Engorged breasts, anyone?

Forum: May 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree10Likes
  • 1 Post By SunnyBunnyMama
  • 1 Post By crunchywannabe
  • 1 Post By misty3281
  • 1 Post By jcperez
  • 1 Post By crunchywannabe
  • 3 Post By ashj_1218
  • 1 Post By misty3281
  • 1 Post By Purrrrrrr

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To May 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 20th, 2013, 05:38 PM
Super Mommy
Last night when I was sleeping my breasts were so engorged and sore that I was subconsciously thinking "ugh I need to go pump" (I was still thinking that I still pump for my DD). Anyways, I don't think I leaked anything. Later today I had the same feeling again, like one of my breasts was sore and hard and I had the urge to pump, did not last long and the feeling went away. I did not have this feeling with my DD. Anyone has had this? It's just weird AND uncomfortable AND it makes me worry that baby is coming sooner than my due date (I am 32 weeks).
March 20th, 2013, 06:28 PM
EverydayJoy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
No I haven't had that, but to help engorgement go down, I've heard a good trick is to bruise a cabbage leaf and stick it in your bra. It helps the engorgement go down.

Little Bud: Blooming in Heaven 1.24.12
March 20th, 2013, 06:35 PM
Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by EverydayJoy View Post
No I haven't had that, but to help engorgement go down, I've heard a good trick is to bruise a cabbage leaf and stick it in your bra. It helps the engorgement go down.
Yeah I actually did the cabbage trick when I was trying to wean my daughter, surprisingly it worked great! :-)

It's gone now, the engorgement that is. Just thought it was strange to feel it. Maybe I just need a bigger bra.
EverydayJoy likes this.
March 20th, 2013, 06:35 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I actually was leaking the other night just rocking my 18 month old . But have never had an engorged feeling.

March 20th, 2013, 07:31 PM
Mega Super Mommy
my breasts have been leaking almost constantly! lately my boobs have been more tender and my nipples sting a little bit... I have nothing to compare this to, but I sure hope that it's not a sign of baby coming early... at this point I'm still hoping for a 42 weeker!

March 20th, 2013, 07:57 PM
Elly M.'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I have not been engorged, but mine have been sore lately. Mostly at night. I think it is just our bodies getting ready as we get towards the end. I had the same worry though, about hoping it is not a sign that labor will be early.

5/25/03 with us for 6 months
8/11/12 with us for 5 weeks

March 20th, 2013, 08:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by crunchywannabe View Post
my breasts have been leaking almost constantly! lately my boobs have been more tender and my nipples sting a little bit... I have nothing to compare this to, but I sure hope that it's not a sign of baby coming early... at this point I'm still hoping for a 42 weeker!
I have never heard of anyone who hoped their baby would go past due!

March 20th, 2013, 08:49 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I'm planning on it, in hopes that if it does happen I won't be miserable, and 'surprised' like so many women act like. Also I feel that in most cases over due is much healthier than pre mature. I have had more than one scare this pregnancy that had me honestly convinced I lost, would lose, or at the least have a very premature baby that I would be grateful at this point to go over due.

In any event my boobs are uncomfortable, but knowing my body is getting ready to nourish my baby is both exciting and terrifying all at the same time!
rheaimedved likes this.

March 20th, 2013, 09:04 PM
Ah that makes sense! I know I wouldn't be happy to go over but I also know sometimes babies need to bake longer. My first, I was induced on my due date, yet he was only 6 lbs 8 oz. I bet he would have stayed in another 2 weeks if they had let him!

March 20th, 2013, 10:00 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by EverydayJoy View Post
I have never heard of anyone who hoped their baby would go past due!
oh yeah, i recently learned that's totally a thing. it's a school of thought that basically asks the question "why is 37 weeks considered at term but 42 too long?" it's also a backlash to the notion that a woman needs to be induced if she's a day over her due date (i'm being hyperbolic) when there's, apparently, very little medical literature on the consequences of a baby cooking for "too long." the "march of dimes" advocates for pregnancies lasting longer than 39 weeks. i read this blog post about it a few days ago: http://kidsarealrightto.blogspot.com...-just-for.html and it links to this article: http://www.theglobeandmail.com/life/...article597117/
March 20th, 2013, 10:06 PM
Oh yes I know a lot of docs get inducing-happy and will say, hey so you're 38 weeks, we can go ahead and induce you! Instead of just letting babies come when they're ready. Not to mention dating based on your LMP can be off, so babies could be getting forced into the world too early.
I have read too about how docs use the scare tactic that the placenta could stop functioning if you go too far past 40 weeks, but from what I've read, studies show no difference in outcomes for babies if they induce them vs. let them be. I know for me if I go overdue I'm going to be fighting hard to NOT be induced. I'm going no pain meds, and I don't need any **** Pitocin to fight with!

