contrax question for experienced moms

Forum: May 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree9Likes
  • 2 Post By EverydayJoy
  • 2 Post By naplesmomma
  • 2 Post By MrsNHigh
  • 1 Post By kurly
  • 1 Post By Memi
  • 1 Post By EverydayJoy

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To May 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 23rd, 2013, 05:52 PM
Veteran
Those of you who have had other labors, I'm wondering if these strong bh contrax I've been having since first tri will make my labor easier.

With my DS, I didn't go into labor at all on my own. No dilation, no contractions until I was hooked up to the pitocin. I had a 26 hour labor. i'm hoping this time, my uterus will know what to do, since it has been contracting since 14 weeks, kwim?

any thoughts or experiences?

March 23rd, 2013, 06:03 PM
MrsNHigh's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm wondering the same thing. My labor started on its own with my son...3 days past his due date, but it progressed slowly, so they gave me pitocin to move things along. I too have been having BH since early on in my second trimester. I get them all the time now...not on a pattern, but often enough to be an annoyance.

Nichole
March 23rd, 2013, 06:06 PM
EverydayJoy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Ditto your question...I didn't have a slow labor with DS, but it was induced with Pit too. I'm hoping for a fast labor with little Kody, and at least I have the reassurance that second labors are usually shorter, and also that short-ish labor runs in my family. We'll see!

Little Bud: Blooming in Heaven 1.24.12
March 23rd, 2013, 07:11 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I have alwaya had strong bh contrax and have had easy labors. Ds1 was induced due to pre-e and last 25 hours. I only pushed for 5 minutes. Ds2's pregnancy same with the bh contrax and labor lasted 3 hours with again only about 5 minutes of pushing. Ds3's was the same but I was induced over a week past my due date. Labor lasted about 3 and a half hours, 5 minutes of pushing. I don't know if the strong bh have had anything to do with it but my labors have been fast and pretty easy. Painful, but easy.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Forum Runner
DS-Sully(4)
DS-Gus(2)

March 23rd, 2013, 08:26 PM
markswife's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I hope so!! I don't remember have any BH with DD and labor and delivery was soooo slllooooowwww with her. I've been having lots this time so I'm seriously praying that means that things will move faster and easier this time.
March 23rd, 2013, 09:41 PM
I for one would love to have my own crystal ball to know what was going to happen concerning L&D! I am so uptight about all the unknowns that I'm driving myself crazy about it.
markswife and rheaimedved like this.

March 24th, 2013, 03:57 AM
jcperez's Avatar 1 Busy Momma
I've been having BH about everyday now for about a month and a half. I'm hoping that once I start getting checked at 36 weeks, I will be like 4 or 5 centimeters dialated . My dr. promises me this one is going to be a quick labor considering I push 10 or 15 minutes and they are out! Hoping this one is a breeze. I hope all those BH I am having now is making me dialate some.

Mommy to Lorenzo, Marino and Remy
March 24th, 2013, 10:31 AM
Veteran
pasted off a website:

Braxton Hicks contractions are actually helping you to prepare for labor. Often called "practice contractions," Braxton Hicks contractions help your uterus practice for your upcoming labor. They help to soften your cervix and exercise all the muscles that you will need to push your baby out. Without the help of Braxton Hicks contractions, labor would actually be much more difficult and painful.
jcperez and MrsNHigh like this.
March 24th, 2013, 11:03 AM
MrsNHigh's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Well, by game time, my uterus should just shoot the baby out with all the Braxton Hicks I've been having!
EverydayJoy and rheaimedved like this.

Nichole
March 24th, 2013, 11:24 AM
Super Mommy
I've been having strong BH every 5 minutes for the past week. Went to L&D twice... They keep sending me home because I'm not dilating. That would be WONDERFUL if all this meant I'm going to have an easy peasy delivery!!
EverydayJoy likes this.
March 24th, 2013, 01:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by naplesmomma View Post
Without the help of Braxton Hicks contractions, labor would actually be much more difficult and painful.
I'm living proof that this is a true statement!

