Short Hair vs. Long Hair

Forum: May 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree18Likes
  • 1 Post By Mrsbowbin
  • 1 Post By CooleyBaby1
  • 2 Post By kary4
  • 1 Post By 4 boys
  • 1 Post By Elly M.
  • 1 Post By crunchywannabe
  • 1 Post By Counting our Blessings
  • 1 Post By rheaimedved
  • 2 Post By Liztastic
  • 1 Post By ashj_1218
  • 1 Post By EverydayJoy
  • 1 Post By markswife
  • 1 Post By usnwifey9
  • 1 Post By Skimboardin Mama
  • 1 Post By MrsLisaT
  • 1 Post By CooleyBaby1

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To May 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 26th, 2013, 12:24 PM
CooleyBaby1's Avatar Regular
What is everyone’s opinion on hair length during pregnancy and/or early motherhood days. 2 weeks before I found out I was pregnant I got 14 inches cut off my hair, which was totally drastic. I wish now that I wouldn’t have because I feel like my face looks fatter and more round with shorter hair. Since cutting it off I have gone even shorter every time I have gotten it cut since. I am trying to decide whether to let it grow back out before the baby gets here or just keep it short. Any opinions or recommendations???
February 26th, 2013, 12:27 PM
Brock's minion
I'm with you! I cut 12-14 inches o my hair as soon as I found out I was expecting. I wish I would of left it long so I could just toss it on top of my head and go. It never looks good now and it's driving me nuts. Thank goodness for my hormones it's growing super quick.
CooleyBaby1 likes this.

Michelle
February 26th, 2013, 12:37 PM
I know, I thought short hair would be easier, but that is not the case. On a bad hair day you can’t just throw it in a pony! I think I am going to start letting mine grow back out. It will just take so long for it to get back to where it was!
Mrsbowbin likes this.
February 26th, 2013, 01:12 PM
May 2013 Cohost
I liked having mine a little longer so I could just put it in a pony. I basically wore ponies all the time in the early stages. As long as it's long enough to put in a pony, I'm good!
jcperez and CooleyBaby1 like this.
February 26th, 2013, 01:18 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Do whatever you think will be easiest to manage if you have no time for your hair once your baby arrives!

For me personally, I usually wear my hair very short, like a pixie cut, but when I'm pregnant I tend to let it grow out longer to chin length because I am also paranoid about face fat and it's easier to do. But once the baby weight is gone, I'll probably chop it off again.
CooleyBaby1 likes this.
February 26th, 2013, 01:45 PM
Elly M.'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I prefer my hair long because short hair looks awful on me. My hair is about halfway down my back with long layers. It was shorter when I was pregnant with DS and I feel like my face looked too full then, The long hair definately helps with making your face look thinner. Also, when my hair was shorter it was harder to do in my opinion.
CooleyBaby1 likes this.

5/25/03 with us for 6 months
8/11/12 with us for 5 weeks

February 26th, 2013, 01:56 PM
Mega Super Mommy
My hair is medium-long in length. I plan on keeping it at a min. this long, but am milking these pregnancy hormones for all their worth to get it longer before baby arrives. I love the way long hair looks on me, and I find it much easier to throw it back.. my struggle is do I go for the bangs or not... Simple to style and I feel they make a difference in the way I like to look, but I know there are gonna be days I don't want to bother.... perhaps leave them long like they are now, so I can easily pin them back...
CooleyBaby1 likes this.

February 26th, 2013, 01:57 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I guess I'm the opposite. I had 9 inches cut off about mid pregnancy. I enjoy it shorter, it's been easier to just wash and go. A lot less blow drying and my hair needs to be washed everyday otherwise it looks gross, so just time wise is easier. I do miss a pony tail, but think I look better with shorter hair.
CooleyBaby1 likes this.

February 26th, 2013, 02:12 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I've had short hair for a lot of my life; in the last 6 years I've done a couple cycles of donating, and people seem to agree that my hair looks nice short, but the last time (2.5 years ago) traumatized me for some reason (I accidentally gave the guy free reign on my hair... and it was REALLY short for what felt like forever). Now it's long-ish, and I'm gonna keep growing it, since it's so easy to put back. I used to think I would cut it short after giving birth, since some women start to experience hair loss, but since my hair hasn't changed since becoming pregnant, I'll play it by ear.
CooleyBaby1 likes this.
February 26th, 2013, 02:17 PM
Liztastic's Avatar Super Mommy
My hair wasn't super long, but it was long enough that it laid between my shoulder blades, that was until I decided to cut it to shoulder length and I HATE IT!!! I'm hoping it grows back super fast because I can't stand the way it looks now
CooleyBaby1 and Mrsbowbin like this.

