BTDT Mamas: Heartburn and hair

Forum: May 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By miss britt
  • 1 Post By selenamdz
  • 1 Post By markswife
  • 1 Post By Counting our Blessings
  • 1 Post By misty3281

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To May 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 11th, 2013, 10:48 AM
MrsLisaT's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
From your past pregnancies, have you found there to be any truth to the old wives tale that if you have heartburn your baby will more than likely have a full head of hair? I saw that there was a study done that showed that it was correct over 80% of the time. And, if there is truth to it, I think my baby is going to have some amazing hair!!
March 11th, 2013, 11:03 AM
EverydayJoy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Hmm, I did have heartburn with DS, and he had a full head of hair. I feel like I have more heartburn this time around than I did last time, so I can only imagine what's cooking up in there. LOL. Must be some awesome thick hair!

Little Bud: Blooming in Heaven 1.24.12
March 11th, 2013, 11:03 AM
May 2013 Cohost
No! My first had plenty of hair and I never had heartburn. I am not experiencing any heartburn this time around either, thank goodness!
March 11th, 2013, 11:08 AM
Veteran
I had loads of heartburn with DS and he had all kinds of beautiful strawberry blonde hair. It hasn't been as bad this time but I'm hoping baby girl will still have lots of hair!
EverydayJoy likes this.

March 11th, 2013, 11:29 AM
pressedfairie's Avatar Super Mommy
Yes, this is actually based on facts about hormones. High levels of estrogen can relax the sphincter opening of the esophagus, causing more heartburn. The same hormone is responsible for growing baby's hair. So if you have a lot of heartburn, you are more likely to have a baby with hair.

I had a ton of heartburn with DS, and he was born with a full head of hair. I've had about the same amount of heartburn with this baby, so I guess we'll see.

Here's an article that talks about the correlation:

The Claim: Mother’s Heartburn Means a Hairy Newborn

Thank you peimum for my awesome siggy!
March 11th, 2013, 11:42 AM
Veteran
I have never experienced heartburn and all 5 of my children were born with ton of hair.
March 11th, 2013, 11:57 AM
Elly M.'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I have heard that there is some truth to this also. I had no heartburn at all with my son and he was as bald as could be, lol. This time I have had a tiny bit of heartburn, so we shall see

5/25/03 with us for 6 months
8/11/12 with us for 5 weeks

March 11th, 2013, 12:15 PM
selenamdz's Avatar Veteran
For me, I would say yes....
haha
With my first I didn't have it too much, and he was born with a good amount of hair, so I automatically thought the old wives tail was wrong.( he had more than average)
than I was pregnant with my second, never really had heartburn often, he was born with a good amount of hair, not a lot though.(less than first)
Than with my 3 son I had heartburn like CRAZY I mean bad, so bad I was puking... he was born with a freakish amount of hair, he was like a little monkey boy, LOL people would stop me to look at him and his hair.
so I think for me, its more of, my heartburn was worse when baby was hairy all over, not just head.
Does that make sense???? haha
EverydayJoy likes this.

March 11th, 2013, 12:46 PM
ashj_1218's Avatar Hiya!
It would be cool if it were true! I had no heartburn with either boy and both were pretty bald at birth (the typical peach fuzz of a baby, but nothing impressive. Both lost if quickly). I have had some heartburn this time around...so who knows? Lol. I would love a kid with some hair at birth!
March 11th, 2013, 12:50 PM
EverydayJoy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
My nephew came out looking like a little monkey too! He even had little tufts of hair growing out of the backside of his ears! That fell off within a few months but it sure looked weird! LOL

Little Bud: Blooming in Heaven 1.24.12
March 11th, 2013, 12:53 PM
markswife's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I ate Tums like I had bought stock in the company with DD and she had a full head of long hair. I'm doing the same this time.

With both DD and this baby, the tech pointed out all the baby's hair during our 3D ultrasound. This baby's wasn't quite as long as DD's was but I think we did the scan a couple of weeks earlier this time.

So for me, it has been absolutely true.
EverydayJoy likes this.
March 11th, 2013, 01:09 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Weird. I've had some heartburn with every pregnancy and all my babies had hair. This time I've had very little. Guess I'll see what happens.
March 11th, 2013, 02:03 PM
mrsjl's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I didn't have any heartburn with my babies, and both were born with a fair amount of hair. my friend had horrible heartburn all along and said "this baby better have long, luscious locks that I can braid as soon as it comes out" and the baby is pretty much bald.

March 11th, 2013, 02:32 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I had bad heartburn with number 3....and he was bald. Very bald.

Number 8 I had no heartburn and she came out with tons of hair.

No help!
EverydayJoy likes this.

March 11th, 2013, 02:47 PM
usnwifey9's Avatar Veteran
It seemed to be true when I was pg with DS as I went through three different dosages for Zantac throughout the duration of my pregnancy to try and keep the heartburn under control, and he was born with a decent amount of hair lol. Sadly, most of it started to fall out in a ring pattern around his head when he was about 3-4mos old . Now that he's almost 7yrs old, though, his hair is growing quick and thick just like his daddy's ;P.

I didn't really start to have that much heartburn with this baby until maybe the end of 2nd tri/beginning of 3rd tri, so I don't know what to expect in terms of hair at birth. All I know is I'm taking two Zantac a day to help with the heartburn, and sometimes that's still not enough!

March 11th, 2013, 08:47 PM
Ryan and Alex's Mommy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I had wicked heartburn with all 3, 2 boys had a tad of hair...and who knows what the girl will have. I find it to be false. If i'm gonna have that bad of heartburn they better have hair i can tie up lol!

March 12th, 2013, 04:15 AM
misty3281's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
My mom tells me she had horrific heartburn with me and I was bald until I was 2. Have the pictures to prove it! lol All I know is I'm now on a prescription heartburn pill once a day because I was maxing out on the Zantac and Tums without relief on a daily basis. This little girl better come out with hair long enough to braid.
EverydayJoy likes this.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search