Need a little name advise...please.

Forum: May 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree16Likes
  • 2 Post By misty3281
  • 1 Post By mrsjl
  • 1 Post By ashj_1218
  • 1 Post By Mrsbowbin
  • 1 Post By EverydayJoy
  • 1 Post By pressedfairie
  • 1 Post By Ryan and Alex's Mommy
  • 2 Post By jcperez
  • 1 Post By rheaimedved
  • 1 Post By markswife
  • 1 Post By Skimboardin Mama
  • 1 Post By TeeCee
  • 1 Post By jcperez
  • 1 Post By ashj_1218

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To May 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 15th, 2013, 06:17 AM
jcperez's Avatar 1 Busy Momma
So, I think my husband and I are going to stick with the name Mason. Its really the only name we can both agree on. Heres the issue....The middle name of my boys are tradionally named after my hubs middle name Antonio. I REALLy would like to honor my dad in the way of giving my last son his name or middle name or even part of one of his names. See, he passed away what is going to be 1 year ago in May. I am also being induced the day my parents were married (may 1). Its very sentimental to me. He had brain cancer and it was very sudden and unexpected. We only had one week to say goodbye to him before he passed. I just got my husband to even fathom the thought of naming our son after him although I do admit, my dad had a harsh, old fashioned name. At this point I dont care, I just feel such a great need to honor my dad. Wanted some advise on how I can work with his name and incorporate it into a middle name. My dad's name was Harold Alfred....I know, I told you it was a little harsh. What do you ladies think of the name Mason Alfred. Im not crazy about it but thats all Ive got.

Mommy to Lorenzo, Marino and Remy
March 15th, 2013, 07:05 AM
misty3281's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I think it's a wonderful way to honor your dad. I think Mason Alfred is a good name with sentiment. Honestly Mason Harold or Harold Mason (just call him by the middle name) are nice as well. Even if he doesn't like the names himself hopefully hubs will come around to understanding the significance of you wanting to do this.
Skimboardin Mama and jcperez like this.
March 15th, 2013, 07:24 AM
mrsjl's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I think honoring your dad is a great idea.
jcperez likes this.

March 15th, 2013, 07:46 AM
ashj_1218's Avatar Hiya!
I don't think Mason Alfred sounds harsh. I actually kinda like the "good old fashioned names." And I think that naming your child after a beloved family member who has passed on is far more important than a name that "sounds good." We are very family oriented and I name my children after family members. I think the connections are pretty awesome. I also don't think Mason Harold sounds bad. But I don't know the flow with your last name.
jcperez likes this.
March 15th, 2013, 08:08 AM
Brock's minion
I'm going to agree that Mason Alfred sounds good to me. What a wonderful story you'll have to share with your son. I'm sure he'll carry your fathers name proudly.
jcperez likes this.

Michelle
March 15th, 2013, 09:39 AM
EverydayJoy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I think that's really great that you are doing this in memory of your dad. I think Mason Alfred would be fine. Harold Mason sounded nice to me too. Plus, it's not his first name, so it's not as critical as far as how he introduces himself to everyone. I think it would be nice to remember your father like that.
jcperez likes this.

Little Bud: Blooming in Heaven 1.24.12
March 15th, 2013, 09:55 AM
pressedfairie's Avatar Super Mommy
I prefer Mason Harold, but Mason Alfred sounds fine to me too. We tend to use family names as middle names on both my side and DH's side of the family.

My dad's name is Harold and my uncle's name is Alfred. We used Harold for my son's middle name, and my brother used Alfred for his son's middle name. What's funny is that Harold is also DH's dad's middle name, DH's great-grandfather's name, and my brother's first name. So it was a win-win all the way around.
jcperez likes this.

Thank you peimum for my awesome siggy!
March 15th, 2013, 10:44 AM
Ryan and Alex's Mommy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I think it's great to honor your dad...we did that with my first son...his middle name is after my hubbys brother who passed away. I personally prefer Mason Harold better...but what ever you choose will be lovely.
jcperez likes this.

March 15th, 2013, 10:53 AM
Thanks for all your advise! Im going to try for Mason Harold. I think after I have him my husband will bend and let me do it. I hope.
TeeCee and Mrsbowbin like this.

March 15th, 2013, 11:14 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I'm curious how resistant your husband has been to this? Based on hearing about my own parents' experience (they divorced when I was 2), there's a lot of miscommunication and misunderstanding regarding name choices... my mom maintains that my dad was adamant that a boy would be named Judson, but my dad's version is more that he wanted a "family name" and that was just an option her threw out (I don't know of anyone in our family named Judson...); in reality my dad is a huge pushover (I mean that in a nice way... ) and I don't think anyone has ever seen him adamant about anything in his life.

Anyway, I think it's a sweet idea and it sounds like there are a lot of good options... I would personally stick with whatever name your dad actually went by.
jcperez likes this.
March 15th, 2013, 11:22 AM
markswife's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I love family names for middle names. My middle names are my grandmothers' names and we did the same thing for DD1. For this baby, I'm leaning towards my favorite aunt and DH's grandmother's middle name. I would use whatever name your father went by. When your son is older, he will appreciate that connection to his grandfather. My MIL also passed away before DD was born so giving her my MIL's name as a middle name was a connection for her.
jcperez likes this.
March 15th, 2013, 04:53 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Skimboardin Mama Send a message via MSN to Skimboardin Mama Send a message via Yahoo to Skimboardin Mama
I think either of your dad's names sounds fine and even better because the meaning behind it is so special to you
jcperez likes this.

March 15th, 2013, 11:20 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I say honor your dad
Daddy's are special

I can't name my own baby but I talked with my family and I loved my grandpa like my own father but he passed. And my baby would be his first great grandchild so to honor him if I have a girl I will place "Alberta" as her middle name or "Albert" if it's a boy. I think that's a great way to express love.
jcperez likes this.
March 16th, 2013, 02:26 PM
Veteran
What about going for Harry ?
March 16th, 2013, 05:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by naplesmomma View Post
What about going for Harry ?
Alot of people called my dad Harry but I really cant see naming my son Harry. I would rather go with Harold instead.
naplesmomma likes this.

March 17th, 2013, 07:56 PM
ashj_1218's Avatar Hiya!
I wanted to add that I am named after my maternal grandmother, who died about 4 years before I was born. It's not my favorite name of all time (JoAnn), but I still was always proud to tell people my middle name because it made me feel connected to her in a way that I wouldn't have otherwise. And I decided to carry that on in a slightly different way for my daughter.

I hope your husband can see how important it is to you. Maybe mention it in the throes of labor? Lol.
jcperez likes this.
March 18th, 2013, 06:14 AM
LOL....that is my plan!

March 18th, 2013, 10:36 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Our first son is named after both Grandpas. He has one's first name and the other one's middle name. Honestly, it's not my first choice for a name, but it means a lot to me and our families, so it's what we did. They didn't know we were doing it and cried when they found out. My dad is also passed away and never got to meet any of our 9, almost 10 kids . So I understand it's significant. The more you say it over in your head, the more used to it you will get.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search