Got me thinking..

Forum: May 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree14Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To May 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 7th, 2013, 09:37 AM
Mega Super Mommy
After the "how far are you from the hospital" post I started to think about the drive to the hospital.

I live alone, the closest friend I have is about 15 mins away and my family is 30 mins away. So now Im thinking who would I call to take me to the hospital or will I have to take myself?!

Are your husbands going to be home those days before and after your due date? or will you drive yourself?
Mrsbowbin likes this.
March 7th, 2013, 09:44 AM
Sapphera's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
DH isn't taking any time off until "it's time".. so I expect I'll probably do the frantic phone call to his work with a "get home now".. but since I'm planning on staying home as long as possible.. who knows what will happen. (Especially since with my hospital, you don't go in until contractions are 5 minutes apart or water has broken... so if my water doesn't break.. I don't see driving with contractions every 5 minutes being that..safe.
WTTC #2
March 7th, 2013, 09:57 AM
Liztastic's Avatar Super Mommy
My OH is not taking any time off work either so if he is working when I go into labor I will have to call him and tell him it's time, but like Sapphera I plan on staying home as long as possible so he may have time to finish out the day. I also have to call the appropriate people to come get my children. My first two labors were 28 and 24 hours long, my last labor was only about 5 hours long, but that was because I was induced and I really don't want to be induced again. So I'm assuming I will have plenty of time to get my children to where they need to be, get OH home and labor some at home before going in. Otherwise I guess I may get the homebirth I've always wanted...lol.
EverydayJoy likes this.

Mom to:
Madalynn Faith ~ 2001
Alala Love ~ 2004
Elle Rain ~ 2008
Tilly Moon ~ 2013
March 7th, 2013, 10:17 AM
Elly M.'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
DH is not taking time off until Chase is born. One of two things will happen, he will get a call from me while he is at work asking him to come home, or I will be scheduled to be induced. My son was almost 2 weeks late and I had to be induced. Of course, I could go into labor at night or on a weekend so I wouldn't have to worry about calling him at work. I actually am hoping I have a set date to be induced. I am a bit of a control freak, so I like to have everything planned. I do not like to be suprised, lol.

If I were you, I would plan to call your friend since she is closer, and just call your family on the way so they can meet you there.

5/25/03 with us for 6 months
8/11/12 with us for 5 weeks

March 7th, 2013, 10:30 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Dh is taking time off after the baby so he will probably be at work. It is about half an hour away. He works swing shifts so he possibly could be home. It just depends. If not, I am not opposed to driving myself.
DS-Sully(4)
DS-Gus(2)

March 7th, 2013, 10:35 AM
EverydayJoy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I wouldn't drive yourself, Nasha! If you had to, I imagine you could call 911 if no one could come get you in time. But just start making a plan of who you will call when the time comes. If your parents, then call them when you are in early labor, so they can come and be with you. You might want to have your mom with you during the early part to keep you company and be your support person. Then they can drive you to the hospital when the time comes.

I'm not sure what will be going on with work for hubby, it's possible he could be a very long way away from me when the big day comes. He had the idea to ask his mom to come stay with me when I get real close. I also have my mom and sister, both about a half hour away, and my doula, an hour away. I have two girl friends that both live only about 5 minutes. So I think I'm pretty well covered.

Little Bud: Blooming in Heaven 1.24.12
March 7th, 2013, 11:12 AM
Purrrrrrr's Avatar Semi-crunchy Mommy
Don't drive yourself if you're in active labor, you might have a contraction and run yourself off the road. I would just keep your friend and family informed when your contractions start getting regular and see who's available to come take you. If all else fails, call a taxi or an ambulance.

I have no idea who's going to take me in... either DH or my parents.
Mrsbowbin likes this.

My Boring Blog
March 7th, 2013, 11:17 AM
Veteran
You'll be fine. With my DD, I was living alone in a different state with no family or friends, and DH was 300 miles away. I drove myself to the hospital and DH came after 12 hours. I thought of either having a doula or just call an ambulance if I couldn't do it alone, but it wasn't bad, after my water broke, I drove myself to the hospital.
March 7th, 2013, 11:31 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Yea, it was a question that came up when I was at my last doctor visit. I didnt give it much thought considering I still had weeks to go. but as of tomorrow I am 31 weeks and baby seems to be right on track with growth, so i know that definitely theres a huge chance that my due date will not be extended or moved.

