I have a shallow question for moms who have breastfed before.....

Forum: May 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree28Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To May 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 17th, 2013, 08:35 PM
Elly M.'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Please don't think I am terrible, but does breastfeeding ruin your boobs? I was not able to breastfeed with my son, but I will be this time. I know my question sounds horrible and ignorant, and I would not change my mind about breastfeeding over something so insignificant, but I just like to be prepared So just wondering if the rumor of ruined breasts and nipples from breastfeeding is true.
rheaimedved and Mrsbowbin like this.

5/25/03 with us for 6 months
8/11/12 with us for 5 weeks

March 17th, 2013, 08:40 PM
Mega Super Mommy
ahhh i was totally thinking about this tonight i'm 100% in favor of breastfeeding, so it's mostly just out of curiosity, too
Elly M. likes this.
March 17th, 2013, 09:25 PM
MrsNHigh's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I was a perky 34 b before my first pregnancy. I breastfed for a year, and when I was done, my breasts were just a tad less perky. They went back to their original cup size, but I moved up to a 36. Ruined? No. Not the same? Yes.
EverydayJoy and rheaimedved like this.

Nichole
March 17th, 2013, 09:33 PM
Veteran
I went from a 38D to a 38DDD when I was breastfeeding, after I stopped I dropped down to a DD. For the first few months after weaning my boobs felt a little saggy or less firm but they kind of snapped back and got their firmness back. But they are still bigger than prenursing. One nipple was fairly flat before I started breastfeeding and after awhile it matched the other so it improved things there! But other than that they seem unchanged. I breastfed for 13 months if that makes a difference.
rheaimedved likes this.

March 17th, 2013, 09:38 PM
Brock's minion
Laughing because I think a lot about this. I am breast feeding- I will do all I can to breast feed, everything! My husband and I have a deal we made some time ago- after I'm done having babies and breast feeding I can get my boobs done, sounds terrible but I always wanted them smaller and tighter and I'm excited to get them done.... Someday.

Michelle
March 17th, 2013, 09:45 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Skimboardin Mama Send a message via MSN to Skimboardin Mama Send a message via Yahoo to Skimboardin Mama
Mine have always been sall and after bfeeding for 2 yrs they shrank back down and felt empty.

March 17th, 2013, 09:46 PM
pressedfairie's Avatar Super Mommy
I breastfed for over 2 years, but I was pregnant when I weaned DS, so I can't say for sure if my boobs have changed because of breastfeeding. Honestly, they were never the same after my pregnancy with him - my cup size increased and never went down. Now that I'm pregnant, I have to wear even bigger bras than when I was pregnant or nursing DS.

I would not call them "ruined," but I would say that they've changed. Again, I suspect that it had more to do with being pregnant in the first place than breastfeeding...just my opinion.

Thank you peimum for my awesome siggy!
March 17th, 2013, 10:33 PM
Mega Super Mommy
My mom admits that her breasts were never very perky to begin with, so there wasn't much change in that area. Her boobs grew maybe one cup size and stayed there after the breastfeeding was over... she also went up a band size, but mostly for comfort reasons.
March 18th, 2013, 04:23 AM
selenamdz's Avatar Veteran
They say it's not nursing that ruins your boobs but gaining and losing a lot of weight (like during a pregnancy) I believe that!
rheaimedved likes this.

