Summer babies

Forum: May 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree14Likes
  • 1 Post By Dragonflyldy
  • 1 Post By Mrsbowbin
  • 1 Post By EverydayJoy
  • 3 Post By 4 boys
  • 2 Post By branbran543
  • 1 Post By Sweet_Mama
  • 1 Post By Ltem45
  • 1 Post By ashj_1218
  • 1 Post By crunchywannabe
  • 2 Post By LolaBadola

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To May 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 4th, 2013, 09:46 AM
Veteran
Hi ladies
This will show you all my FTM ignorance but I was at target over the weekend baby shopping and realized I have no idea what a new born is supposed to be wearing over the summer!!!

I am in the Virginia so it gets HOT here in June/July/August ( the first 3 month) so not sure.

I bought him some bodysuits that had no legs and no sleeves, NB size ( i hope it fits!) for during the day when gets really HOT, and two NB pajamas that are long sleeve and pants with footsies? to sleep in - not sure if these will be to hot? I don't like AC on neither does my husband so we will probabbly keep that off unless it gets too hot, but we usually keep the house around 74-76 degrees in the summer, is this a good temperate for a NB? Will he get hot, cold? Maybe have him sleep without a cover ( I heard covers or too warm can cause SIDS too) so just have him in those pajamas with legs/footsies and long sleeve? they are cotton

Ok, panic time
Mrsbowbin likes this.

Last edited by Dragonflyldy; March 4th, 2013 at 09:53 AM.
March 4th, 2013, 09:59 AM
Brock's minion
Great question, I'm wondering all the same things.
Dragonflyldy likes this.

Michelle
March 4th, 2013, 10:30 AM
EverydayJoy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I have heard that you dress small babies in the same amount of clothing you would wear under the same circumstances, plus one thin layer extra. So like if you would wear a T shirt and shorts, dress him in about the same plus a little onesie underneath. At night, you might have to play it by ear. If it's so hot that you're laying in your own beds with nothing on and you're sweating, I'd just dress him in a diaper. Usually if babies are too hot or too cold, they'll fuss, so you should know if he is uncomfortable. You can also just check him a couple times after he's in bed and feel his skin to see if he feels too hot or too cold.
BTW, they don't recommend blankets or pillows or anything in the crib with baby, just clothes that will be warm enough on their own with no blankets. The swaddle-type blankets are ok, because they don't have loose ends to flap or get over baby's face.
And different babies are different---some are little mini-heaters like my son, who was born in January in Alaska. He would amaze me how warm he would be, despite the cabin being cold. I'd dress him up warm and then he'd be sweating! So, you just start by dressing them just slightly warmer than you'd dress yourself, and then adjust as necessary.

Can I say that no matter what the temperature out, that natural fibers are best! But especially for hot weather, you'll want to make sure his clothes are all 100% cotton. Rayon, silk, bamboo, etc are natural fibers too and will breathe. Polyester, acrylic, and such are man-made fibers and won't breathe, so I'd avoid them when you can. My son was a very fussy sleeper and I found he actually slept a little bit better when he was in all cotton---cotton jammies and cotton blankies and sheets in the bed.

Hope that helps! Sorry it's so long!
Dragonflyldy likes this.

Little Bud: Blooming in Heaven 1.24.12
March 4th, 2013, 10:33 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I haven't had a newborn in summer but I have had a 2-3 month old and what you describe is what I did with him. Cotton sleepers or onesies are good choices. We have a/c on in summer so I will probably wrap baby in a light blanket at least to start off with when it's really tiny.

The other thing is, babies all have preferences about how warm/cool they want to be. So if they are too warm or cool, they will let you know.
March 4th, 2013, 11:03 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Our ped says to keep the house around 68 degrees. We keep it there year round anyway so it is not a change for us. We can't stand anything hoter than that.

Ds1 was born im May and we dressed him in thin cotton onesies. We didnt go out much because it gets way too hot here.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Forum Runner
Purrrrrrr and Dragonflyldy like this.
DS-Sully(4)
DS-Gus(2)

March 4th, 2013, 11:10 AM
Sweet_Mama's Avatar Super Mommy
Ds was born in August and we kept him in onesies socks and maybe another shirt or short. They will get all sweaty if they are hot or scream we always kept a blanket for him and a swaddling blanket cuz they are thin but keep warmth in hope that helps.
Dragonflyldy likes this.

Kelsey Wife to Chris with 3 little gremlins and one on the way!!!
Jacob 08/09
Jesse 01/11
Johnny 04/13
Jaxon 07/14

"In MY world of PINK I am surrounded by BLUE!"

March 4th, 2013, 11:12 AM
Ltem45
Hmm I may have an overabudnance of cothes for the little guy. Very good information. As we get closer I am getting more anxious.
Dragonflyldy likes this.
March 4th, 2013, 11:23 AM
ashj_1218's Avatar Hiya!
I haven't had a summer baby yet. But I figure for the first week or two, unless baby proves otherwise, I will dress her in long sleeves and pants when in the house. We keep our house around 75 in the summer. But I know newborns can have trouble adjusting their temperature to the temperature. So I figure if I am wearing a t-shirt and shorts, she will be good in longer sleeves. I won't use blankets though. After those first couple weeks, I'll prolly dress her a bit lighter and let her tell me if she is cold. My middle son was a September baby and was a giant heater. It was less than a week when we realized he was always warm and we dressed him a little lighter. But DS1 was not a warm baby and we kept him in long sleeves and pants and socks, even some fleece options (he was an Oct. baby).

You will sorta figure it out based on how they act. Warm babies get fussy and their skin feels toasty. Don't stress too much about it. Just have a few options available and see what he tells you. We have similar weather here in MD and I am guessing by July baby will wear mostly onsies and shorts.
Dragonflyldy likes this.
March 4th, 2013, 12:40 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Yup, I'm planning on a naked baby for most of the days... and then light layers as needed when we go out, or at night.
Mrsbowbin likes this.

March 4th, 2013, 02:15 PM
Purrrrrrr's Avatar Semi-crunchy Mommy
DS was born during the summer (May 30th, actually!)... this is what I dressed him in:

During the day-- a short-sleeved onesie, some little shorts... no socks or shoes... it was REALLY hot (like over 100 most days)... I wore him a lot of the time we were out, so he was all wrapped up in my wrap

For naps and at night--a short-sleeved onesie and I swaddled him. That was it.

It was ungodly hot the summer he was born. We had the A/C up and we were still sweltering. I guess if it's not that hot, you could do those soft baby pants instead of shorts and pants to sleep in.

Proper swaddling is great for babies, so don't be afraid to swaddle. Nothing is a known cause of SIDS (or it wouldn't be called SIDS), but good air circulation has been shown to be very healthy for babies. As long as the blanket isn't covering their face and they're properly swaddled, then swaddle away!

My Boring Blog
March 4th, 2013, 02:18 PM
Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to LolaBadola
Quote:
Originally Posted by crunchywannabe View Post
Yup, I'm planning on a naked baby for most of the days... and then light layers as needed when we go out, or at night.
Nothing better than a naked baby! Oh gosh, I cannot wait to hold a tiny, squirmy body!
Purrrrrrr and EverydayJoy like this.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search