Weight gain.....

Forum: May 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree37Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To May 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 5th, 2013, 10:46 AM
CooleyBaby1's Avatar Regular
This is my first child so I am not really sure what to expect. I know everyone's bodies are different, but I was just wondering how much weight you have all gained with this pregnancy, prior pregnancies, and what you feel is normal or average???

I feel like I don't necessarily look like I have gained as much weight as I have, but maybe I do. I went to the doctor today and he said I just need to watch what I eat and excercise a little bit more....
March 5th, 2013, 10:58 AM
May 2013 Cohost
I gained 33 lbs with my first, but didn't even make it to 40 weeks.

So far with this one, I've gained 19 lbs. I'll be 32 weeks this Saturday.
CooleyBaby1 likes this.
March 5th, 2013, 10:59 AM
pressedfairie's Avatar Super Mommy
With DS, I gained just over 50 lbs. But my OB was never really concerned about my weight gain. I lost 35 lbs. within 2 weeks of giving birth by doing nothing. I was breastfeeding though, and I found that I was hungrier breastfeeding than I was pregnant. It took me about a year to lose the rest of the weight.

With this pregnancy, I have only gained 10 lbs. so far, and I started out about 3 lbs lighter at the start of this pregnancy vs. the last one. I was still breastfeeding DS the first 5 months of this pregnancy, so that might be why I was slow to gain. Right after I weaned him, I found out I have Gestational Diabetes, so I've been on a strict diet since about 22 weeks pregnant. I'm hoping to only gain about 10 more pounds, which seems reasonable to me.

I have heard that you will typically gain about 1 lb. a week in the second and third trimesters. But everyone is different, and I would say that if you're eating healthy foods, I wouldn't worry about the weight gain too much.
CooleyBaby1 likes this.

Thank you peimum for my awesome siggy!
March 5th, 2013, 11:12 AM
EverydayJoy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Some doctors freak too much about weight gain. The important thing is to grow a healthy baby, not be so nervous about your weight gain that you don't eat when you're hungry or something.
So far I have gained 18 lbs which I am very happy with, I have 9 weeks to go.
With DS I gained 30 lbs. I was able to get back to my pre-pregnancy weight probably about 10 months after his birth.

Little Bud: Blooming in Heaven 1.24.12
March 5th, 2013, 12:11 PM
Brock's minion
13 pounds and I'm trying to keep it down.
CooleyBaby1 likes this.

Michelle
March 5th, 2013, 12:33 PM
jcperez's Avatar 1 Busy Momma
This pregnancy I have only gained 13 pounds so far. How? I have no idea? With my first two I gained 60 pounds both times! I dont think I have done anything different other than starting this pregnancy off a little heavier this time. I really dont believe in a "normal" pregnancy weight. I think everyone is different. I lost the weight pretty fast with my first two.
CooleyBaby1 likes this.

Mommy to Lorenzo, Marino and Remy
March 5th, 2013, 01:21 PM
hangaroo81's Avatar Veteran
This is my first pregnancy and I've gained 30 lbs so far. I was a toothpick before and this pregnancy has been all belly.
CooleyBaby1 likes this.
March 5th, 2013, 01:26 PM
Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to LolaBadola
30 lbs. so far and that's with changing absolutely nothing about my eating or workout habits, both of which I'm meticulous with. So it just goes to show that your body will gain what your body wants to gain! I gained close to 50 with DD. Hoping this time it's less (I tend to gain a lot in the 1st & 2nd tri and not much at the end), but I lost it pretty quickly the last time and will again. Don't stress!
CooleyBaby1 likes this.

March 5th, 2013, 02:15 PM
Super Mommy
About 35 lbs so far. Have no idea how or why. Only started gaining after 20 weeks. I have been gaining 3-5 lbs a week ever since -- even though I started eating much healthier and I do incorporate some exercise in my daily routine.

With my DD I gained 60 lbs but I lost it all in six months. Swore I'll never gain that much ever again, but so far I think I'll go over 60 lbs.
CooleyBaby1 likes this.
March 5th, 2013, 02:59 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I gained 40-45 lbs with all my other pregnancies. This time I've only gained about 15 lbs so far but I am trying to be careful, and I wasn't trying all the other times. It took 4 years after my last one to lose all that weight and I didn't want to do that again so that's why I'm really watching it this time. I will probably end up gaining about 30 lbs.

