Scary Moment Today

Forum: May 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree9Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To May 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 14th, 2013, 06:50 PM
EverydayJoy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Aw I'm sorry you've been hurting. Take it as easy as you can. And be sure to pamper yourself at your shower if need be---ask for help, if you need to just stay sitting and you want someone to get you a drink. You can explain about the pains and I'm sure you'd have plenty of people happy to help you. Don't try to be the "perfectly poised" pregnant woman---feel free to flop and relax!

Little Bud: Blooming in Heaven 1.24.12
March 14th, 2013, 07:21 PM
Sweet_Mama's Avatar Super Mommy
This happen tome at28 weeks with ds number 2. Mine was mostly from stress so they just said to take it easy and rest and don't stress!

Kelsey Wife to Chris with 3 little gremlins and one on the way!!!
Jacob 08/09
Jesse 01/11
Johnny 04/13
Jaxon 07/14

"In MY world of PINK I am surrounded by BLUE!"

March 14th, 2013, 08:07 PM
Themrs0523's Avatar Super Mommy
That's what my husband has been telling me. I need to give him more credit. He keeps telling me the more I stress the more pain I will be in.

Tomorrow is officially declared lazy day!
March 15th, 2013, 07:53 AM
Well I called my midwife and left a message for the nurse. This morning the back pain was back as soon as I woke up. I just walked to the back door to let the dog out and then waited for him to come in and it is really hurting.

We will see what they say.
March 15th, 2013, 11:53 AM
Update:

My midwife decided she should probably take a look at me today to see if we can figure out what the problem is.

Turns out I have blood in my urine but no kidney infection yet. She sent me for a renal ultrasound immediately following my appt and told me if I start having flu like symptoms of severe pain, to go to the ER.

The ultrasound tech couldn't tell me anything, obviously, but did say when he was looking at my bladder that Peyton was in the way because she is head down.
March 15th, 2013, 12:33 PM
Brock's minion
Glad you updated us. Better safe then sorry for everything, hope something was caught super early. Get lots of zzzz's and listen to your hubs.

Michelle
March 15th, 2013, 03:19 PM
I'm sorry to hear about the blood in your urine. That to me sounds like you might have a UTI. Sometimes having a UTI can cause contractions, because the bladder is irritated and can irritate the uterus. I had a kidney infection when I was pregnant with DS, it wasn't fun. I hope they caught it early enough for you that you can avoid a lengthy hospital stay!
Did they put you on antibiotics asap? Or are they trying to figure out for sure whether it's an infection or not? Back pain can be kidney pain too. Usually that's how it feels to most people, in the mid to lower back on either side, or both sides. When I had a kidney infection I felt that pain, and then I also ended up throwing up after we got to the ER. For some reason the throwing up seems to be common with a kidney infection, I bet that's why she said to watch for flu-like symptoms.

March 15th, 2013, 03:37 PM
Ya she said to start cranberry tablets and keep my water intake high but since it doesn't burn or cause pain when I pee she was a little confused. She said as of right now it appears that I do not have an infection but with blood in my urine I am very susceptible to it.
March 15th, 2013, 04:23 PM
That's weird. Did she do a culture of your urine? There should not be any blood in your urine and I'd be pretty worried if that was going on. Did they check your kidneys for anything that would be making you bleed? I would say if she isn't aggressive with this then I would go get checked out at the ER. Your midwife should either have an explanation for why there is blood in your urine, or she should be taking measures to cover the bases. I'm just concerned for you! I've had a lot of kidney/bladder crap go on over the years, and I know when you're pregnant they are normally pretty concerned about it because it can cause preterm labor if you have an infection. Does the back pain feel like a deep ache? Does it come and go or kind of constant? I would still worry about a kidney infection even if your urine looked ok. I hope she's sending it for culture.

