Epi or no?

Forum: May 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree25Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To May 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 1st, 2013, 11:06 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I AM getting it this time. I've had 2 natural home births - both my girls were born in the bathtub. I just don't WANT to do it again, I don't want to feel that pain. Since I have to have a hospital birth this time, since we now live too far from a hospital to have another homebirth, I've decided to just get the epi. If it doesn't take, it doesn't take.....since I've had 2 natural births already I know what to expect from that. If it does take, it will be a nice surprise.

Thank you Kiliki... for my adorable signature!
April 1st, 2013, 11:09 AM
MrsNHigh's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
At first I wasn't going to get one, but with the location of my fibroid imagine the pain will be even worse, plus if I need an emergency c-section which is likely,, I want everything to be in place.
rheaimedved likes this.

Nichole
April 1st, 2013, 11:15 AM
misty3281's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I don't want one, but now that I'm facing a probable induction and possible c-section I'm a lot more open to it. I worry about my bp going too high with the pain of natural birth and that being the reason they do a section.
kary4 likes this.
April 1st, 2013, 11:25 AM
May 2013 Cohost
I'm planning to get if if I can (I have a low platelet issue so won't know until d day)...but I'm going to try to hold off until 4-5 cm like last time.
April 1st, 2013, 12:06 PM
EverydayJoy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I'd prefer not to if I can help it, but if I have to be induced, I'm going to be thinking about it. Plus my cardiologist said I probably should have some kind of pain meds, so that the tachycardia doesn't get worse because of pain...I'm hoping to prove him wrong on that one. We'll see! I think you ladies are doing the right thing for you, that's what matters most.

Little Bud: Blooming in Heaven 1.24.12
April 1st, 2013, 12:27 PM
Brock's minion
I'm being induced and my goal is to just do what's best for me as I go through labor. This is my first baby and since I have no idea what I'm in for I refuse to say what I will and won't do.
ambee, EverydayJoy, kary4 and 1 others like this.

Michelle
April 1st, 2013, 12:38 PM
ashj_1218's Avatar Hiya!
I'll go with 80% no, 20% yes. Lol.

Chances are that I will go into labor on my own before I-day (induction day, 39w). BUT, if I don't happen to do it myself, I will NOT be getting pitocin AND going natural. Been there, done that, don't want to again So I feel ya on just wanting something different. I will absolutely opt for an epi if pitocin enters the picture. And am totally at peace with that.

Given my history of births at 36 & 37 weeks, I am hoping it doesn't come down to an induction. And I am probably going to go natural if I labor on my own. There are some issues surrounding my anticoagulants and spinal injections anyway, so it's potentially not even going to be possible to get an epi, depending on my last dose of meds. Hence why they induce at 39 weeks (among other reasons with the meds), to better control the dose in relation to labor.

So, yeah, I am kinda doing a go with the flow thing. Whatever happens, happens
rheaimedved likes this.
April 1st, 2013, 01:53 PM
mrsjl's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I am hoping not, but I know if I labor too long or have back labor I am going to be very tempted. I had an epi birth and a natural birth, and I much preferred the recovery of the natural birth.

April 1st, 2013, 01:53 PM
Sapphera's Avatar NTNP Host
I know I will be asking for an epi.. I'm planning on waiting as long as I can to get it so I can walk, move around, go in the tub, etc.. but I will be getting one
NTNP #2
April 1st, 2013, 03:47 PM
Kenzie's Avatar Photography Momma
Yes! My last birth was at 32 weeks, pitocin and no epi. I do not want to go thru it natural again.
April 1st, 2013, 04:00 PM
pressedfairie's Avatar Super Mommy
No epi for me. I think that might have contributed to my c-section last time, and also...I just don't want to pay for it! We're paying out of pocket for everything this time. Anyway, since I'm going for a VBAC, I want no interventions unless medically necessary.
rheaimedved likes this.

Thank you peimum for my awesome siggy!
April 1st, 2013, 04:04 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Nope. Unless something happens where I have to have one.
April 1st, 2013, 04:15 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I had one the last time and honestly it didn't take very well made me have electric shocks down my legs also they keep uping the dose so I was really drugged up but we will see depends how I feel I'm not sure I could do it natural x

April 1st, 2013, 06:42 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I'm planning to go as natural as possible, so no. P.S. this should've been a poll!!
April 1st, 2013, 06:51 PM
Purrrrrrr's Avatar Semi-crunchy Mommy
Not this time. I was induced with DS (long and slow with cervadil), but I had to have fluids the whole time and swelled up... I got the epidural and was stuck on my back to deliver and that's just not the way I'm made to give birth. I think if I would've been able to get up and move around, things would've gone more smoothly, so I'm not going to do it this time.

My Boring Blog
April 1st, 2013, 07:18 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I've never had one, and am hoping to go without again this time. I never say never though because each birth is so different. I hear jokes about baby's just falling out after about 5 of them and although I've never had it happen, I'm sure hoping!

April 1st, 2013, 08:05 PM
Super Mommy
Heck yes! I love drugs!
April 1st, 2013, 08:09 PM
Memi's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm hoping to go without one. I want my VBAC so badly that I'm really wanting to push myself through and work with my body to try to avoid any possible interventions that may complicate things for me. I plan to use the water as my pain management but of course I know to expect the unexpected so we'll just have to see how my labor progresses.

April 2nd, 2013, 12:59 AM
usnwifey9's Avatar Veteran
I'm more open to having an epi this time around ;P. Even though I eventually got it while delivering DS, because of some "environmental circumstances" the pain relief didn't kick in until right AFTER DS was born. Soo... In a way I feel like I already had my "natural" birth experience since I felt EVERYTHING, lol. Proud as I am to have survived it , I'm okay with cheating a little bit this time .

April 2nd, 2013, 08:44 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Counting our Blessings View Post
I hear jokes about baby's just falling out after about 5 of them and although I've never had it happen, I'm sure hoping!
that's pretty much what i assumed happened...

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search