeling great. Each woman different, I was fine at 20 weeks. Now at 29 I have noticed such a huge decrease in energy and I feel pretty tired. But that's me.
Hopefully things go well. Good luck
February 26th, 2013, 11:33 AM
ashj_1218's Avatar Hiya!
I think I would go. But I would allow myself plenty of room for rests (if possible take 10-minutes breaks between the clients) and prepare to be tired for a couple days afterward.

I am almost 28 weeks and feel pretty darn good. I am chasing after a couple toddlers and that is where my primary energy demon is right now. But I am also tall (5'10.5") and have not shown a ton with any of my pregnancies. My belly is not uncomfortable yet or unwieldy. I do agree with getting a comfy seat on the plane (as much as possible) and taking some walking breaks during the flight. And drink plenty of fluids.

But I wouldn't want to miss out on a possible opportunity. I think *most* women are pretty comfortable from the 18-32 week points. Before that can be quite rough...and after can too, as the belly gets more uncomfortable and sleep might be compromised. So I think you are picking a good time frame for a trip.
February 26th, 2013, 02:07 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I get the impression most airlines let you fly really late... Southwest doesn't say anything about requiring a doctor's note and they recommend against flying after your 38th week. I found this list that has different airlines' policies: Airline policies for pregnant travelers | BabyCenter

I'll be flying at 32 weeks, and I'm getting a note just in case.
February 26th, 2013, 03:33 PM
Rhonda66's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I would do it as long as you're not having swelling issues or anything that might make the flight/talk unbearable. I work a physical job and I worked right up until the time I had DS and I'm currently planning on the same with this one.
February 26th, 2013, 06:16 PM
Super Mommy
Definitely go! You'll be fine. I was tired only the last two weeks in my first pregnancy and now I am almost 29 weeks along and I am fine. Don't miss on the opportunity! I am guessing you're in academia. Can't wait to have my first job talk (well, can't wait for my dissertation to be written lol)
February 26th, 2013, 06:16 PM
EverydayJoy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I would run it by your doctor, and check airline policies. And then go with your gut feeling on it.
Personally I wouldn't want to do it, but I'm not a very high-energy person to begin with. I hit the 3rd trimester tiredness about 2 weeks before I began the 3rd trimester (which I think is about 27 weeks). I also am not sleeping well, and haven't been for some time, so I need a midday nap most days to make it through till bedtime. Is there a way you could get a little kinder schedule for speaking when you're there, maybe with some built-in breaks for resting with your feet up? I would also plan on being hungry in between meals, perhaps you might want to bring a few smoothie/protein drinks to help you get through the schedule.
Oh and for what it's worth, I have started showing a lot earlier this pregnancy than I did my last one, and I think that seems to make a difference. Right now I feel big and lumbering (30 weeks) and my hip hurts and my feet hurt and my back hurts, etc. I know with my son it wasn't till closer to the end before I started to feel big and miserable. So I bet since you're not showing much yet you might feel better than I am. Good luck!

Little Bud: Blooming in Heaven 1.24.12
February 27th, 2013, 10:50 AM
Veteran
Thanks ladies! I appreciate hearing your thoughts. It's so useful to have this window into the future!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyBunnyMama View Post
I am guessing you're in academia. Can't wait to have my first job talk (well, can't wait for my dissertation to be written lol)
Yes, I'm in academia. Good luck with the dissertation writing and job search!
SunnyBunnyMama likes this.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search