Birth control after baby is born

Forum: May 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree9Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To May 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 9th, 2013, 12:53 PM
Elly M.'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I know this is a little soon to be thinking about this, but what are you girls planning on doing for birth control after baby is born (if any)? I will be breast feeding, but no matter what anyone says, I do not think that is fool proof birth control. I am not sure about taking the pill while breast feeding and I don't trust condoms. This baby will be our last, so we need to figure out what are plan is. If I end up having a C-section, I will be asking the Dr. for a tubal ligation while he is "in there". DH said he will just get a vasectomy after the baby is born, but I am uneasy about that also. I actually have a friend who has a son even after her DH had a vasectomy, so I would always be nervous. I would actually love to have one more baby after Chase is born, but we just don't think it is in the cards. I have had a few losses, one at 6 months, and I feel like I would be psuhing my luck by trying again. Plus, DH and I both feel that we would have a hard time giving three kids all the attention they need and deserve. Two just sounds perfect to us (we have one son who is 10, almost 11 ) So what are your plans? Would you like more children after this?
Mrsbowbin likes this.

5/25/03 with us for 6 months
8/11/12 with us for 5 weeks

March 9th, 2013, 01:21 PM
Brock's minion
I want to go back to back so none for me. We plan to practice safer sex for the first six months and then wait and see. I'm hoping to get pregnant while breast feeding so that I don't have to stop.

Michelle
March 9th, 2013, 01:50 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Tubal for me

March 9th, 2013, 02:23 PM
Ltem45
I am not sure yet. I have pcos and was about ready to go the fertility doctor when I got pregnant with this lil guy. I would love to have two sons close in age, but my husband does not want Irish twins. I am worried about going on the pill and then if we decide to have a second it taking a longer time to get pregnant. I was off any birth control for two plus years when I finally got pregnant.
March 9th, 2013, 02:38 PM
Mega Super Mommy
ugh... you mean we have to have sex again? is abstinence an option? kidding

We practice F.A.M. and used condoms as I quit all hormonal birth control after my mom was diagnosed with breast cancer. I imagine we'll go back to that method, as it worked very well for us. When we are done having babies for good, I'll look into more permanent and hormone free options. But a tubal is not on the table for me, but dh getting snipped may be

March 9th, 2013, 02:57 PM
EverydayJoy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I'll use the mini pill if they will let me after this one is born. (I had a blood clot in my lung last year so I think they might say no to hormonal birth control with that in your medical history). DH doesn't like IUD's, we tried that, and it was uncomfortable for him. I don't want to do anything permanent, and I like the ease of the pill.

I think I might like to have another baby after this, but all the medical complications surrounding me being pregnant (depression, heart stuff, and now kidney stuff for baby) make both of us nervous to try for another. We'll see. I know if I absolutely had to shut that door on another baby I would be heartbroken. So just a wait and see for now suits me well.

Little Bud: Blooming in Heaven 1.24.12
March 9th, 2013, 03:04 PM
Mega Super Mommy
We don't use birth control, so if we are blessed with another baby that would be wonderful, if not, that's okay too

This will be our 10th and we would welcome more. I'll be almost 39 when this one is born......so getting to the end for babies.
jcperez likes this.

March 9th, 2013, 03:23 PM
pressedfairie's Avatar Super Mommy
We don't want anymore kids after this. Two is plenty for us. We've talked about permanent options, but I just don't know how I feel about a tubal. If I have a C-section, I might get it done, but I'm not 100%. I would prefer that DH get a vasectomy, but he doesn't like that idea. So, I have no idea what we'll do.

Thank you peimum for my awesome siggy!
March 9th, 2013, 03:27 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Dh had a vasectomy about a month ago. A tubal was never an option as I have seen the side effects. Everyone I know that has ever had one has had health problems thst have been linked to tubals. I am surprised doctos still advise them.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Forum Runner
crunchywannabe likes this.
DS-Sully(4)
DS-Gus(2)

March 9th, 2013, 04:02 PM
Regular
I just turned 40, have fertility issues and a m/c history so this baby is #3 and we're done! My husband will have a vasectomy over the summer.
IUI Aug.17 / 20 million with 95% motilty after wash
Faint BFP 10 & 11dpiui
Beta#1 at 11dpiui: 24 / #2 at 13dpiui: 54 / #3 at 15dpiui: 107
U/S #1: Sept. 17th ~ 1 little jelly bean
Anatomy scan: Dec. 19th ~ It's a BOY!!

