Coming Home Outfit

Forum: May 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree12Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To May 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 10th, 2013, 09:14 AM
Themrs0523's Avatar Super Mommy
I am fighting the urge to dress my little one up when we come home from the hospital.

The car ride will be stressful enough for her so I want her to be comfortable. I know the umbilical cord will be sensitive and it will probably be warm at the end of May.

Any suggestions??

I am thinking of bringing a NB and a 0-3 mon zip up sleeper...
March 10th, 2013, 09:59 AM
EverydayJoy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I think you could probably find something cute that is comfortable, too. What about a soft dress? You could bring little leggings to go under, so that her legs would be warm, and the dress, if it is loose enough, would be an easy way to keep her umbilical area comfortable. Then just bring say a little sweater to put over top in case it's cool, and a light blankie for the car ride home. Does it get very hot in your area during May?

Little Bud: Blooming in Heaven 1.24.12
March 10th, 2013, 10:12 AM
Mega Super Mommy
The comfiest clothes for a baby in my book are a onesie and a sleeper on top. That's what I'll be doing, unless it's insanely hot. Then I might not need two layers.
March 10th, 2013, 10:33 AM
Brock's minion
I'm doing a onsie and a sleeper with a hat and little booties. It so cute I can barely take it.

Michelle
March 10th, 2013, 11:06 AM
Thank you BTDT moms! I have never even heard of using a onesie under a sleeper.

I live in Missouri so we are in tornado alley at the end of May. It will either be spring cool or extremely hot with tons of humidity!
March 10th, 2013, 11:26 AM
Liztastic's Avatar Super Mommy
we are in Iowa and I usually put a onesie under everything. that way if need be I can strip them down to just the onesie.
EverydayJoy likes this.

Mom to:
Madalynn Faith ~ 2001
Alala Love ~ 2004
Elle Rain ~ 2008
Tilly Moon ~ 2013
March 10th, 2013, 12:26 PM
Memi's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Im doing a gown. I love gowns on newborns. Theyre so easy!!
EverydayJoy likes this.

March 10th, 2013, 12:45 PM
How do you handle the gown with the car seat straps? Do you just bunch it up close to their diaper and then put a blanket over them?
EverydayJoy likes this.
March 10th, 2013, 01:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Themrs0523 View Post
How do you handle the gown with the car seat straps? Do you just bunch it up close to their diaper and then put a blanket over them?
That's what I would do...just bunch up the bottom as needed to be able to clip the car seat straps. Then yes, blankie on top!

For ease of changing diapers, I love the gowns that have elastic at the bottom, usually they are extra-long to cover the legs and feet easily and allow room for growing. I had a couple of those in boy prints for DS and they were great...just pull the bottom of the gown up, change, then pull down. No zipper or snaps to fuss with. Great for the middle of the night changings.

Here's a google image to see what they look like:
markswife likes this.

March 10th, 2013, 01:29 PM
Perfect! That's what I thought they were, I have several of those that are 0-3 months and I think they will be amazing!!!
EverydayJoy likes this.
March 10th, 2013, 02:11 PM
misty3281's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I bought a little cotton sundress to bring her home in. It came with a lightweight cardigan. May in Louisiana is miserably hot so I doubt she needs more than that, but I'm bringing a couple of other things just in case.
March 10th, 2013, 02:32 PM
ashj_1218's Avatar Hiya!
^^That is what my little girl is coming home in. Hers is a cotton sundress (made of the same material as a light sleeper from Carter's) that has long sleeves and a matching hat. I plan to put newborn baby legs underneath, so nothing will constrict her umbilical cord. I'll put a light blanket on top. Here it will prolly be around 80 degrees, with humidity, so I'll probably keep the blanket on only if she seems like a cool-running baby.

After two boys...you darn well better believe I was buying a dress for her to come home in My older boy wore fleece pants and a onsie home (with socks and a hat) and my second wore a footie sleeper with a matching hat.

I am taking a light sleeper and a couple cotton onsie/pants outfits to the hospital for her. Our hospital only "provides" lap-tees and swaddle blankets for the babies and I have dressed all of mine while we were there for visitors and such. I strip them down for skin-to-skin for nighttime anyway.

