Iron Pills

Forum: May 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree9Likes
  • 1 Post By mommaerin
  • 1 Post By misty3281
  • 3 Post By navywifey2003
  • 1 Post By jcperez
  • 1 Post By Elly M.
  • 2 Post By Mrsbowbin

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To May 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 26th, 2013, 07:10 PM
Brock's minion
I hate iron. I don't understand how it's possible that my counts are low if my prenatal has 150% of my daily need. I can't believe that after all the years of preggo anemics they haven't come up with a pill that doesn't kill me. It binds me up like nothing else in the universe. I can't figure how its safe to take stool softener everyday but prunes and fruits and all the other crap (no pun intended) are not working. Anyone taking these god awful pill? You using the bathroom?

Michelle
February 26th, 2013, 07:14 PM
Veteran
I am taking prenatal and two iron supplements a day plus eating spinach/kale etc, every meal. My iron is STILL low. In fact, the hematologist called me tonight to talk about it. He said the reason it is so low is because the baby takes what he needs and I am just getting the leftover. Good news= baby is healthy, bad news= horse size iron pills that stop me up. I've been eating lots of fiber bars lately. They seem to help but I still have a hard time going
Mrsbowbin likes this.

February 26th, 2013, 07:16 PM
misty3281's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I bought a bottle to take when I started using the gummy prenatals because they don't have iron. Took it once and the next day my stomach was cramping and stool was green (sorry TMI). I refused to take it again. I told DH if my bloodwork showed anemia when they rechecked it I would suffer through it, but until then I wasn't taking it. Lickily all of my bloodwork looked good even without an iron supplement, but I certainly feel for you.
Mrsbowbin likes this.
February 26th, 2013, 08:18 PM
Veteran
Hmm I am not taking anything and I still suffer from constipation.. at my first appt ages ago I've been asked to take prenatal vitamins but I ignored it. I am just too extreme when it comes to consuming meds/vitamins/supplements. I am just eating healthy and hopefully things will be Ok.
February 26th, 2013, 08:33 PM
navywifey2003's Avatar Home Birth Mama
Send a message via AIM to navywifey2003
Lurking from June

Look into hema-plex or floradix you can get either at health food stores. They are both natural iron supplements. They both contain other vitamins that help your body absorb the iron in the pills. The problem with plain iron other than constipation is if you take it with certain things your body does not absorb it. So even if your prenatal has 150% iron your body could only be taking 1/2 because of those needed extras to absorb. I'm taking hema-plex right now and I took floradix with my last pregnancy worked like a charm.

February 26th, 2013, 09:25 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Meat-based iron is easily absorbed by the body, but nonheme (vegetable-sourced) iron requires vitamin C for uptake. Iron supplements contain elements to ensure uptake, but your body still can't absorb 100% of its daily iron needs at once, so it just spits out what it can't use, so make sure to spread out when you take the pills over the course of the day.

I make smoothies with spinach and/or kale, orange juice, and a banana (or two, if they're small).

As for constipation, I have none. I'm not sure I can give much advice on that, but these are some "rules" I follow: avoid mixing meat and potatoes in a meal; always eat carbs or proteins with veggies (I eat baby carrots and raw green cabbage a lot for this purpose... salads work too, obviously); eat apples and dates throughout the day; oatmeal for breakfast, with strawberries and blueberries, usually. I also never eat fast food and very rarely eat fried foods (twice a month, maybe, and always with veggies). I do eat a lot of ice cream.. doesn't seem to be a problem
February 27th, 2013, 12:10 AM
EverydayJoy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I second the recommendation for Floridix iron supplement. I took it while pregnant with DS and it didn't constipate me.
The constipation is your body getting rid of the excess iron it can't use/absorb. Could be the form of iron you're getting is not easily absorbable, just like Rhea was talking about. Another good form of iron is taking dessicated liver. (Since no one wants to eat real liver for dinner!) Dessicated just means dried, they come in a little capsule. That would be a very easily absorbed form of iron.
A thought on constipation, Magnesium has helped keep me regular--so much so that I've had to back off of it a bit. I normally take 250 mg before bed and it helps keep things moving. You can take more of it than that safely, any excess magnesium is flushed out through the intestines...so that means, if you get diarrhea, you know you're taking too much of it. It has a nice calming effect on the body too.
Good luck!

Little Bud: Blooming in Heaven 1.24.12
February 27th, 2013, 03:37 AM
jcperez's Avatar 1 Busy Momma
Oh man! Im about to go on them. I really dont want to be constipated. Having flashbacks of that dreadful hospital visit at 11 weeks preg. because of that. It was not pretty or fun. Guess I should get some stool softeners as well.
Mrsbowbin likes this.

Mommy to Lorenzo, Marino and Remy
February 27th, 2013, 04:03 AM
Platinum Supermommy
My midwife recommended Floridix too. I decided to take iron pills instead though, I don't know why. I just started taking them last night (I should have been taking them probably since 12 weeks, but I haven't.......not sure why). Anyway, I take the pill before bed and with a vitamin C. Vitamin C helps the iron to absorb.

Thank you Kiliki... for my adorable signature!
February 27th, 2013, 05:09 AM
MrsLisaT's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Ugh, I hate Iron. Surprisingly, when I first started to take my Iron pill it actually made my constipation not as bad, though sometimes it worked a little too well (sorry for the TMI). After a couple of weeks though I think my body got used to it and I am back to the horrible constipation. My biggest complaint about the Iron though is the upset stomach and horrible tasting bumps. I managed before just by taking them at bedtime but since my reflux has gotten bad, the Iron seems to make is so much worse! I'm planning on asking my doctor today if there are any alternatives I can take.
February 27th, 2013, 08:48 AM
Elly M.'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I dropped the script my dr gave me for iron off at CVS yesterday. It will be in Thursday ( they were all out) and after reading all of this I am not looking forward to it at all oh well, only 11 weeks to go!! lol
Mrsbowbin likes this.

5/25/03 with us for 6 months
8/11/12 with us for 5 weeks

February 27th, 2013, 08:57 AM
Brock's minion
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elly M. View Post
I dropped the script my dr gave me for iron off at CVS yesterday. It will be in Thursday ( they were all out) and after reading all of this I am not looking forward to it at all oh well, only 11 weeks to go!! lol
Hopefully not 11 weeks until you "go"

Michelle

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search