Evening Primrose Oil

Forum: May 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By 4 boys
  • 1 Post By jcperez
  • 1 Post By Memi

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To May 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 29th, 2013, 01:03 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Anyone else plan on taking evening primrose oil at the end of your pregnancy?

I'll be starting at 36 weeks. With my 3rd son, I didn't dilate at all before having to be induced, even when I was two weeks overdue. That ended up being my worst labor experience. To avoid that with my 4th, my midwife suggested EPO so I took it from 36-40 weeks. When I went into labor 2 days before my due date I was already 5 cm dilated and 70% effaced.

So I am definitely doing it again. I'll start with 2000 mg a day at 36 weeks. There's my plug for EPO.
EverydayJoy likes this.
March 29th, 2013, 02:45 PM
Veteran
I've never heard of it. After your labor experience with #4 being so much better, I'm not surprised you are taking the EPO. Good luck
March 29th, 2013, 03:01 PM
jcperez's Avatar 1 Busy Momma
Never heard of it but heck...I will give it a try! Im hoping Im 8 cent. dilated before Im induced
EverydayJoy likes this.

Mommy to Lorenzo, Marino and Remy
March 29th, 2013, 05:30 PM
pressedfairie's Avatar Super Mommy
I never really researched EPO, but I'm willing to give it a try - anything to go into labor on my own and avoid a C-section.

Is there a brand that was recommended by your midwife?

Thank you peimum for my awesome siggy!
March 29th, 2013, 05:38 PM
Mega Super Mommy
No, she didn't recommend a certain brand. I think it wouldn't really make much difference. I'm not even sure what brand I have now; I got it from my SIL.
March 29th, 2013, 06:26 PM
Super Mommy
Yeah I remember being told about it by my midwife too with my first, but she wasn't really advising me to take it per se, I just heard about it and asked her, she said it was ok and safe and that some women swear by it. I never took it though. I did however consume crazy amounts of fresh pineapple and dates (both for the same reason). Also, one more thing that helps with speeding up labor/dilating: sex!

Good luck!
March 29th, 2013, 07:34 PM
misty3281's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Never heard of it. Do you have to take it a certain amount of time for it to work? My doc was talking like he would probably induce me before my due date because of the pre-e so anything I can take that might make it go a little smoother is definitely worth looking into. I'll ask him about it at my appt Tuesday.
March 29th, 2013, 07:39 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I'm really not sure on the time frame. I would assume that any amount of time taking it is better than none! It's just supposed to soften your cervix and get it ready for labor; it's not supposed to cause labor or anything like that.

Also, I suppose I can't say definitely that it's what made the difference with my last baby not being overdue, but I'm going to do it again anyway to see if it helps again. Can't hurt!
March 30th, 2013, 05:54 AM
pressedfairie's Avatar Super Mommy
Just did some more research on EPO and found out that it is also a natural blood thinner. So, if there is the possibility that you may have surgery (c-section), it can be a bad thing. I will probably pass on the EPO, just in case. If I hadn't already had a c-section, I would probably try it.

Thank you peimum for my awesome siggy!
March 30th, 2013, 08:19 AM
EverydayJoy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Interesting! I don't think I'll take it, but if I go overdue, you know I'm going to be reaching for anything and everything that might work!

Little Bud: Blooming in Heaven 1.24.12
March 30th, 2013, 09:56 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by pressedfairie View Post
Just did some more research on EPO and found out that it is also a natural blood thinner. So, if there is the possibility that you may have surgery (c-section), it can be a bad thing. I will probably pass on the EPO, just in case. If I hadn't already had a c-section, I would probably try it.
Crap. I didn't know that. Guess that's why we should all do our own research.
March 30th, 2013, 10:13 AM
Memi's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I took it with my first and have just started taking it again. The thing is, I can't remember how much I took with DS so it's something I need to ask my midwives about next week. Some people start taking it vaginally at the very end but I only took it orally. IDK if it's attributed to the EPO or not, but I was 3 cms dialated with DS at the end of my pregnancy before I ever went into labor. I figure it sure can't hurt. I am 34 weeks and just started taking one small capsule a day along with my prenatal. I'm just going to take the smallest amount until I talk to my midwives about it and get a bit closer.
Also, I ended up having to get an unplanned C-section with DS and had no issues with excess bleeding and like I said I had been taking the EPO pretty religiously for many weeks. While I'm not saying that fact isn't accurate, I wouldn't avoid taking it if you don't *plan* to have a c-section. Just my personal take on it.
4 boys likes this.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search