Hospital Nursery vs. Keeping Baby with you

Forum: May 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree11Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To May 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 21st, 2013, 06:20 AM
MrsLisaT's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
What are your thoughts on this? BTDT moms, which did you do with your previous babies?

I really want to keep my baby with me the whole time. The idea of having the nurses wheel him/her off makes me want to cry! But, I am also trying to stay open minded about it and keep in mind that it probably is for the best sometimes depending on things like length and difficulty of labor and how long I've been without sleep. DH is very much for keeping our baby with us too so that should be a big help!
March 21st, 2013, 06:25 AM
JandJC's Avatar #2 due in April!
I have heard mixed things from my BTDT friends. Some say to let them stay in the hospital nursery so you can get some sleep and be better prepared....others say to get used to the routine right away of having to be up and feed, etc.

I think I will definitely keep my little guy with me - can't imagine otherwise...but I guess we shall see!

March 21st, 2013, 06:37 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I've always kept my babies with me. There is just something so strong about those mama hormones that kicks in right away and wants that baby there all the time.

I've had some rougher deliveries than others and keeping the baby with me was very comforting. But I've never really been recovering from drugs (try and stay away from) or a c/s, so I can't answer that.

March 21st, 2013, 06:42 AM
EverydayJoy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I think you should be able to do whatever you feel is best for your little one. If you want him or her to be with you at all times, I would make that very clear, and you can also ask your hospital's L&D nurse(s) what their policy is. A lot of places are seeing the light on having babies "room in" with mom because it's best for baby. I know I would be going crazy if they took my little guy away. You spend 9 months with them under your heart...you're probably going to want to keep them pretty close at first!
At the same time, if you do just need some sleep, that's what the nursery is for, so I don't think there's any shame in saying, "I can't do this, I need a little break so I can feel human again."
With my first, I slept with him in the crook of my arm all night that first night.
SunnyBunnyMama likes this.

Little Bud: Blooming in Heaven 1.24.12
March 21st, 2013, 06:46 AM
Veteran
Same as Joy. DD spent the first night with me, in the same bed. It was so hard for me to think that she'll be taken away from me lol. The second night I was soooo tired and sleep deprived that the nurse convinced me to take her for a little so I can sleep. I agreed but then couldn't sleep and was thinking about her the whole time, so I called the nurse and asked her to bring my baby to me.
March 21st, 2013, 06:48 AM
Aww, that's sweet. I know I slept better knowing DS was right there, than if he had been away in the nursery.

March 21st, 2013, 06:49 AM
selenamdz's Avatar Veteran
This is a hard question, depends on a lot of things!!!
I really think its a personal choice and there is no "right or wrong" in the matter. Some people can be a bit judgmental when people let there babies stay in the nursery, I disagree.
My first was in the nursery, because he was born early and they wanted to watch him. My second and third stayed with me.
But I do remember letting them watch my second so I could take a nap ( I had a 1 year old at home)
Some first time moms might be scared a bit, or uncomfortable. I have heard about new born babies chocking in the night because they still had fluid, so some might feel better with baby being watched, but others may feel they can watch their baby better.
it's tricky.
I like to keep my kids with me though

March 21st, 2013, 06:58 AM
jcperez's Avatar 1 Busy Momma
I have my babies with me. In my hospital, if momma is nursing they want the baby to stay with the mother. They do take baby off once in a while for bathing and shots and other things. When I had my last son I remember looking in the nursery all the time and there being no babies in there. I think nowadays baby stays with mom a majority of the time. With my last son, they took him off (I dont remember what the reason was) but a little while later I went passed the nursery to see where he was and he was SCREAMING, just laying there while the nurses were doing something else. It broke my heart to pieces hearing him cry like that. So, I went in there and took him back to my room. Once you become a mom, you really dont want anyone else taking care of your baby anyway unless its necessary or you physically can not do it.
Sweet_Mama likes this.

Mommy to Lorenzo, Marino and Remy
March 21st, 2013, 07:21 AM
Memi's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I kept. Ds with me the whole time and will do tge sane this time. I honestly lost more sleep at night from tge constant nurse parade inand out of my room than I did from baby.
jcperez likes this.

March 21st, 2013, 07:29 AM
Veteran
When I got really tired I let the nurse take the babies to the nursery. They ask you what they are allowed to give baby if s/he cries at our hospital. So you can say no or yes to formula, a pacifier, or say baby must come straight back to you if it wakes and cries. Mine cried, woke up all other babies and so we roomed most of the time. Like labor, you can't predict how you will feel and I was glad to utilize the nurses.
Purrrrrrr likes this.
March 21st, 2013, 07:38 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Hospital Nurseries don't even exist here anymore! All babies room in, unless they require NICU stay or require tests out of the room. at that time a parent accompanies baby at all times.

I have heard about the hospital closest to us in the states (where we are expected to deliver but for multiple reasons have opted not to) that they take the baby away for an evening and serve you supper. I really wouldn't want that. I see no benefit of me being separated from my baby, and no benefit for baby being separated from me.

