Fasting for glucose test?

Forum: May 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By rheaimedved
  • 2 Post By 4 boys
  • 1 Post By usnwifey9

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To May 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 27th, 2013, 09:20 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Do you ladies have to fast for your glucose test?

I've never done one before and I'm supposed to have it tomorrow. So I called my clinic to ask about fasting (because they never told me either way when this was supposedly booked) and they said they don't have any requisition for me to have ANY lab work done tomorrow. I have had this appointment booked for a MONTH and I'm supposed to have lab work, glucose test and Rh shot tomorrow.

I'm kind of mad at them right now since they don't seem to know squat about anything. But anyhoo...

So did you ladies have to fast? I want to be prepared so that if indeed I do have it done, I won't be sent home because I ate when I wasn't supposed to, or something dumb.

Thanks.
February 27th, 2013, 09:29 AM
Brock's minion
I did the one hour, doctor gave me orange syrup to drink at home before my appointment. At the one hour point of when I took it the drew my blood. I was told to eat a protien rich breakfast and have no sugar. I ate no carbs or sugars before test and I was fine.

Michelle
February 27th, 2013, 10:07 AM
MrsLisaT's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I was told to eat nothing after midnight the night before the test. I thought that was standard for everyone but from reading some threads here I am finding that it is not.
February 27th, 2013, 10:15 AM
Sapphera's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I think different places do it differently... I've seen some where having to fast for the 1hr, then others like me that did not ... (my breakfast was a veggie omelette (no cheese) and I drank the stuff at 11am to test at noon).
WTTC #2
February 27th, 2013, 10:21 AM
Mega Super Mommy
You're definitely not supposed to eat or drink (besides water) or smoke (hopefully you don't smoke anyway ) or chew gum or anything between drinking the syrup and giving blood.

It seems that people either are supposed to fast or just not supposed to eat any carbs (bacon and eggs kind of breakfast) beforehand. Some websites say you don't have to fast or avoid carbs at all, but I'd play it safe and either fast or just eat protein for breakfast. Fasting is more important for the 3 hour test than the 1 hour.

Sometimes people get headaches afterward and it's recommended to drink a lot of water and avoid carbs then, too. Personally, I fasted about 12 hours, tested normally. Drank a lot of water and ate a big bowl of yogurt when I got home and was ok for the rest of the day.
jcperez likes this.

Last edited by rheaimedved; February 27th, 2013 at 10:23 AM.
February 27th, 2013, 10:23 AM
Elly M.'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I was told to fast. No food after midnight before the test. I did what they asked and failed the 1 hour. I go back this Friday for the 3 hour and have to fast for that as well. Good luck!

5/25/03 with us for 6 months
8/11/12 with us for 5 weeks

February 27th, 2013, 11:59 AM
ashj_1218's Avatar Hiya!
For my clinic you don't have to fast for the 1hr. But we do have to stay in the office the entire time and can't have food/drink/gum between taking the drink and getting blood drawn. I always assumed all clinics did it the same. I would think it would give a more accurate picture of blood sugar to at least have something on your belly. I always eat a breakfast that is fairly hearty, but mostly protein and complex carbs (ie: eggs, Greek yogurt, whole grain toast). So far it seems to have worked

But I do know you have to fast for the 3-hour. They want to see the spike on an empty stomach and watch it fall into normal range (or fail to, thus mama has GD).
February 27th, 2013, 12:43 PM
Ryan and Alex's Mommy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
No, you don't have to fast. My dr just told me not to go on a sugar bing before the test lol. I ate normally and did the test and had blood taken an hour later.

February 27th, 2013, 01:04 PM
misty3281's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Are you doing it at a hospital or clinic? If it's at the hospital you could try calling the lab directly and asking what they prefer. There's really no need to fast for the 1 hour, I had a bacon, egg, and cheese sandwich and hashbrown from McD like 30 min before drinking the stuff and still passed way below the cutoff, but that doesn't mean your office won't refuse to do it if you eat before and they prefer you don't eat. Sorry they didn't answer your question when you asked them.
February 27th, 2013, 01:29 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Thanks. Turns out I don't have to fast for the 1 hr. At least my doctor knows what's going on...
EverydayJoy and rheaimedved like this.
February 27th, 2013, 03:08 PM
Mega Super Mommy
yeah i was gonna say i did mine yesterday. I could eat before ( I just had scrambled eggs with cheese etc) but obviously once you drink the orange drink you have to wait an hour with no food or water

February 27th, 2013, 04:23 PM
Veteran
I didn't have to fast, just no sugar or carbs. They said I could have water if the drink made me feel sick while I waited. I hope you pass!

February 28th, 2013, 12:08 AM
usnwifey9's Avatar Veteran
I guess it really does differ depending on who you ask. When I took my glucose test while pg with DS I wasn't told to fast so I didn't, and then I was turned away when I got to the lab and wound up having to reschedule. With this pregnancy I was told by both a nurse and my doc that I didn't have to fast though they did advise me to avoid any extra sugary meals beforehand. Given my past experience I decided to call the lab ahead of time to double-check their protocol, and again I was told that I DID have to fast at least 8-10hrs before taking the test! As if that wasn't confusing enough, the lab tech I spoke to on the day of the test told me I actually DIDN'T have to fast for the 1hr test! Apparently no one knows what they're doing lol, so I stuck with what worked for me last time which was to fast and then take the test-- and I passed with flying colors . Good luck to you!
rheaimedved likes this.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search