March 18th, 2013, 04:46 AM
misty3281's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrsbowbin View Post
Laughing because I think a lot about this. I am breast feeding- I will do all I can to breast feed, everything! My husband and I have a deal we made some time ago- after I'm done having babies and breast feeding I can get my boobs done, sounds terrible but I always wanted them smaller and tighter and I'm excited to get them done.... Someday.
We have the same deal!!! I've never had perky boobs. I was lucky enough to inherit my moms large saggy boobs. They were droopy before losing weight, but after that it got really bad. I'm embarrassed anytime I have to take my top off and I refuse to wear a bathing suit without a bra on to hold them up. DH promised after I finished breast feeding and losing the weight I wanted that I could get a breast lift and extra skin removed and a tummy tuck for the extra skin I had hanging around down there I couldn't get to tone up. A friend told me about a doctor around here that has a "mommy makeover" where he combines both during one surgery for a decent price. Definitely going to check into it when it's time.
March 18th, 2013, 05:13 AM
May 2013 Cohost
I am very small chested. I breastfed for 15 months and I don't think mine are ruined or changed for that matter. They look the same to me. I did go up a band size as well.
March 18th, 2013, 07:11 AM
Super Mommy
When I was breastfeeding/pumping, they were huge. I went from 36 C to I don't even remember, maybe 40DD or E. When I stopped, they went back to normal. My nipples however never looked the same (it's like there are small cuts) but maybe it's b/c I was exclusively pumping (DD never latched on so I pumped for a year). It was painful and my nipples were swollen and/or bleeding for a few months. But I was told it's b/c of pumping and not necessarily breastfeeding. This time around, I'll keep the baby on my breats until he latches on.
March 18th, 2013, 07:54 AM
EverydayJoy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I definitely agree with the sentiment about "Not ruined, but definitely not the same".
For me, after 8 months of breastfeeding, I feel mine are (prior to this pregnancy anyway) not as perky as they once were. They do droop just a little. I didn't notice any change though in the nipples or areola, just the overall "tone" of the boobies is less.
I don't think there's much you can do about it, other than wear supportive bras while nursing. Your breast tissue just gets stretched out by the milk in your ducts, especially how you get engorged at times after you start nursing.

Little Bud: Blooming in Heaven 1.24.12
March 18th, 2013, 07:54 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by selenamdz View Post
They say it's not nursing that ruins your boobs but gaining and losing a lot of weight (like during a pregnancy) I believe that!
I agree with this. I haven't bf any of my children and mine are completely different because of pregnancy. They are a lot bigger than pre-kids but also less firm (to put it nicely). I wouldn't call that ruined; just different.
March 18th, 2013, 08:49 AM
Veteran
Just make sure that you ALWAYS wear the best bra possible ! I spend the $$ on bras and get re-fitted every time I go (usually at Nordstrom). I love the way a good bra makes my boobs feel and they really give you that lift you need when things go a little flat once you've stopped breastfeeding. My DH loves my boobs and has never complained they are looking saggy !! Hopefully you will be the same. good luck
March 18th, 2013, 09:16 AM
Elly M.'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Thanks for all the input ladies I feel bad that I said "ruined", terrible choice of words on my part. I managed a Victorias Secret for years so at least I have knowledge when it comes to bras and know what to get, lol. I am going to be nursing at night and pumping during day. I will be working back out on the farm pretty soon after Chase is born, so I will be investing in very good sports bras and such.

5/25/03 with us for 6 months
8/11/12 with us for 5 weeks

March 18th, 2013, 12:19 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by misty3281 View Post
A friend told me about a doctor around here that has a "mommy makeover" where he combines both during one surgery for a decent price. Definitely going to check into it when it's time.
I obviously don't know anything about this doctor, but after being in Los Angeles and hearing ads on the radio for cheap-sounding "mommy makeovers," I want to implore you to find the best plastic surgeon possible in your area, even if it is double the cost. The last thing you need is to try to save money on more or less permanent operations.
Mrsbowbin likes this.
March 18th, 2013, 12:32 PM
misty3281's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Oh believe me I'm going to ask around for people that have used him before ever talking to him. I'm very picky and will definitely pay whatever I need to to get the results I want from a doctor I trust. It was just something a friend had told me about so I figure it's at least worth looking into.
rheaimedved likes this.
March 18th, 2013, 01:18 PM
ashj_1218's Avatar Hiya!
I am fairly certain it's not the nursing either. I had an eating disorder and gained/lost weight constantly from 16-24. My boobs look no different now than before I ever got preggo with my first. I believe the weight loss/gain cycle is what stretches the skin and creates more sagging and less perkiness. And since you are getting bigger in pregnancy anyway and your milk will come in regardless of your breastfeeding plans, your boobs are kinda "doomed" before nursing ever starts.

So if yours were pretty okay after your first son, they will prolly be okay this time too. Honestly, I am not self conscious about mine. But I am lucky enough to have dense tissue (sucks for cancer screenings though), so mine are still fairly firm and shaply. They could certainly be worse (but they also could be better, kWIM?) I have heard some women have a "chicken nugget in a sock" for boobs after babies. It makes me giggle at the visual. But I think it's all dependent on genetics and elasticity.
rheaimedved likes this.
March 18th, 2013, 02:21 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I wouldn't worry to much. It's such an amazing thing to give birth and nurse that I don't ever expect to look the same after...in a good way
selenamdz and rheaimedved like this.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search