Gestational Diabetes

Forum: May 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By pressedfairie
  • 2 Post By jcperez
  • 2 Post By kary4

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To May 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 4th, 2013, 09:30 AM
Veteran
I hate waiting on Dr offices to call. I was told on Thursday that I have Gestational Diabetes and that I will be getting a call from another office to set up an appointment time to go over how to prick my finger and everything related to gestational diabetes. This is all completely new to me so the only thing I have access of information to is via the internet (So thankful that there are sample menus online--but obviously everything works differently with everyone so I don't even know if what I'm eating is okay...some people can have fruit while others can't...some people can have whole wheat carbs while others can't, etc). I don't know my carb limit or anything of the sort and I don't have anything to measure my sugar level because I believe I will be getting it there? IDK...hopefully someone calls today.

**Update** I called my drs office and got the number to call and the place told me they called me on Friday and left a message...never got it. Anyhow my class is next Thursday from 12-4.

Last edited by ashez; March 5th, 2013 at 09:57 AM.
March 4th, 2013, 10:13 AM
EverydayJoy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I don't know anything about GD either, so I can't help much there! I'm sorry you have to go through this. Hopefully it will all be clear after you have your appointment.

Little Bud: Blooming in Heaven 1.24.12
March 4th, 2013, 10:26 AM
jcperez's Avatar 1 Busy Momma
Sorry to hear that. Im waiting to hear if I have it as well. I took the 3 hour test last week. You will prop. have to see an endocrinologist who will explain everything you need to know. I see one already for my thyroid issues. See explained a little about the diet. Basically, everything in moderation and counting carbs and sugars for each meal and day. Im sure when you go you will be given paperwork on it to help you along. Good luck with everything.

Mommy to Lorenzo, Marino and Remy
March 4th, 2013, 10:50 AM
Veteran
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcperez View Post
Sorry to hear that. Im waiting to hear if I have it as well. I took the 3 hour test last week. You will prop. have to see an endocrinologist who will explain everything you need to know. I see one already for my thyroid issues. See explained a little about the diet. Basically, everything in moderation and counting carbs and sugars for each meal and day. Im sure when you go you will be given paperwork on it to help you along. Good luck with everything.
You may want to call your OB office. I took my 3-hour on Wednesday and got my results on Thursday.
March 4th, 2013, 10:55 AM
pressedfairie's Avatar Super Mommy
Everyone in my immediate family is type 2 diabetic, so I skipped the diabetes info session I was offered. Here's the carb limits I stick to (and I did not get this from my high risk doc, rather I went by some basic guidelines I found online.)

Breakfast - 15-30 grams
Mid-morning snack - 15-30 g
Lunch - 45 g
Afternoon snack - 15-30 g
Dinner - 45-60 g
Nighttime snack - 30 g

It's very important that you eat small meals throughout the day (every 3 hours or so) to keep your blood sugar level. Fruit is usually okay to have in small amounts (as it fits in with the carb counts above), but many people can't have fruit in the morning. You may want to try it and see what happens. Whole grains digest differently than enriched grains, and the more fiber the better. Actually, if you're counting carbs and something has more than 5 grams of fiber, you can subtract half of the amount of fiber from your carb count for that item. This is because most of the fiber doesn't get digested and won't typically affect your blood sugar.

I have found that I'm most likely to have high blood sugar after lunch, but everyone is different. You will probably have to alter your diet to suit your own needs using the guidelines you're given by your doctor, as there is no way to know how your body reacts to what foods at certain times of day until you start testing your glucose. For instance, if I eat closer to 30 g of carbs first thing in the morning, I usually stay closer to 15 g for my morning snack. This helps with my after lunch numbers. You'll probably have to test 4 times a day - once first thing in the morning, and then 2 hours after each meal.

I have found that my nighttime snack is VERY important, so try not to skip it. You should have a very high protein snack (peanut butter, cottage cheese, or something similar) at that time. If you don't, you may find your fasting numbers in the morning will be higher than if you had eaten the snack. Here's some info on this: Dr. Oz - Sugar Highs Explained

Here are some other links that I've found helpful.

Gestational Diabetes Diet Guidelines

Carb Counting Made Easy

Fast Food Carb Counts (For when you find yourself needing to eat on the go.)

Hopefully, this info will get you by until you're able to see your doctor. Testing your blood sugar is rather simple, and a lot of companies give out free meters (so they can get you to buy their test strips.)
ashez likes this.

Thank you peimum for my awesome siggy!
March 4th, 2013, 11:10 AM
Ltem45
I am sorry you have to go through this. I am still waiting for my glucose results.
March 4th, 2013, 11:21 AM
jcperez's Avatar 1 Busy Momma
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashez View Post
You may want to call your OB office. I took my 3-hour on Wednesday and got my results on Thursday.
Im afraid to call! Going by no news is good news....
EverydayJoy and Mrsbowbin like this.

Mommy to Lorenzo, Marino and Remy
March 4th, 2013, 11:37 AM
May 2013 Cohost
Yeah, I would think they would call you for sure right away if you had it...but don't be afraid to call. You need to know either way...if you have it, the sooner you can treat it.
ashez and jcperez like this.
March 4th, 2013, 12:45 PM
Veteran
Quote:
Originally Posted by pressedfairie View Post
Everyone in my immediate family is type 2 diabetic, so I skipped the diabetes info session I was offered. Here's the carb limits I stick to (and I did not get this from my high risk doc, rather I went by some basic guidelines I found online.)

Breakfast - 15-30 grams
Mid-morning snack - 15-30 g
Lunch - 45 g
Afternoon snack - 15-30 g
Dinner - 45-60 g
Nighttime snack - 30 g

It's very important that you eat small meals throughout the day (every 3 hours or so) to keep your blood sugar level. Fruit is usually okay to have in small amounts (as it fits in with the carb counts above), but many people can't have fruit in the morning. You may want to try it and see what happens. Whole grains digest differently than enriched grains, and the more fiber the better. Actually, if you're counting carbs and something has more than 5 grams of fiber, you can subtract half of the amount of fiber from your carb count for that item. This is because most of the fiber doesn't get digested and won't typically affect your blood sugar.

I have found that I'm most likely to have high blood sugar after lunch, but everyone is different. You will probably have to alter your diet to suit your own needs using the guidelines you're given by your doctor, as there is no way to know how your body reacts to what foods at certain times of day until you start testing your glucose. For instance, if I eat closer to 30 g of carbs first thing in the morning, I usually stay closer to 15 g for my morning snack. This helps with my after lunch numbers. You'll probably have to test 4 times a day - once first thing in the morning, and then 2 hours after each meal.

I have found that my nighttime snack is VERY important, so try not to skip it. You should have a very high protein snack (peanut butter, cottage cheese, or something similar) at that time. If you don't, you may find your fasting numbers in the morning will be higher than if you had eaten the snack. Here's some info on this: Dr. Oz - Sugar Highs Explained

Here are some other links that I've found helpful.

Gestational Diabetes Diet Guidelines

Carb Counting Made Easy

Fast Food Carb Counts (For when you find yourself needing to eat on the go.)

Hopefully, this info will get you by until you're able to see your doctor. Testing your blood sugar is rather simple, and a lot of companies give out free meters (so they can get you to buy their test strips.)
Thanks for all the info!!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search