Anemic

Forum: May 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Ryan and Alex's Mommy
  • 1 Post By Elly M.
  • 1 Post By mommaerin

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To May 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 8th, 2013, 03:03 PM
Ryan and Alex's Mommy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Anyone else here anemic? I found out today I am and so i need to take iron pills. Has anyone else been diognosed this and did you feel better after taking more iron? Now I know why i've been so tired/exhausted lately. I hope the pills help.

March 8th, 2013, 03:07 PM
EverydayJoy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I have been told I am anemic but haven't bought any iron supplements yet, I'm waiting for payday.
I know from experiencing low blood volume after a m/c last year, and then getting a transfusion, that having enough iron/red blood cells can make sooo much of a difference in your energy level, breathing, and even your emotional state. I recall at the time I felt so fragile and weepy and vulnerable, then they gave me the transfusion and I felt like a new woman. Like, OK, I can do this, I can manage this. So it can really make a difference.

From what I understand, your body has to use up all its iron stores for you to show anemic on blood tests, so it can take awhile to build you back up again. So give it some time before you'd expect to see results.

Little Bud: Blooming in Heaven 1.24.12
March 8th, 2013, 03:20 PM
Ya, that's what i've read. I've been super tired, emotional, fatigued so i'm hoping within a few weeks i'll feel a difference. It would be nice to feel like a new women lol!
EverydayJoy likes this.

March 8th, 2013, 03:26 PM
Brock's minion
When I was hospitalized they said I was borderline anemic, I had some iron pill issues so my doc said until my numbers drop (if they do) I could do without the pills.

Michelle
March 8th, 2013, 05:28 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Im horribly anemic. I take 3 iron pills a day and every few months i have to do a 5 week round of iron infusions. I see a hemotologist for it and i start testing to figure out the cause shortly after the baby is born. The iron pills will definatly help you, depending on how bad your anemia is you should start to feel better in about a week.
March 8th, 2013, 05:31 PM
Veteran
I am severely anemic, ferratin level of 3 Even though I take a regular multivitamin, the prenatal and two iron supplements I still am registering as anemic so they referred me to a hematologist. He said that at this point in our pregnancies it is pretty common to show up as anemic because the baby is taking what they need first. That helped put me at ease. Unfortunately,to echo the other ladies, it takes about 6 months to build up your iron supplies so hopefully that is when we will start to feel better.

March 8th, 2013, 05:36 PM
Elly M.'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I am anemic also (so is my grandmother, mother, and sister) However I just found out also. I have been taking the iron pills for a week now and do not notice much of a difference yet. That could be because I also have GD. So hopefully soon I will start seeing a change. I know this sounds strange, but through my years of training and owning horses, I have dealt with a few that were anemic. After I started them on iron, the difference was huge. They were stronger, had more energy, and were much happier. So I believe that those of us who are starting on iron will feel much better soon
EverydayJoy likes this.

5/25/03 with us for 6 months
8/11/12 with us for 5 weeks

March 8th, 2013, 05:42 PM
Veteran
... ALSO JUST AN FYI- after being anemic for the last 6 years I just had the new hematologist tell me not to take my supplements with calcium. It counteracts your body's ability to absorb the iron. I couldn't believe that after all these years nobody had ever told me that. He also said that I should take the iron with some oj because it will help my body absorb.
EverydayJoy likes this.

March 8th, 2013, 08:32 PM
ok, so i forgot to ask the dr stuff but mostly because all these answers...now i have questions...

Can i still take my prenatal vitamin with the pills i got? What i got was a prenatal supp[lement it says "iron and folic acid with vitamin c" or should i just take that alone now?

It says i have to take it at night on an empty stomach, i will drink water with it but if i get heartburn which usually happends when i go to bed does that mean i can't take tums anymore?

March 8th, 2013, 09:56 PM
EverydayJoy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Generally when you're anemic, they prescribe iron pills that you take in addition to your prenatal pill. Because, if what was in the prenatal pill was enough, then you wouldn't be anemic! So you need more iron than the prenatal pill is providing.
Is there any way you can take the pill at a time where it's not likely to give you heartburn? Because the Tums could very well be interfering with your absorption of the iron in your prenatal pill. You could also look into taking something for heartburn that doesn't have calcium in it, I think Mylanta is the other option for heartburn for pregnant women. That way you could still use it for your pill at night. Good luck!

Little Bud: Blooming in Heaven 1.24.12
March 9th, 2013, 02:56 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Iron suppliments can also cause alot of constipation so keep an eye out for that too.
March 9th, 2013, 03:50 PM
Regular
I still take my prenatal vits with the extra iron. I'm taking 195mg of iron. Due to multiple m/c I have to use a daily blood thinner injection to maintain a pregnancy and the shots cause anemia. It did cause constipation so a 50mg daily Colace helped with that. I definitely noticed a huge improvement in energy so you should too after a few days.
IUI Aug.17 / 20 million with 95% motilty after wash
Faint BFP 10 & 11dpiui
Beta#1 at 11dpiui: 24 / #2 at 13dpiui: 54 / #3 at 15dpiui: 107
U/S #1: Sept. 17th ~ 1 little jelly bean
Anatomy scan: Dec. 19th ~ It's a BOY!!

Born on his due date May 10th at 1:39pm weighing 8lbs 9oz & 22 inches long ~ VBAC#2

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search