Born on his due date May 10th at 1:39pm weighing 8lbs 9oz & 22 inches long ~ VBAC#2
March 9th, 2013, 05:00 PM
misty3281's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm getting the Mirena IUD put back in. My insurance doesn't cover birth control so it's cheaper in the long run to have that put in than pay for my Yaz which was $100/month. I loved the IUD when I had it though. When it's time to change it out in 5 years DH will get a vasectomy. We talked about him doing it now but again insurance doesn't cover it so I'm hoping it will in the future. If not we'll just pay out of pocket.
March 9th, 2013, 05:16 PM
jcperez's Avatar 1 Busy Momma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Counting our Blessings View Post
We don't use birth control, so if we are blessed with another baby that would be wonderful, if not, that's okay too

This will be our 10th and we would welcome more. I'll be almost 39 when this one is born......so getting to the end for babies.
Thats AWESOME!

Quote:
Originally Posted by misty3281 View Post
I'm getting the Mirena IUD put back in. My insurance doesn't cover birth control so it's cheaper in the long run to have that put in than pay for my Yaz which was $100/month. I loved the IUD when I had it though. When it's time to change it out in 5 years DH will get a vasectomy. We talked about him doing it now but again insurance doesn't cover it so I'm hoping it will in the future. If not we'll just pay out of pocket.
Be careful with Mirena. There are alot of problems and lawsuits coming out now associated with Mirena. Im surprised thats still even an option out there.

Mommy to Lorenzo, Marino and Remy
March 9th, 2013, 05:29 PM
jcperez's Avatar 1 Busy Momma
Not sure yet what I will have done but my baby making days will be officially done. 3babies for me is def. enough. Not to mention my health problems, the severe morning sickness and the big scare I had with this pregnancy regarding brain problems. I think its a sign for me to stop after this one. I wish hubby would get a vasectomy but he wont do it. The pill isnt recommended for me with my blood pressure issues. There is something out there that is called Ensure. My dr. mentioned it to me. I will have to look into that a little bit more and see if its something that will work for me.

Mommy to Lorenzo, Marino and Remy
March 9th, 2013, 05:32 PM
Super Mommy
I did not use ANY birth control while I was breastfeeding DD and I did not get pregnant although I was hoping I would. Only after I weaned her a year later that I fell pregnant again. So I am going to count on breastfeeding again. Then natural birth control, just safe sex. I will never take pills or mess up with my body. I hate condoms too, they are very uncomfortable. For now I think two are enough, but I fall regnant again I wouldn't be unhappy. I know for sure that after a couple of years (when I graduate and find a real stable job) I will want more kids anyways
March 10th, 2013, 04:10 AM
misty3281's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcperez View Post
Be careful with Mirena. There are alot of problems and lawsuits coming out now associated with Mirena. Im surprised thats still even an option out there.
I don't put much stake into all of the lawsuits surrounding the different types of birth control and other meds. Everything they name on the commercials is all things that are listed on the products themselves as possible complications, not to mention if the doctor was any good he would cover all of that stuff before putting the IUD in. My GYN went over all of the possible side effects/complications with me and even told me I had a higher chance of it coming out on its own since I had never given birth. Gave me the information to take home and read and make the decision on my own. I had it about a year and a half and never had a problem so I feel safe using it again.
March 10th, 2013, 04:48 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Im going to use an iud and then in about a year DH will get a vasectomy. We want more kids but not anymore biological ones. Were planning on buying a big house and doing foster care/adoption.
March 10th, 2013, 07:42 AM
ashj_1218's Avatar Hiya!
We don't know if we are done or not. At most, there will be one more.

We will use LAM while I am breastfeeding. And then NFP for a little while during our "deciding" process. If we are done, DH will have a vasectomy. If we want another, it will prolly be closer to a 2.5-3 year gap from this one. Three back-to-back is proving tiring on my body.

But, given that we wouldn't mind another and are unsure, I feel okay with using BFing and cycle-monitoring for birth control. An oopsie wouldn't be the worst thing in the world. It at least would make the decision easy!
March 10th, 2013, 08:11 AM
markswife's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm pretty sure that this is our last baby. I'm old, DH is older and I'm not sure I want to be outnumbered by our children. I'm going to breastfeed which worked perfectly last time. I think we have my cycle figured out so NFP should be all the birth control we need. If I do end up pregnant, it's not a big deal even though it will be unexpected. It took us two years of actively trying to get pregnant with DD so I'm not overly concerned about an accident.
March 10th, 2013, 09:17 AM
Memi's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Aftet I had DS my birth control pills made me really naseaus so I started usibg the NFP. I think ill keep using the NFP afterthis baby is born. Im unsure on how many kids we want to im not ready to think about anything permanent yet.

March 10th, 2013, 10:18 AM
Mega Super Mommy
We practiced FAM for 4 years before this one was (accidentally) conceived and I am glad that the pregnancy was MY fault and not the method's fault because then I would be afraid to go back to it! So we will keep doing that and I think DH is also starting to get more serious about having a vasectomy.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search