If you were a healthy weight to begin with, they say the average amount to gain is 25-35 lbs. If you are eating healthy and gain more or less, then I don't think it's a big deal. Some people's bodies just gain more or less naturally.
CooleyBaby1 likes this.
March 5th, 2013, 03:15 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Skimboardin Mama Send a message via MSN to Skimboardin Mama Send a message via Yahoo to Skimboardin Mama
I've gained 21 lbs and was trying for only 30 lbs which is what I gained with DD. I think i'll go slightly over but i'm trying not too... okay okay I'm not trying THA hard but hopefully i'll do more walking and exercise than i have been and eating right during spring break
CooleyBaby1 and Mrsbowbin like this.

March 5th, 2013, 05:27 PM
Super Mommy
I'm still down 4 pounds from the start, but i'm on my way up! 32 weeks on Saturday.
CooleyBaby1 likes this.
March 5th, 2013, 05:39 PM
Purrrrrrr's Avatar Semi-crunchy Mommy
With DS, I gained 70-freakin'-pounds.... and it was in my last trimester. I didn't have any complications... no blood pressure issues or anything. I just swelled the heck up! I lost half of it when I delivered.

This one, I lost 35lbs and I'm back up 5... so I'm still down 30.
CooleyBaby1 likes this.

My Boring Blog
March 5th, 2013, 05:47 PM
Mega Super Mommy
This is my first pregnancy.
I have finally put weight on and I've gained about 10 pounds. I did lose weight in my first through half of my second trimester. And it's been 2 months and each month I put on 5 pounds. I don't think that bad at all.
I really don't want to gain anymore but that's all up to my body and baby.
CooleyBaby1 likes this.
March 5th, 2013, 06:34 PM
EverydayJoy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Nasha--just my thought, I would recommend that you put on more weight if I were your doctor
10 lbs is not much at all considering how thin you were prior to baby.

Little Bud: Blooming in Heaven 1.24.12
March 5th, 2013, 07:25 PM
markswife's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
i gained 12 pounds with DD and I've gained 6 pounds this time so far. I don't watch what I eat and I don't work out so I have no explanation for what is going on with me. I could gain 6 pounds not pregnant in less than a weekend.
CooleyBaby1 likes this.
March 5th, 2013, 08:31 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I'm 5'10", started at 130, gained about 40 lbs in 20 weeks. I was on bed rest from weeks 8-20 (once the nausea went away--about week 11--I started gaining). Since week 22 I've been able to exercise a lot and I just generally eat well, so I'm not worried about it. I would feel differently if I couldn't exercise. I think it's good for doctors not to make a big deal about it (mine sure haven't)...

However much you've gained, it sounds like your doctor wasn't being very alarmist about it. It's not worth stressing over, but I will ALWAYS advise exercising and eating healthy, regardless of pregnancy
CooleyBaby1 likes this.
March 5th, 2013, 09:03 PM
Memi's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
With DS I gained just over 40 lbs. So far with this oregnancy I've gained 30 lbs. With less than 10 weeks left it seems like im on track to gain the same amount which I guess im okay with. I assume its just how much my body gains for a pregnancy, but I definetely would rather not gain more than that.
CooleyBaby1 likes this.

March 5th, 2013, 09:08 PM
This is my first baby and am abit worried that I will put on alot of weight. I was told to eat right and exercise and not eat for 2 persons. Anyway, I am staying away from food with high salt content and eating iron rich food. Already have my game plan on after delivery - body pumps, spinning, low carbs diet, compression garment, pilates!!!
EverydayJoy and CooleyBaby1 like this.
March 6th, 2013, 02:43 AM
Shufu_in_Shunan's Avatar Padawan Kim
This is my first pregnancy and so far I've gained around 28 pounds (I'm 31 weeks along). My doctor said a "normal" amount to gain throughout pregnancy for most women is 25-35 pounds, and said I'd probably gain closer to 35, since I started out really small. It's kind of alarming seeing such a larger number on the scale when you're not used to it. My weight never really fluctuated more than one or two pounds before pregnancy, so it's a strange feeling! I'm not terribly concerned, since I feel like I look mostly the same other than my protruding belly. I've never really had to try to lose weight before, though, so I hope it's not too difficult for me after the baby comes! :S
CooleyBaby1 likes this.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search