My first thought was call an ambulance but after talking with my mom a few times I know she is willing to be near when my due date is closer. We have even talked about her taking off work for the two weeks after the baby is born so she can stay with my to help ease me into motherhood. Not to mention I have aunties and cousins who are willing to give me a helping hand. So I think my worries are slowly being setteled

All of you are lucky to be married!! seriously!
EverydayJoy and CooleyBaby1 like this.
March 7th, 2013, 11:39 AM
Regular
My first we went to the hospital at 3am so my husband was home. My second I luckly had my water break on his day off so again he was home. His job he can sometimes be almost 2 hours away. So starting next month he'll be switched to working only locally. I was in labor for 16 hours from water breakage to baby out so I don't have any issues hanging home until he can rush home for me. Having no family here and a 6 yr old in school and a 2 yr old is more my bigger problem.
IUI Aug.17 / 20 million with 95% motilty after wash
Faint BFP 10 & 11dpiui
Beta#1 at 11dpiui: 24 / #2 at 13dpiui: 54 / #3 at 15dpiui: 107
U/S #1: Sept. 17th ~ 1 little jelly bean
Anatomy scan: Dec. 19th ~ It's a BOY!!

Born on his due date May 10th at 1:39pm weighing 8lbs 9oz & 22 inches long ~ VBAC#2
March 7th, 2013, 11:52 AM
CooleyBaby1's Avatar Regular
My husband won't be taking any work off until after the baby, which is the same as I hope to do as well. If it happens during the day I will call him first, but he travels over 5 counties with his job so I am not sure where he will be when I go into labor. My back up plan is to have someone from my office drive me if it happens when I am at work.

If possible, I would like to try and drive myself if I go early enough, and my husband can't drive me. But his grandparents live like 500 feet from our house and my parents are pretty close, so I am sure someone will get me there in time if he can't!

If I were you I would go ahead and have your friends on "call" when it gets closer to time so that way you for sure have someone available when you are ready!
March 7th, 2013, 01:23 PM
Brock's minion
Make sure you have plan a,b and c. Driving yourself doesn't seem to be a real option.
TeeCee likes this.

Michelle
March 7th, 2013, 01:59 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Usually, especially first time Mamas, you have plenty of warning.

Sounds like you have good people lined up. I'm not worried about driving myself, I'm more worried about what happens to the other 9 kids we have. So in that regards, no worries for you It will all work out.

Congrats on 31 weeks BTW!
TeeCee and SunnyBunnyMama like this.

March 7th, 2013, 02:12 PM
Mega Super Mommy
awe
thank you!!!!

i am super excited 31 weeks is finally here!!!
March 7th, 2013, 02:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Counting our Blessings View Post

Sounds like you have good people lined up. I'm not worried about driving myself, I'm more worried about what happens to the other 9 kids we have. So in that regards, no worries for you It will all work out.

Can the oldest watch the younger ones for you? Is he/she old enough to be home alone?

March 7th, 2013, 04:49 PM
Mega Super Mommy
She's 12....so borderline. But leaving a 12 year old home with 8 others is expecting a little much. She can do it, super responsible, but I feel bad leaving her for more than 30 minutes. I feel it's expecting a lot for her to do meals, bedtimes, laundry, cooking, all that, even though the others help out a lot as well.

We don't have Grandparents that enjoy doing it, they will if they "have" to, but they are more than willing to leave her alone and just have her call if she needs help. Agh. My hubby ends up being home a lot when I'm in the hospital just because we don't have family to help . And they all live close, one set of Grandparents within eyesight.

March 7th, 2013, 05:40 PM
Veteran
Quote:
Originally Posted by Counting our Blessings View Post

Gosh, you have 9 and the oldest is 12!? You must be super powerful and brave!!
March 7th, 2013, 05:48 PM
Shufu_in_Shunan's Avatar Padawan Kim
We don't have a car here, so I have to either call a taxi or call my husband's boss! His boss is a former nurse, so she has been pretty helpful at times and even drove us to the hospital for our first visit. I'm still not sure how I'm supposed to get the baby home...

March 7th, 2013, 05:49 PM
That's too bad that the grands don't like to help any more than that. Especially for child-birth, you'd think for a special occasion they'd be able to lend a hand.

March 7th, 2013, 06:00 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Skimboardin Mama Send a message via MSN to Skimboardin Mama Send a message via Yahoo to Skimboardin Mama
I think with your first you usually know when it's time and be able to call someone because things are getting started.

I'll hopefully be home with DD and DH will be in school full time. He knows to keep his phone on and we only live 5 minutes from his school. I also have night school, so hopefully I don't go into labor there... i'd be super embarrassed if my water broke there

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search