rash/PUPPP?/freakshow on stomach

Forum: May 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree5Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To May 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 16th, 2013, 10:36 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Yesterday morning my stomach started to itch pretty bad, I was able to quickly put a stop to the scratching but a nice looking rash has developed on a large part of my stomach anyway. Very attractive. I iced my stomach for awhile last night and it was really effective, but I feel bad about icing the baby, so I'm trying to keep that to a minimum. I woke up around 430 am due to severe itchiness; found some cortisone cream, iced a teeny bit more, and fell back into restless sleep until morning. Nothing seems to be helping considerably... I've used cortisone cream and a hemmorhoidal ointment that has a bunch of different mineral oils in it. I have a doctor's appointment on Monday morning so I'm definitely going to bring it up then (and ask them to run a liver enzyme test just in case).

Does anyone else have any experience with this? Advice?
March 16th, 2013, 01:26 PM
MrsNHigh's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm gettibg eczema on my belly and back. Its pretty bad. I just keep it moisturized. I've had eczema all my life, so I can tolerat it pretty well.

Nichole
March 16th, 2013, 04:22 PM
Brock's minion
I have had horrible itching on my tummy and have hive like marks. I've suddenly developed huge stretch marks so I attribute them to one another.

Michelle
March 16th, 2013, 07:22 PM
Super Mommy
Hmm.. a few weeks ago my belly was getting too itchy, but it wasn't as bad as you're describing yours. My midwife said it's usually two reasons "belly expanding and/or weather related like dryness" but I don't know about a rash.

Btw, were you okayed to use cortisone cream? I was advised not to use it when I was breastfeeding DD. Sorry I don't mean to scare you.
rheaimedved likes this.
March 16th, 2013, 07:33 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Yeah there's a pretty gross looking rash on the front of my abdomen... way beyond simple itchiness. It's really disgusting. It ranges between being a nuisance and making me want to get this baby out of me RIGHT THIS MINUTE. WebMD says hydrocortisone ointment is fine during pregnancy, so that was enough for me, although it didn't seem to be terribly effective, so I've switched paths and am trying out this stuff called "Grandpa's Pine Tar Soap" which half the internet says works miracles for PUPPP. I sure hope so =///
March 16th, 2013, 08:49 PM
Purple_cat's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I am lurking from the April DDC and I wanted to let you know that I had PUPPS in my first pregnancy and it was miserable. I tried the Pine Tar soap and I also got some relief from mixing backing soda with water and smearing that all over my stomach. Of course, when I washed it off the itching came back.

I read everything I could on the internet and finally read about dandelion root. My midwife said that it was safe to try and I was desperate so I took it (I think 3 times a day maybe?) I started with a lower dose and slowly increased it. The rash started clearing and the itching eventually went away. It might be worth asking your doctor if it is safe for you to try.

Otherwise it usually goes away after you have your baby so that is the good news. I was on the edge of begging for an induction every day because I was so miserable. I hope that you can get some relief!!!
March 16th, 2013, 09:16 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Thanks for your input, Purple Cat. It's pretty much something that you can't relate to unless you have first hand experience with it. I have a baking soda paste smeared on my stomach right now. I bought some dandelion root tea today and am going to try drinking that a couple of times a day. I'm just sort of throwing everything I can find at this problem in hopes that something (or a combination of somethings) help. I'm not sure I knew this kind of physical discomfort existed.
March 17th, 2013, 08:32 AM
It was horrible. I am so sorry if that is what you have. Another thing that helped was staying away from hot showers/ baths. Even though it is what I wanted at the time, that seemed to make it worse overall. I would lay in a cool bathtub with that baking soda stuff on my stomach for hours at a time.

I also stopped wearing a shirt at home because anything touching it drove me insane. I ended up walking around in front of my FIL 9 months pregnant with just a sports bra on top and I was so miserable that I didn't even care.

I think I also used calendula lotion which helped for a few minutes at a time.

