Epi or no?

Forum: May 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree25Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To May 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 2nd, 2013, 08:54 AM
jcperez's Avatar 1 Busy Momma
Was induced both times and the epi didnt work at all for me even when I wanted it. I wouldnt know what labor is like without being induced. from what people say its alot more painful than going naturally.This is my 3rd and last, I just want a more enjoyable experience this time. I will be induced again. Being in that much pain was not enjoyable for me. My plan is to get the epi as soon as I can get it, BEFORE my water breaks and hopefully before I am in tremendous pain. I hope if I get it early enough, maybe, JUST maybe the epi will work this time around for me.

Mommy to Lorenzo, Marino and Remy
April 2nd, 2013, 08:59 AM
MrsLisaT's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
As a FTM, both the idea of with or without scare me!! LOL. My plan is to go naturally as long as possible but to be okay with it if and when I need to get the epi.
kary4 and Mrsbowbin like this.
April 2nd, 2013, 11:47 AM
Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to LolaBadola
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsjl View Post
I am hoping not, but I know if I labor too long or have back labor I am going to be very tempted. I had an epi birth and a natural birth, and I much preferred the recovery of the natural birth.
How were your recoveries different?

April 2nd, 2013, 11:48 AM
Themrs0523's Avatar Super Mommy
The plan is no epi for me. After being in the hospital for kidney stone pain and feeling so bad after coming off of that medicine, I can't imagine how that would make a baby feel. I am praying and planning for a drug free birth.
April 2nd, 2013, 06:30 PM
May 2013 Cohost
Morphine is very different from an epidural though...they work in totally different ways.
April 2nd, 2013, 06:35 PM
Themrs0523's Avatar Super Mommy
That's true. I just don't want to be hindered in my recovery or the baby's.
I'm not ruling it out though... I know you can't really prepare for what labor will be like until you are in it.
April 2nd, 2013, 06:53 PM
May 2013 Cohost
Good for you. If you do end up choosing one, I don't think your recovery or baby's will be hindered. Mine seemed to wear off pretty quickly, like in a couple of hours. My son was born at 4:50 pm and by bedtime the numbness wore off. Also, he was able to latch right away.
April 2nd, 2013, 07:33 PM
markswife's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I got one with DD. I started having contractions on Friday at noon and they never got regular. By the time we went to the hospital in the early morning hours on Sunday, I would have accepted anything that was offered that would give me some relief and some rest. My plan was to wait as long as possible before getting one and walking around as much as possible. What actually happened was the nurse asking if I had thought about the epidural and me telling her that I had thought about nothing but the epidural for most of the last 12 hours. Call the doctor right now.

I'm going in with the same plan to wait as long as possible. I'm hoping that the contractions will be more productive this time. I didn't realize that you had to keep pushing the button on the epidural to keep the medicine going so part of me thinks I can make it through with no epidural this time.
April 3rd, 2013, 06:22 AM
ambee's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I have no desire to get any pain meds. I won't swear 100% that I won't get one, but I can't see any reason (short of possibly an induction) that would entice me to get one. I know I can do it naturally, and I know for me it was such a positive experience that I want to repeat that.

*Thank you so much to Jaidynsmum for my beautiful siggy!*

Sophie Lucille: In my life for a moment, in my heart for a lifetime. May 25th, 2006 at 16 weeks.
April 3rd, 2013, 08:33 AM
selenamdz's Avatar Veteran
My first was no epi, 2nd and 3rd I got an epi..
I would like to try another drug free birth. It is hard though because my husband is soo for modern medicine. SO anytime I am in pain he is like " PLEASE get an epidural!!" LOL I will try to ignore him, just because I like feeling like myself right after labor, like I did with my 1st. It was a neat experience.

April 3rd, 2013, 09:02 AM
WantingAnother's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I will go as long as I can without, then I will get one as soon as I need to.

April 3rd, 2013, 09:04 AM
EverydayJoy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by selenamdz View Post
My first was no epi, 2nd and 3rd I got an epi..
I would like to try another drug free birth. It is hard though because my husband is soo for modern medicine. SO anytime I am in pain he is like " PLEASE get an epidural!!" LOL I will try to ignore him, just because I like feeling like myself right after labor, like I did with my 1st. It was a neat experience.
He probably just has a hard time seeing you in pain! I think it must be hard for our men sometimes to watch us go through all of that. But hopefully he will respect your wishes and support you in going drug-free.

Little Bud: Blooming in Heaven 1.24.12
April 5th, 2013, 07:11 AM
Liztastic's Avatar Super Mommy
I've always wanted a completely natural birth, and I do pretty good until they break my water and I'm stuck on my back. With my 2nd DD I labored at home for a very long time and went in to find I was already at 7cm, I almost did a natural birth with her until I was stuck on my back for a very long time. Once I got to the hospital I was put in a bed and it took from about Noon-6pm to get from 7 to 10! This time I'm going to insist I move around because I know that my body does so much better moving around. But we shall see what happens. Ahhh, I'm so flipping excited talking about going into labor

Mom to:
Madalynn Faith ~ 2001
Alala Love ~ 2004
Elle Rain ~ 2008
Tilly Moon ~ 2013
April 5th, 2013, 10:22 AM
Sapphera's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
One of my coworkers reminded me of another reason I'll definitely be getting an epi... I broke my tailbone less than 3 years ago...and there's a good chance it will re-break during birth. I totally forgot about that possibility and now I'm freaking out!
WTTC #2
April 5th, 2013, 10:22 AM
Mega Super Mommy
They are not generally available at my hospital, so I'm going in with the expectation of not having one. I am ok with this, I feel that there are risks involved that I'm not ok with, and I believe that often starting with one intervention, it leads to another and another etc. That said, I've never given birth before, I don't know what will happen, and I know it is wise to never say never!

April 6th, 2013, 02:10 PM
EverydayJoy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sapphera View Post
One of my coworkers reminded me of another reason I'll definitely be getting an epi... I broke my tailbone less than 3 years ago...and there's a good chance it will re-break during birth. I totally forgot about that possibility and now I'm freaking out!
OUCH!
When I worked at a medical clinic up in Homer, AK, we had one patient who had broken her tailbone with her first birth, and was pregnant with her second. They did everything they could to prevent it this time around (positioning, counter-pressure on her tailbone during delivery), and she still broke it a second time. Poor thing

Little Bud: Blooming in Heaven 1.24.12

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search