March 21st, 2013, 02:26 AM
misty3281's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I remember being taught in nursing school that after 42 weeks the placenta begins to deteriorate and doesn't function properly. Of course that was 11 years ago. My mom tells me I was born almost a month after my due date, and I did have several complications from it. There was a lot of fluid in my lungs and I think she said I had pneumonia. Obviously there is something to be said about going too far past due date, but I can't really say I know how far is too far.
rheaimedved likes this.
March 21st, 2013, 04:18 AM
jcperez's Avatar 1 Busy Momma
I heard that being too over due can be dangerous as well. The baby starts to run out of fluid. I was induced with my first at 39 weeks and he was almost 8 lbs. completley healthy. Being induced again at 39 weeks with this one because of health issues. I guess if the mother is healthy and the baby is monitored and checked often it would be ok to bake a little longer. In my case, it would be more harmful.
rheaimedved likes this.

Mommy to Lorenzo, Marino and Remy
March 21st, 2013, 07:43 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Yup. There is a risk of still birth, and I'm not saying I'm prepared to go to 44 weeks or anything, but I'm a lot more comfortable being monitored past 40 weeks than being induced before hand.

It's all a mental game to me. I'd much rather expect to go over 40 weeks than sit around May 21st miserable, uncomfortable, and whining about why baby isn't here yet... if He makes his appearance at 39, 38, etc weeks fantastic, I just NEVER want to be miserable or resentful trying to get baby out.
rheaimedved likes this.

March 21st, 2013, 11:46 AM
ashj_1218's Avatar Hiya!
I am all for baby coming on their own! I was one of those "completely and totally shocked" mamas when my first came so far outside the "due date." I was planning on going a week overdue, thinking exactly what crunchy is thinking, that I would rather prep for a late babe than be disappointed when he wasn't here on exactly November 11th. Well, color me surprised when baby decided Oct. 20th was a great birthday. Haha. BUT, I was prepared and ready to allow him (and my second) bake til they wanted to come out, unless a medical reason precluded it.

I think the mentality of 40 weeks-then-evicted really hurts those mamas whose bodies are MADE to bake babies longer than 40 weeks. My good friend had all four of her children past 40 weeks, her last almost at 42 weeks. And it was impossible for her to even talk to people because they all gave her that "you have five heads" look when she stated her due date was a week ago. People were constantly calling and asking after when the baby was coming (um, when he is done cooking?). So I do think such a thought process can cause negative side effects for women who aren't as confident in their bodies and feel that all the pressure they are getting from outsiders is warranted and then they agree to take baby out.

Although I am all for this whole idea...I also have never, and will never, go past my due date. So some think that exempts me from having an opinion on it. So far, my body has shown to be more of a 37-week pregnancy body. But my body also has an issue with blood clotting and that is the factor that will cause an induction this time if she isn't here by 39 weeks Placental breakdown is something they can determine either at birth or with a placental study, so it is fairly easy to tell if a baby was truly "overdue" after he/she comes. Both my placentas were in the early stages of breakdown, likely caused by my blood issues. But my mom delivered a 43-weeker (back in 1987) and his placenta and body were not at all overcooked. Its all relative.

But, back to the original question...I do ocassionally have a feeling of "heaviness" in my breasts, but it is also fleeting. I already produce a bit of "milk" here and there. So I think it's just prep for baby. Although I didn't have any production with either of my sons, who were both "early." They are gearing up for the next phase!
March 21st, 2013, 02:04 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Misty-- regarding fluid in the lungs, wouldn't it seem normal that a baby who had been living in fluid would have some in their lungs? And since we don't make it a habit to xray newborns (thank god), we can't quantitatively say how much is "normal." this was something that really irritated my dad when a doctor was pushing them to keep me in NICU; i was 2 weeks late, but the placenta was healthy, amniotic fluid was clear, and I had no other signs of being "overcooked." their experience has made me really paranoid about what might happen to my baby.

Regarding my boobs: business as usual. They still leak a little bit when I squeeze them, sometimes they're ore sensitive than others, occasionally my nipples itch. For the most part I don't even have to worry about them.
March 21st, 2013, 04:25 PM
misty3281's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'll be the first to admit I know nothing about it. I knew I didn't want to work OB or pedi so I really didn't focus on more than what I had to in school. That's just what I was told by my mom and grandma. I do know moms placenta was deteriorating so I'm sure that had a lot to do with it, and like everything else in pregnancy, each woman's experience is different. Personally I wouldn't leave my baby in NICU just because they were overdue if they weren't having problems either.
rheaimedved likes this.
March 22nd, 2013, 05:52 AM
Purrrrrrr's Avatar Semi-crunchy Mommy
My lefty has felt sore and engorged a couple of times on the inside but wasn't visibly engorged or anything on the outside. Kinda weird...

I've been leaking too (when I sneeze, lol). I guess my boobs are just warming up.
EverydayJoy likes this.

My Boring Blog

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search