If the tea doesn't work consider the capsules since they may be stronger. Check with your doctor too. The dandelion cleared mine up pretty much completely in about 5 days. I really hope that you start to get some relief!!
rheaimedved likes this.
March 17th, 2013, 08:39 AM
May 2013 Cohost
I have no experience with this but wanted to say I'm sorry you are dealing with this. It must be so awful and frustrating. The good news is you're in the home stretch...hang in there mama.
rheaimedved likes this.
March 17th, 2013, 08:35 PM
Brock's minion
Rhea I'm pretty sure you jinxed me! My hives rash on my tummy has gone full blown across my abdominal area. It's like a cluster of blisters and itches until it burns. I tried the paste, didn't work not I'm trying a light layer of Vaseline to see if that helps. This is insane, I feel like I'm getting everything!! I'm a little worried because I'm on a zpack for a respitory infection and that also seems to cause a rash in people (never had a rash with it before). I go to the doc on Wednesday so hoping I can make it until then without ripping off my skin.

Michelle
March 17th, 2013, 08:53 PM
Mega Super Mommy
So sorry, MrsB =// I've been using "grandpa's pine tar soap" 3 times a day (with a washcloth, which helps satisfy the itching). I bet a place like Whole Foods would have it, or you could call around different health food type places. I lather up, let it sit for about 5 minutes, then blast myself with cold water for another couple of minutes. I moisturize with olive oil (terrified of anything I might possibly have a reaction to) right after I shower and use ice packs the instant I get an urge to scratch (I don't usually need to hold it very long for the craving to subside). The first time or two I tried the baking soda paste I didn't think it helped very much, but the next few times I noticed a big big difference... especially when trying to sleep.

This rash came on super fast for me-- Friday morning I was just kind of itchy, and by the late afternoon I had a very distinct looking rash all over my stomach, even though I had significantly curtailed the itching earlier in the day, and then by Saturday a bit on my arms, too. For your sake, I hope it's a reaction to the antibiotics and clears up real quick.

I do have to say that SOMETHING seems to be working for me, or maybe I've just gotten used to it. I'm hoping to sleep through the night tonight, although it sounds a little optimistic as I sit here and type it.
March 17th, 2013, 09:42 PM
Brock's minion
Thanks for the advice, ill hit our local health store tomorrow and look for it. I'm using ice in and off...this is crazy.
rheaimedved likes this.

Michelle
March 17th, 2013, 10:01 PM
Mega Super Mommy
some other things i thought about:

don't leave the house without an ice pack. I think it's psychological, but the feeling that you're away from any kind of relief can lead to some mini panic and really intense itch-attacks.

don't start scratching any new areas. i'm pretty sure all the deferred itching i was doing at first is what caused the rash to start on my arms (though not nearly as bad as on my stomach. grosssss.)

Last edited by rheaimedved; March 17th, 2013 at 10:07 PM.
March 18th, 2013, 10:10 AM
May 2013 Cohost
Rhea - how was your dr appointment? Did the OB have any thoughts on the rash?
March 18th, 2013, 12:11 PM
Mega Super Mommy
She didn't think it looked like a normal pregnancy rash, more like an allergy or poison ivy. I DID start using some palmer's cocoa butter formula and roughly 2 days later the rash started, which is pretty standard timing for an allergic reaction. My doctor is doing some blood tests and I'm going to continue what I've been doing, since the itchiness is a bit alleviated (even though my forearms and stomach look awful) and I was able to sleep through most of the night last night.
March 18th, 2013, 02:31 PM
I am glad that you are getting some relief. The fact that it has spread to your arms makes me think it might not be PUPPs. Either way it sounds miserable and I hope that it starts to clear up!
March 18th, 2013, 02:34 PM
markswife's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I hope this clears up quickly. It sounds positively miserable!
March 19th, 2013, 01:35 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Good news: it's definitely on its way out. I slept all through the night last night. I think definitely a reaction to the Palmer's cocoa butter formula-- apparently a lot of pregnant women have an allergic reaction to it. I'm sticking with olive oil to moisturize from now on, mostly out of fear. I'm so relieved to know what it is and that it's finally going away. I have to say the Grandpa's pine tar soap (followed by rinsing in freezing cold water) was really effective for reducing itching. It smells really odd, and strong---a kind of, medicinal smoldering, fire pit kind of smell--- but when you're facing that kind of discomfort, it doesn't even matter.
March 19th, 2013, 01:43 PM
May 2013 Cohost
Yeah! So glad it's clearing up!
March 19th, 2013, 01:43 PM
I am so glad that the rash is on the way out and that it wasn't PUPPS. And I am very glad that you were able to get some sleep too. Itching is miserable!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search