Ultrasound results

Forum: May 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By jcperez
  • 1 Post By NewlyMrs
  • 1 Post By kary4

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To May 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 8th, 2013, 04:01 PM
EverydayJoy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
So I didn't get any good pictures, Baby had both of his hands crossed in front of his face. I told the tech not to worry about it, since we got good pictures last time, so he didn't print anything out for me this time. He was just focusing in on the kidneys anyway.

So the baby's kidneys are like last time, the right one is normal and the left is duplicated. It's like one large kidney with two separate inner functioning parts. As for ureters, they're not really visible on ultrasound, so we can't tell how they are, whether he has double ureters or not like me. The geneticist that met with me afterward said that's good that they can't see them, because that means they're not dilated.
The normal kidney on the right is larger than would be expected for baby's age, and has some fluid backed up in it, so it is dilated. The left kidney looked ok, maybe a little dilated on one of the inner parts. He said the kidney tissue on both kidneys looks healthy, so that's good.

I'll go for another ultrasound in 3 weeks. DH and I will also probably meet with a urologist to discuss this further prior to my due date.

Possible outcomes of this could be, baby may have a problem at birth that might require immediate surgery, baby might be fine but they might want to do a CT scan with dye to look more closely at his kidneys shortly after birth, or we might just watch him and follow up on it when he is a little bigger. It all depends on how things progress and how his kidneys are looking as we do more ultrasounds. If he does need surgery or imaging right away, he will have to go to a different hospital, so I could either deliver at my chosen one and then go be with baby at the other, or I could deliver at the other hospital so I could stay close to him. So we'll see how this all pans out.

Little Bud: Blooming in Heaven 1.24.12
March 8th, 2013, 08:23 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I'm guessing this is good news? I don't mean to sound dumb, I just couldn't remember why they were looking at his kidneys. It sounds like you have lots of knowledge and plans in place to make sure your little man is healthy

I'm glad you got to see him again!

March 8th, 2013, 08:53 PM
Sorry, I'm re-reading my post and realizing it's a bit too wordy/in-depth.
I am not sure if it's good or bad news, I think it's just more information and possibilities to consider. The doctor I talked to after my ultrasound last time made light of it, like "Oh we see this, and it's rarely ever a problem," while this doctor, who is a geneticist, told me that there are some things that could be a problem with this, and he wants to watch the baby more closely than the previous doctor did. So it seems like bad news because he was much more concerned about it than the last time we went in for an ultrasound.
I might switch hospitals that I'll deliver in, just to be in one that has the best care for baby should there be any problems. I think we'll know more once we see a urologist. I guess ultrasound isn't the best for looking at this type of problem, a CT with dye would be best, but I don't think they do those on babies in utero.
Anywho...hope that explains better!

March 8th, 2013, 08:53 PM
jcperez's Avatar 1 Busy Momma
Oh...Im sorry your little guy is having these issues. I am sure things will work out. Hope you can get a more info. after speaking with the urologist and he will ease your mind a little better.
EverydayJoy likes this.

Mommy to Lorenzo, Marino and Remy
March 9th, 2013, 08:59 AM
Sapphera's Avatar NTNP Host
I'm glad that it wasn't all bad news, but glad that you have some ideas of the game plan in place ... hopefully things will improve on the next u/s!!
NTNP #2
March 9th, 2013, 06:30 PM
NewlyMrs's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Thinking of you guys and hoping intervention is minimal. It sounds like you're in good hands!
EverydayJoy likes this.

March 10th, 2013, 01:28 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I am glad that things went mostly well.. I think that it may be a good thing that at least it is something that they can begin to plan for!! I know it's difficult regardless, and may involve what if's and decisions, but at least they have some plans or will in the near future. glad you are doing ok ..
March 10th, 2013, 01:31 PM
Thanks...I had a little cry about it yesterday but feel better now. Now I just have to adjust to delivering at a different hospital. Gonna have to call them and get all the specs about L&D there. Their website info looks good. We'll see how it goes!

March 10th, 2013, 05:51 PM
May 2013 Cohost
Hi Joy,

I'm sorry you're having to deal with this, but it does sound like you're in good hands. I hope the intervention your little one may need is minimal, and I'll be thinking about you guys. Keep us posted.
EverydayJoy likes this.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search