I'm going to enjoy the BH from here forward. THey make me nervous but the closer I get to being full term the more I hope they are helping make this L&D better.
March 24th, 2013, 03:10 PM
Rhonda66's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by markswife View Post
I'm living proof that this is a true statement!

I'm going to enjoy the BH from here forward. THey make me nervous but the closer I get to being full term the more I hope they are helping make this L&D better.
markswife, are they not considering a c-section or early induction with you this time after your last delivery? I got pretty much reamed by DS' delivery Doctor at my last appointment - I hadn't seen her since the birth 5 years ago and she said "you need to take what I told you then very seriously..." about her saying I would need to have a c-section with any other children due to DS getting stuck. She said they're going to do an US at 37 weeks and then either induce me or schedule a c-section. I said it only seemed like DS was stuck for a minute or 2 and my regular Doctor now said she would only be really concerned if I told her that they had to use the vacuum or forceps or if DS had been injured. She said it didn't matter because the second baby's head will likely emerge faster so the shoulders will get stuck hard and that babies die that way so I felt super dumb. She said she was just lucky to get him out and that the situation easily could have gone very wrong. I really do not want a c-section at all, but she said she isn't an alarmist, doesn't say that to many women and wouldn't say that unless it was serious and now I'm freaked out again that this baby will get stuck so the c-section or early induction may be the best route in my case. Seeing as your birth was even more complicated than mine, I'm curious what their plan of action is or if they're just totally playing it by ear...
March 24th, 2013, 05:54 PM
Purrrrrrr's Avatar Semi-crunchy Mommy
I don't remember having BH contractions with DS, but I had actual ones starting at 34 weeks. I dilated to 3cm and sat like that for a month. DS was positioned funky or he probably would've come then. I've been having contractions since about 12 weeks, but no dilation or effacement so far.

My Boring Blog
March 24th, 2013, 07:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhonda66 View Post
markswife, are they not considering a c-section or early induction with you this time after your last delivery? I got pretty much reamed by DS' delivery Doctor at my last appointment - I hadn't seen her since the birth 5 years ago and she said "you need to take what I told you then very seriously..." about her saying I would need to have a c-section with any other children due to DS getting stuck. She said they're going to do an US at 37 weeks and then either induce me or schedule a c-section. I said it only seemed like DS was stuck for a minute or 2 and my regular Doctor now said she would only be really concerned if I told her that they had to use the vacuum or forceps or if DS had been injured. She said it didn't matter because the second baby's head will likely emerge faster so the shoulders will get stuck hard and that babies die that way so I felt super dumb. She said she was just lucky to get him out and that the situation easily could have gone very wrong. I really do not want a c-section at all, but she said she isn't an alarmist, doesn't say that to many women and wouldn't say that unless it was serious and now I'm freaked out again that this baby will get stuck so the c-section or early induction may be the best route in my case. Seeing as your birth was even more complicated than mine, I'm curious what their plan of action is or if they're just totally playing it by ear...
I'm not really sure what exactly happened with DD that things got so complicated. I know that part of the problem was I hadn't slept in two days and was just completely exhausted and not really able to push very effectively. DD passed her meconium and had some issues with her heart rate dropping so I think that's when she decided to vacuum. I don't really know where to go to get the records to find out what happened. I suppose the hospital might have them.

I will have an ultrasound at 38 weeks to see how big the baby is. I thought she had said 36 weeks early on which would be my next appointment. She said to wait until 38 weeks because you can't do anything elective before 39 weeks anyways.

I'm torn on what to do. Every doctor that I have seen has said that I could do an elective C-section if that is what I choose, no questions asked. I would really prefer to not have that recovery with a toddler running around. But I'm terrified of having the same complications again. We've talked about being induced and seeing how the baby and I tolerate labor. I'm open to a C-section if that is what is recommended. It's just not my preference. I'm still hoping this baby will come in the backseat on the way to the hospital! HA!!