March 21st, 2013, 07:56 AM
Mega Super Mommy
See how things go. If you need the nurses to take baby for awhile, that is OK. There is nothing wrong with that. And if you want to keep it with you the whole time, that's great, too. So much depends on what kind of delivery you've had and how you feel at the time. But there is no "right" or "wrong" answer.
March 21st, 2013, 08:07 AM
MrsNHigh's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
My son was taken on the night he was born because he was so pale. They monitored him, and I forced myself out of bed to look for him like a crazy. He ended up in the nicu. I had to walk back and forth between postpartum and the nicu for about a day before my doc discharged me and I could room with him. I hope to keep this one close to me at all times.

Nichole
March 21st, 2013, 08:14 AM
Sapphera's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Here it's policy for the baby to room in with mom.

The only times that doesn't happen is if the baby is to be put up for adoption, or if there is something wrong and the baby needs NICU time.. otherwise, you're bunked in
WTTC #2
March 21st, 2013, 08:23 AM
Elly M.'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I kept DS with me, and will do the same this time. I just can't handle them not being right there with me, I am too paranoid, lol. Plus we have waited so long to meet our LO's that I can't imagine not having him right there with DH and I

5/25/03 with us for 6 months
8/11/12 with us for 5 weeks

March 21st, 2013, 08:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by crunchywannabe View Post
Hospital Nurseries don't even exist here anymore! All babies room in, unless they require NICU stay or require tests out of the room. at that time a parent accompanies baby at all times.

I have heard about the hospital closest to us in the states (where we are expected to deliver but for multiple reasons have opted not to) that they take the baby away for an evening and serve you supper. I really wouldn't want that. I see no benefit of me being separated from my baby, and no benefit for baby being separated from me.

We had that dinner experience when I delivered up in Alaska with DS. Actually it was nice, they told me they would need to take him away briefly for his hearing test anyway, and while he was out of the room they served us our dinner. It was probably only a half an hour or so, and then DS was back with us, and the nurse was telling us he slept like an angel the whole time. She was a really sweet nurse and held him so tenderly and cooed at him and such, that I knew he would be well-taken care of. If I hadn't been so happy with the nursing staff, I might not have wanted to let him out of my sight. I felt like it was a positive thing at the time though, and got a nice dinner and felt halfway human again after giving birth and all that. This was the day following delivery, far as I remember it.
crunchywannabe likes this.

March 21st, 2013, 10:59 AM
May 2013 Cohost
I sent my son to the nursery so I could get some sleep. Funny thing was, it kind of backfired bc the nurse brought him to me literally every two hours for breastfeeding...I couldn't understand why. I had no idea it started on day 1 - I thought you didn't start breastfeeding till your milk came in. I didnt realize that the constant sucking on the breast would actually help my milk come in! Lol. I thought that if I sent him to the nursery, I would get a full 8 hrs sleep. Boy was I wrong!
March 21st, 2013, 11:09 AM
MrsLisaT's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I see that most people these days prefer to keep their baby with them. Times have definitely changed. I was talking with an older lady last night and you should have seen the way she was talking about parents actually keeping their baby with them at the hospital! LOL, she really wrinkled her nose about it. Nowadays, I can't even imagine not having my baby with me!
EverydayJoy likes this.
March 21st, 2013, 11:11 AM
ashj_1218's Avatar Hiya!
I think that it depends on a lot of things...birthing being a big one. Some moms might benefit greatly from a couple hours of uninterrupted rest.

But me personally...I barely let my husband or mom hold the baby after I had them I become pretty possessive. My first spent his first evening and night in the NICU. I literally was kicked out to get some sleep (hahaha, like that was happening!?) because I just wanted to sit up next to him. The nurse kept telling me to go to my room, they would get me when he was hungry. But I couldn't stand it. I didn't let him out of my sight again until they had to do the carseat test (he was a preemie, but only by a day) and I was fretful that whole time too. With Kieran, he left my room for ten minutes of his entire stay, for the PKU test. I just wanted to soak him in. He slept with me in my bed (as did Liam on his second night) because I felt weird not having them right near me. I presume I will feel the same way this time.

But I do think that the nurseries can serve very important purposes for mamas who need some recovery time (especially in the case of c-sections). It wouldn't help anyone if mom is stressed, exhausted, and barely functioning for that first day or two with baby. It would be better for her to grab a nap and feel a little more sane before being tossed into the parenting abyss where there is no nursery
EverydayJoy likes this.
March 21st, 2013, 01:29 PM
Mega Super Mommy
The hospital I'm birthing at doesn't take the baby away from the mother unless she requests it or for emergency purposes. That's part of why I chose that hospital. I can't imagine I wouldn't lose my mind over the baby being taken away from me after living inside me for ~9 months, but we'll see how I feel when the time comes, I guess.

I spent the first week of my life in NICU due to an overzealous doctor who had never met my parents and never bothered to talk to their OB (who delivered me and saw that the pregnancy/birth/baby were 100% healthy), and my mom talks about what a horrible, empty feeling it was going home without her baby.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search