March 15th, 2013, 04:31 PM
PS how it worked with me when I had a kidney infection, is that I had had a UTI several weeks before, and taken antibiotics, then felt better and thought it went away. Turns out the bacteria was resistant to that particular antibiotic, and the infection went into my kidneys. I didn't have burning or pain when I peed either, just this mysterious pain ---for me when my kidneys hurt, they hurt in the front, not in my back, but I think that's something to do with having double kidneys on both sides. For most people they have pain in their back with kidneys. Anyway just this pain that wouldn't let up, and my midwife was mystified. When it didn't go away with heat and Tylenol, she had me go to the ER. They said there I had a kidney infection, and I ended up spending 3 days there. I was only 2 weeks till my due date, so if he had come early he would have been ok, but they still took it very seriously and had me on IV antibiotics and fluids.

I had a friend when I worked at a medical clinic, she played softball one day real hard, and next day her back was hurting, she thought it was just a muscle being pulled, and it turned out to be a UTI (she wasn't pregnant).

I only say all this to just try to say, be careful! And I don't know why your midwife isn't more concerned.

March 15th, 2013, 09:32 PM
As far as I know she is not doing a culture of my urine because I just peed in a cup like I normally do. It is a fairly constant dull pain until I get active and then it get sharper. She sent me for the ultrasound as soon as they could get me in (30 mins after my appt with her).
She did feel all over my belly and then do like karate chops in my back all over and nothing made me jump.
If it does intensify I am supposed to go to the ER. I just wish I could have gotten the results of my ultrasound today instead of having to wait until Monday.

And thank you so much for sharing with me your experience. I will watch it VERY CLOSELY!
EverydayJoy likes this.
March 15th, 2013, 09:52 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Peeing in a cup is how they get the urine to check for bladder/UTI infections.. I'd say they're testing for infection given the presence of blood. IF you do have some kind of infection, you're super lucky it doesn't hurt when you pee, because that is a horrible, horrible feeling.

Sorry you're going through all this. I've had some pain in my low back and abdomen lately but it was ruled "normal." Awesome. Hope you find some relief... just keep taking it easy, no reason to push it
March 15th, 2013, 09:59 PM
Rhea...if they are going to send the urine out for culture, they usually have you do a "clean catch"...where you use the special little wipes prior to peeing in the cup. Far as I know though, they don't normally do that, they just look at the urine under a microscope, and they can check it for white blood cells (indicating infection). But if it does show infection, they can send it to the lab to culture it and see if it grows any particular bacteria.

TheMrs...I hope you don't mind me being a nag. Not trying to be a pain! Just wanted to make sure you're ok!

March 15th, 2013, 10:04 PM
No I appreciate it! This is why I post of this board, to hear from other mommies.

I was under the same impression as you. Since it was not a sterile cup (they are just sitting out in the bathroom) I figured if they were going to do a culture, I would have to go get a sterile cup from the lab or something.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rheaimedved View Post
Peeing in a cup is how they get the urine to check for bladder/UTI infections.. I'd say they're testing for infection given the presence of blood. IF you do have some kind of infection, you're super lucky it doesn't hurt when you pee, because that is a horrible, horrible feeling.

Sorry you're going through all this. I've had some pain in my low back and abdomen lately but it was ruled "normal." Awesome. Hope you find some relief... just keep taking it easy, no reason to push it
Rhea,

I was hoping it was just normal aches and pains.
Maybe I will hear back on Monday that all of good and I just have to tough it out. I just don't want to have her now, preemies have such a hard road and so I'm going to do everything I can to keep her put for at least 8 more weeks.
EverydayJoy likes this.
March 17th, 2013, 05:28 PM
UPDATE:

I had two showers this weekend which were WONDERFUL but I was really worried about it because of the pain I was in.

Yesterday it was pretty bad but didn't fully hit until the evening.

Last night I just couldn't get comfortable, took a bath, took Tylenol and tried to go back to bed.
Well, I went to roll over and when I did I heard this horrible crack noise come from my back and pelvis. It really hurt and then suddenly... Relief! I haven't had problems all day so I think something may have just been out of place! I am sooooo soooo thankful!
March 17th, 2013, 06:10 PM
Brock's minion
Crazy!!! Keep resting!!

Michelle
March 18th, 2013, 08:20 PM
Wow! I hope that's all it was! Glad you're feeling better

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search