Oh...and gowns are great for non-wiggly babies. Kierans would end up around his armpits after only an hour in one. It was weird, cause I liked them a lot with Liam. I generally used them at night though, since it made diaper changes easier.
EverydayJoy and jcperez like this.
March 10th, 2013, 02:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashj_1218 View Post
...I strip them down for skin-to-skin for nighttime anyway.
Question for you...did you sleep with your babies in your hospital bed? I did with my DS but from what I understand it's usually a no-no in hospitals. I guess they don't want to be responsible in any way if you roll over and smother your infant.

March 10th, 2013, 03:54 PM
jcperez's Avatar 1 Busy Momma
Im thinking Im gonna do a cute Carter's blue cotten outfit. Comes with blue and white pants and matching long sleeve shirt, hat and socks. Unless I find something cuter.

Mommy to Lorenzo, Marino and Remy
March 10th, 2013, 05:21 PM
Memi's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by EverydayJoy View Post

That's what I would do...just bunch up the bottom as needed to be able to clip the car seat straps. Then yes, blankie on top!
Yes. I brought DS home in a gown as well. They arent the best for carseats but I still love them. I just pulled it up high enough to strap him in and then put a light blanket over his legs.

March 10th, 2013, 05:51 PM
Hey Memi is that the same kind of gown you were thinking of, with the elastic? Loved those.

March 10th, 2013, 07:17 PM
markswife's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'll probably pick up a new outfit since this baby will get all her older sister's hand me downs otherwise. I had a NB outfit for DD and it was more like capris instead of pants and a 3/4 length sleeve instead of reaching her wrists. It's too bad because it was a really cute outfit.

And I loved those gowns too!!! Anything that provides easy access during the night is awesome. I can't tell you how many times I just wanted to rip a button up onesie to shreds at 3AM because I missed a snap at the bottom. Zippers are your friend!1
EverydayJoy likes this.
March 10th, 2013, 10:25 PM
usnwifey9's Avatar Veteran
We put DS in a gown with a little cap and socks when we brought him home . I was thinking of doing the same for this baby, but I don't really want to hike up her gown to buckle her in her carseat like I had to do with DS . Granted it's only a five minute drive home if that lol, I still like the idea of her being fully dressed exactly the way I'd want her "presented" ;P. I think it's the OCD in me, haha. Right now I'm debating putting her in a cute footed sleeper with a cap, but goodness knows what she'll really come home in when the time comes .
EverydayJoy likes this.

March 11th, 2013, 06:42 AM
ashj_1218's Avatar Hiya!
Quote:
Originally Posted by EverydayJoy View Post
Question for you...did you sleep with your babies in your hospital bed? I did with my DS but from what I understand it's usually a no-no in hospitals. I guess they don't want to be responsible in any way if you roll over and smother your infant.
Sure did...with both of them. And no one ever said a word to me. I guess it does pose a bit of liability, if you think in those terms. But given they were checking on me constantly and were controlling any medication I had anyway...I guess no one thought I was going to smother them. To be honest, I don't think I put Kieran down the entire time we were in the hospital. I remember yelling at the nurse who did the PKU test because she took more than five minutes. Lol. I was a bit nuts with him. But even funnier, the nurse who I yelled out is now one of my good friends. She said she loved me even then, she saw a lot of mothers who totally didn't care what was happening with their babies and liked that I was so possessive. Also, she was my nighttime nurse and cosleeps herself, so that might have been why I didn't get scolded for sleeping with Kieran. I don't plan to put Josephine down either. I worked hard to get them here...I don't share well at first
EverydayJoy likes this.
March 11th, 2013, 11:14 AM
That's cool. With Ethan, I slept with him in the crook of my arm all night long. I think I had the hospital bed with the open rails, so I stuck a pillow between my arm and the rails, so he wouldn't fall out, but I don't think I would have dropped him even if I hadn't done that. It was much easier that way, he would just squeak and I would nurse him and we'd go back to sleep.
ashj_1218 likes this.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search