Mom to:
Madalynn Faith ~ 2001
Alala Love ~ 2004
Elle Rain ~ 2008
Tilly Moon ~ 2013
February 26th, 2013, 04:38 PM
ashj_1218's Avatar Hiya!
My hair is the longest it's ever been in my life right now. Which is still only about medium-length. It falls right between my shoulder blades. My hair grows s-u-p-e-r s-l-o-w...so if I cut it short right now, it wouldn't be back to this length for at least three years. I have no plans to cut it. I agree that shorter hair makes my face fuller. Which is fine, but not for when I am trying to take off baby weight.

I would want my hair at least pony tail length for early-baby days. Mine was too short for that with my first and it did drive me a bit nuts. But I had a good cut right then and it wasn't so bad. I can't imagine, even now, not having hair long enough for a pony tail.
CooleyBaby1 likes this.

Super big thanks to Jaidynsmum for my cool siggy!
February 26th, 2013, 06:26 PM
EverydayJoy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
My biggest thought is labor and delivery...I recall with DS I got a hair cut right before delivery thinking oh I'll look so pretty for that day...well the hair stylist didn't listen very well and cut it too short to pull back, and somehow I also agreed to let her cut "swoopy" bangs on me. I hated it during L&D because it kept getting in my face and distracting me. I know I'm just going to want my hair out of the way, so in my personal opinion, I would leave it long enough that you can pull it back somehow, or just plan ahead for how you can keep it out of your face on that day (headband, do-rag, etc).
My hair right now is just about touching my shoulders. I can't pull it in a ponytail yet, which I had planned to be able to do before the baby is born, but I cut my own hair now and mis-cut it last time a bit shorter than I wanted. But I can part it in the middle and pull back the top two parts like pigtails while leaving the back down. So that works for me.
CooleyBaby1 likes this.

Little Bud: Blooming in Heaven 1.24.12
February 26th, 2013, 07:39 PM
markswife's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Mine is usually just below shoulder length. Being able to wear a pony is a must for me. The last hair cut I went a little crazy with telling her how much to chop off so it's just now getting back to shoulder length. My hair grows quickly anyways so pregnancy is killing me.
CooleyBaby1 likes this.
February 26th, 2013, 09:17 PM
usnwifey9's Avatar Veteran
Being a plus size chick to begin with, I am all about the long hair lol! I will say I've wished for shorter hair on occasion when my long strands are blowing in the wind and all over my face or DS has decided to make my locks his new favorite tug toy, but all of that is easy enough to fix with a simple ponytail or messy bun on top of the head ;P. I have had shorter hair in the past (chin-length at the shortest when I was an early teen), and while I enjoy the "lightness" it's just not for me .
CooleyBaby1 likes this.

February 26th, 2013, 11:42 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Skimboardin Mama Send a message via MSN to Skimboardin Mama Send a message via Yahoo to Skimboardin Mama
Mine is to my mid back o a bit longer. Long hair looks best on me and I have a round face. Ill probably cut it before the baby comes but only to make sure the layers look good straightned. Summer is coming, it will be straight or pulled back most often!
CooleyBaby1 likes this.

February 27th, 2013, 05:16 AM
MrsLisaT's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Mine is pretty long right now. I hate doing anything more to my hair in the mornings other than washing and brushing it and long hair is the easiest to manage that way Also, I tend to grow it really long, get tired of it, and then get a foot chopped off for Locks of Love. I'm getting pretty close to the length that would let me donate it but the last time I got it cut it was too short and I just hated it! I might just go for a trim and layers before baby gets here because I haven't had a trim in close to a year and it is started to show.
CooleyBaby1 likes this.
February 27th, 2013, 07:15 AM
Thank you all soooo much for you responses. I think I have come to the conclusion that the best option would be to let it grow to a medium/short length that still allows me to pull it back out of my face. I do have swooping bangs and my hair angles in the front so it is long enough to pull back the front, but not long enough to pull all of it into a pony!

My hair grows so slow, it took me probably 5 years to get it as long as it was before I cut it all off.
EverydayJoy likes this.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search