I'm not sure what to think about your doctor's response. If anything, I feel like I'm the alarmist and the doctors have all been pretty calm about the last delivery. I've been told several times that the second baby is easier because the first one paved the way so to speak. I'm banking on that being true!!
March 24th, 2013, 08:10 PM
Memi's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I have no idea. I have been told by many that BH are much more common in subsequent pregnancies though bc your uterus already knows what to do, so I suppose it's preparing itself.
EverydayJoy likes this.

March 25th, 2013, 12:51 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhonda66 View Post

Rhonda...if I were you, just my opinion here, but I might get a second opinion. Take your records from the birth of your first and see what an experienced OB/midwife would say. I believe that an experienced practitioner would know that "shoulder dystocia" (baby's shoulders getting stuck) can be common and that they should know how to rotate the baby to help ease them out of the birth canal. And each baby is different, I have heard stories from ladies here and others online, in books, etc about how the first baby was hard to deliver but then the second one was easier even though they were a bigger baby than the first. So I don't think your doctor can predict that this one will be bad just because your first got a little stuck on the way out. I worry that your doctor is just instilling fear in you when that's not necessary. Just to me, personally, it sounds like she panicked and didn't know what to do when your first got his shoulders stuck, whereas someone who was trained properly would know what to do and how to help baby out without panicking about it. That's just my take on this!

March 25th, 2013, 08:15 AM
Rhonda66's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by markswife View Post
I'm not really sure what exactly happened with DD that things got so complicated. I know that part of the problem was I hadn't slept in two days and was just completely exhausted and not really able to push very effectively. DD passed her meconium and had some issues with her heart rate dropping so I think that's when she decided to vacuum. I don't really know where to go to get the records to find out what happened. I suppose the hospital might have them.

I will have an ultrasound at 38 weeks to see how big the baby is. I thought she had said 36 weeks early on which would be my next appointment. She said to wait until 38 weeks because you can't do anything elective before 39 weeks anyways.

I'm torn on what to do. Every doctor that I have seen has said that I could do an elective C-section if that is what I choose, no questions asked. I would really prefer to not have that recovery with a toddler running around. But I'm terrified of having the same complications again. We've talked about being induced and seeing how the baby and I tolerate labor. I'm open to a C-section if that is what is recommended. It's just not my preference. I'm still hoping this baby will come in the backseat on the way to the hospital! HA!!

I'm not sure what to think about your doctor's response. If anything, I feel like I'm the alarmist and the doctors have all been pretty calm about the last delivery. I've been told several times that the second baby is easier because the first one paved the way so to speak. I'm banking on that being true!!
I am so torn too. I felt like the alarmist even mentioning it to my current Doctor and was at peace with the plan and then it got all turned upside down by DS' Doctor in a matter of seconds. I know they would do an elective c-section if I asked, the thing is that I really don't want one either due to my job that requires a lot of heavy lifting so I want the least down time possible. When it comes down to it, I just want what's going to be best for the baby of course. Neither of the Doctors has used the term "elective" so I think they all shy away from that at this practice. I believe they're doing my US at 37 weeks and we're deciding then because DS was born at 38 weeks so they don't want me to go into labor before the US if possible.

Joy, the Doctor who delivered DS is one of the senior ones at the practice - as is my current one - and I have complete faith in both of them. It's a practice of all women Doctors and you get rotated intermittently among them for appointments because any one of them might deliver the baby, but you have one Doctor that is the primary one throughout the process - so I can ask any of them for their opinions on the matter luckily. I know it's just me and I'm worrying about, and trying control, things that are basically out of my hands lol. DSs Doctor told me that the issue with me isn't the size of the baby, it's that my pelvis is too narrow. I think I didn't take her that seriously because she did handle it so calmly and was able to get him out so that when she said that it just went in one ear and out the other at the time. What I really need to do is be patient until 37 weeks and not think about all the "what ifs" between now and then. I definitely can't wait to see my current Doctor next week to see what she has to say...
March 25th, 2013, 08:20 AM
Rhonda, that makes sense. I hope you can get some good news at your next ultrasound! Good luck! I know I am worrying about all the possible outcomes too, instead of just trying to roll with the punches. It's hard to just relax and trust, but it's better to do that than worrying. Here's to healthy deliveries all around!
Rhonda66 likes this.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search