When will you start solid foods?

Forum: May 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree12Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To May 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 26th, 2013, 08:44 AM
pressedfairie's Avatar Super Mommy
I thought this was an interesting article.

Many U.S. infants are fed solid food too early, CDC study finds

I exclusively breastfed DS, and we didn't start solids until 6 months. By that time, he already had 4 teeth, so we mostly did baby led weaning. I plan to do the same with this baby. I remember being practically harassed by some family members about why I hadn't given DS solids yet. It was soooooo annoying!!

When do you plan to start solids?

Thank you peimum for my awesome siggy!
March 26th, 2013, 09:27 AM
selenamdz's Avatar Veteran
I started at 6 months with all my boys, I will this time as well.
For me, I feel 4-5 months is too early :)

March 26th, 2013, 09:53 AM
Elly M.'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
There was something on the news about this last night. I was shocked to hear that some parents start at 4 weeks! In my opinion, that is kind of crazy. My son was started on solids around 6 months also, and a few people told me that was horrible and he is starving, mind you he was in the 150th percent until he was 1, lol. I plan on waiting that long at least with this baby also
Mrsbowbin likes this.

5/25/03 with us for 6 months
8/11/12 with us for 5 weeks

March 26th, 2013, 10:07 AM
May 2013 Cohost
We'll start at 5 months like I did with my first, just with cereals though. The AAP says between 4-6 months, so I chose the middle!
March 26th, 2013, 10:32 AM
EverydayJoy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I started at 4 months, I was planning to wait to 6 but I was desperate to try to get some extra sleep at night. DS had ongoing tummy issues and reflux and I thought, maybe he is just hungry? Maybe rice cereal will stay down better? Maybe, maybe...so we tried it. It didn't really help, but he really enjoyed it. The only thing that helped was weaning him at 8 months. He's still not a good sleeper, but it made a huge difference for him for night wakenings and daytime fussiness.

Little Bud: Blooming in Heaven 1.24.12
March 26th, 2013, 10:43 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I'm going to try to exclusively breastfeed until 6 months. The baby led weaning is interesting to me, so I might try that when I start introducing solids, but who knows. That's about as much thought as I've put into the matter.
March 26th, 2013, 11:13 AM
ashj_1218's Avatar Hiya!
Liam was 5 months. Kieran was 6+ months (I don't remember exactly, it might have been closer to 7 months). I don't remember why we started Liam when we did. I do remember it had to do with his pooing issue and the pedi said prunes might help But I had done more research by the time I had Kieran. We did baby-led weaning with him, so it was kinda gradual and slow to start. I won't start this baby til after 6 month. And we will skip the purées again. I loved baby-led weaning.
March 26th, 2013, 01:08 PM
Mega Super Mommy
We'll wait and see when baby shows a need or readiness for solids. I also plan to do BLW, but I hold the belief that 'food before 1 is just for fun'... I hope to breastfeed full term and as long as baby is getting his nutrition from that, I don't really have a set plan yet... But I do agree that under 6 months is a little young, however I've had friends that planned at starting at 9 months, and due to some pretty bad reflux and other issues started solids around 4.5 months, so I guess you just never know!

March 26th, 2013, 01:19 PM
Liztastic's Avatar Super Mommy
I'll wait until she is showing an interest in what we are eating at dinner, probably around 9 months though is my guess. I plan on nursing until she weans herself, however long that maybe.

Mom to:
Madalynn Faith ~ 2001
Alala Love ~ 2004
Elle Rain ~ 2008
Tilly Moon ~ 2013
March 26th, 2013, 01:49 PM
I've read about BLW, and I think I will go the traditional route of baby foods. Makes me nervous giving a baby a chunk of food! I'm sure BLW is wonderful, but it just goes against my instincts.

March 26th, 2013, 01:54 PM
jcperez's Avatar 1 Busy Momma
I was thinking around 4 months. I'd like to hear about the new study they are finding on this. I saw something about this on the news but I missed what they said and found about it.

Mommy to Lorenzo, Marino and Remy
March 26th, 2013, 03:03 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I'm going to start whenever I darn well feel like it and think baby is ready. In 11 years of having babies, they have changed their recommendations so often that I have given up listening to their "advice". But it'll probably end up being around 5-6 months old.
March 26th, 2013, 03:03 PM
Brock's minion
My plan is to breast feed exclusively for 6 months and then introduce some solids. I have read many negative things about using rice cereals and I want to help reduce carb dependency for my son. We plan on starting with fruits and veggies and skip cereals.

Michelle
March 26th, 2013, 03:12 PM
May 2013 Cohost
Cereals are good for the iron though...I don't think there's much iron in breastmilk.
March 26th, 2013, 03:16 PM
Brock's minion
Breast milk is loaded with iron (from what I have read) rice cereals were said to be introduced at 6 months for formula babies before they became iron enriched.
I obviously have not completed my research but I am looking to follow the principle and if its an iron issue I will use iron rich veggies.

Michelle
March 26th, 2013, 03:48 PM
Super Mommy
You should start when your baby shows you signs s/he is ready. I know some mommies who started their babies on solids at four months, actually at the four month check-up, the nurse suggested I start my DD on rice cereal. I refused. Waited till after she was 6 months. One time I was eating an apple and DD grabbed it from my hand and put it in her mouth. I started her really slowly (she was 8 months when she was finally on solid food) but she turned out to be so picky...
March 26th, 2013, 07:05 PM
I read that breast milk has relatively low levels of iron, but it's extremely absorbable, so it doesn't need to be as high of levels as say, fortified formula.

March 26th, 2013, 07:35 PM
May 2013 Cohost
Joy, that's what I read too. But at 6 months, breastfed babies need alternative sources of iron...such as iron rich veggies. There were some veggies that had a lot of iron that weren't recommended at 6 months due to the level of nitrates, which is why we did a lot of the iron rich cereals then. Meat has a lot of iron, but you don't start meats at 6 months. Either way, they do test babies for anemia at the 9 month check up, so you will know if your baby is getting enough iron by then. Even though we did cereals, my son rarely had carbs his first year. By one year, I was told to actually increase his carbs because he was on the very low end of weight and his blood test showed he was in ketosis, which can happen on a low carb diet. I was mortified and felt awful. That's when we started bread!
EverydayJoy likes this.

Last edited by kary4; March 26th, 2013 at 07:40 PM.
March 26th, 2013, 08:07 PM
Brock's minion
Joy maybe that's what I read about it being absorbable so less iron is needed. I really worry about carb dependency from early introduction. They are linking it to obesity and diabetes and other life long issues. Like I said I'm still reading an looking for info but its an issue that I'm very concerned with. Ill have to do some research on ketosis Kary, I've never heard of low carb issues with children (have heard the anemia issue before though).

Michelle
March 26th, 2013, 08:13 PM
Purrrrrrr's Avatar Semi-crunchy Mommy
Gabe was about 5 1/2 months. I gave him some of those gerber puffs that dissolve in their mouths. I mostly gave them to him so he could develop his pincer grasp. We started him on cereal when he was 6 months, but he wasn't a big fan. We mostly did BLW, which is great. He was feeding himself with a spoon by 9 months... not very accurately at first, but he's a pro now.

My Boring Blog

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search