Back with an update...add me to Club GD

Forum: May 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree5Likes
  • 5 Post By pressedfairie

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To May 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 26th, 2013, 06:49 PM
pressedfairie's Avatar Super Mommy
Hi everyone,

I took a break from the DDC the last few months, but I'm back now and thought it was about time for me to post an update.

I was diagnosed with Gestational Diabetes right after Xmas. I had to take the glucose test early because of my family history (my entire immediate family is Type 2, except me) and my son was over 9 lbs. when he was born. So I wasn't really all that surprised when I failed my 1 hour. We didn't even bother with the 3 hour because I had been monitoring my glucose levels on my own and my numbers were not normal.

It's been very irritating having to count carbs and eat at specific intervals during the day...lots of trial and error to see how my body reacts to certain foods and at certain times. But fortunately, I've gotten my blood sugar under control without having to take meds. So for anyone who is having anxiety about being diagnosed with GD, it sucks, but it's definitely manageable. I have a major sweet tooth and LOVE all things chocolate. I've actually been able to eat small amounts of dark chocolate without it raising my glucose, and if you're okay with Splenda, Breyers makes Carb Smart ice cream bars! And Kashi brand foods have really saved my life - I can eat 2 Kashi (whole grain) blueberry waffles with sausage for breakfast and my numbers are fine. Honestly, as long as most of my carbs are whole grains, my numbers are ok and I don't feel "deprived."

Just had my 28 wk ultrasound today and everything looks perfect. Baby girl is measuring right on track...except she's transverse. I'm really hoping she's head down at my next ultrasound. The only downside with GD for me is that my high risk doc doesn't want me to go past 40 weeks, which means that if I don't go into labor on my own by then, I can say bye-bye to my VBAC. I am seriously going to do anything I can to get labor going when I hit 39 weeks...here's hoping for the best!!

Thank you peimum for my awesome siggy!
February 26th, 2013, 07:21 PM
misty3281's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Welcome back!! Sorry about the GD, but you seem to be handling it very well. I think there are quite a few that are still transverse at this point. My doc hasn't even checked for position at any of my appointments. Glad to have you back!!!
February 26th, 2013, 07:25 PM
markswife's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm glad that you have the GD under control. I'll be hoping for labor during your 39th week so you get your VBAC.
February 26th, 2013, 09:35 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Very uplifting and inspirational post, thanks! Glad to hear everything is going well, good luck getting your vbac!!
February 26th, 2013, 10:35 PM
EverydayJoy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I'm sorry you have to deal with GD, but I'm glad you have it under control. Good job!!

That sucks about the VBAC. I wonder if your doctor is being too conservative or if you really do have to be re-sectioned if you don't go into labor naturally.

Little Bud: Blooming in Heaven 1.24.12
February 27th, 2013, 11:34 AM
pressedfairie's Avatar Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by EverydayJoy View Post
I'm sorry you have to deal with GD, but I'm glad you have it under control. Good job!!

That sucks about the VBAC. I wonder if your doctor is being too conservative or if you really do have to be re-sectioned if you don't go into labor naturally.
My regular OB was only okay with me waiting until 41 weeks for a VBAC BEFORE the GD diagnosis. Now, my perinatalogist has said 40 weeks max. I think it's just the fact that DS was so big, he couldn't come straight down the birth canal - he got stuck with his head cocked to the side, which caused my cervix to swell, hence the C-section. I'm sure they just don't want a repeat of that experience.

I'm trying to be optimistic, but also trying to prepare myself mentally for another C-section. My OB practice will not induce someone who has already had a C-section. My husband is convinced that I'm having a C-section, but I'm still hoping/praying for a VBAC!

Thank you peimum for my awesome siggy!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search