Anyone Vitamin D deficient?

Forum: May 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By EverydayJoy
  • 1 Post By EverydayJoy
  • 1 Post By Sapphera

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To May 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 5th, 2013, 06:02 PM
pressedfairie's Avatar Super Mommy
When I had my blood drawn around 20 weeks, I was told that I was Vitamin D deficient, which is ironic because I was already taking 1000 I.U. of D3. (I normally take a D3 supplement in the wintertime.) So I upped my dose to 5000 I.U. At my last appt. they wanted to take blood again to check my Vitamin D and Hemoglobin. I won't know the results until later this week.

Anyone else deficient in Vitamin D? If so, how much are you supplementing?

Thank you peimum for my awesome siggy!
March 5th, 2013, 06:06 PM
Brock's minion
I was told my vitamin D was at the same level as an 80 year old lmao. I take one RX pill per week and have for a few years. It's a crazy amount of IU's per week but its keeping me regulated.

Michelle
March 5th, 2013, 06:12 PM
EverydayJoy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I've heard it said that due to our lifestyle (office jobs/warnings to stay out of the sun because of skin cancer) that most of Northern Americans are chronically deficient in Vit D. I am not currently supplementing, although I should be! And I haven't had it tested. It's not something my doc does routinely so I would have to ask her. I wouldn't be surprised if I am deficient though.
When I was pregnant with DS, my midwife had me taking 3000 a day without even checking my levels...that was up in Alaska, where the sun's rays are more slanted/less direct, and the winter can be pretty dark, so she recommended it for all her preggos.
pressedfairie and Mrsbowbin like this.

Little Bud: Blooming in Heaven 1.24.12
March 5th, 2013, 07:29 PM
markswife's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I have no idea if my doctor even checks this. I'll have to ask on Thursday.
March 5th, 2013, 08:20 PM
Mega Super Mommy
No clue, but I doubt it with all the milk I drink..
March 5th, 2013, 09:15 PM
EverydayJoy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Rhea, milk only provides the bare minimum of vitamin D needed to prevent rickets. I read that if you lay outside in full sun with no clothes for an hour at noon (I mean, cause we all do that right??), you would get the equivalent of 20,000 IU of vitamin D. Not to mention a nice sunburn. Anyway, I think a serving of milk has maybe 400 IUs? Not very much! So you can still be deficient.
Mrsbowbin likes this.

Little Bud: Blooming in Heaven 1.24.12
March 6th, 2013, 07:13 AM
Sapphera's Avatar NTNP Host
I haven't had my levels tested, but I take 2000 IUs of Vit D ontop of whatever is in my prenatal and have for about 10 years (us Canucks don't get a lot of sun).

I read somewhere a long time ago that pregnant ladies should take anywhere between 2000-5000 a day. *Shrug*
EverydayJoy likes this.
NTNP #2

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search