O/T--potty training

Forum: May 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree27Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To May 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 4th, 2013, 10:06 AM
MrsNHigh's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm a believer in not doing what is best for me, but what works best for my kid. Forcing him to poop on the toilet proved futile. Of course he CAN go on the toilet, but if he's not mentally ready, what can you do?
kary4 and rheaimedved like this.

Nichole
April 4th, 2013, 12:07 PM
May 2013 Cohost
Ok, so today my son said he wanted to go poop right before nap. I thought it was a stall tactic so I said no. He cried and fussed and seemed insistent so I let him sit. I got the timer out and he lost it. He didn't want the timer and seemed really upset - more so than usual. So I got rid of it. I decided to take a different approach. I left him alone on his potty chair and went into my bedroom and just relaxed and waited. I played on my iPad and let him sit for 10 min. I went to check on him - nothing. Then I went back to my bedroom and left him again. Another 10 min passed and I heard some moaning and whimpering from him. Then I heard him crying hard. I bolted into the bathroom and there was poop on the floor! My guess is he stood up while he was doing it bc he was scared. I calmed him down and praised him like crazy. Then Daddy came up (he is working from home today) praised him, and got him 3 Hershey Kisses. I used toilet paper to grab the poop and then I let my son flush it. I cleaned DS up while hubby Swiffered the floor. This is progress, right?!

Last edited by kary4; April 4th, 2013 at 12:10 PM.
April 4th, 2013, 01:11 PM
EverydayJoy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Yes I'd say that's progress! Today I tried bringing the potty chair out in the living room, and when he said he needed to poop I had him sit on it (despite protests). Nothing doing there, so next I tried laying a diaper on the potty chair and having him sit on it. That didn't work either and he was getting more and more worked up about wanting a diaper on that I didn't want to make that big a deal out of it. I told him we'll try again next time. He hasn't gone yet, and is napping minus the diaper.

Little Bud: Blooming in Heaven 1.24.12
April 4th, 2013, 01:16 PM
May 2013 Cohost
What about letting him have the diaper on, but he has to do it in the bathroom? That's a compromise!

Joy, what day in Jan was your son born? Wondering if our boys share the same bday!
April 4th, 2013, 01:18 PM
Ethan was born on the 2nd, he was almost the first baby of the year in Homer, Alaska. But didn't quite make it!

That might be an idea with doing it in the bathroom. I'm sure he wouldn't mind that, since he doesn't seem to have a preference for where he does it.

April 4th, 2013, 01:38 PM
May 2013 Cohost
My son is Jan. 3 and my father is Jan. 2!
April 4th, 2013, 01:45 PM
Wow that's so cool! Hehe! So your son is a day younger than mine? He's 3, right?

April 4th, 2013, 01:49 PM
MrsNHigh's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Kary! That's awesome progress!

Nichole
April 4th, 2013, 02:32 PM
May 2013 Cohost
Thanks Nichole!

Joy, yes, he's one day younger than yours! Jan. 3, 2010...and now you and I have a similar due date. I'm due May 4!
April 4th, 2013, 03:07 PM
Oh wow, that is too funny Kary! Maybe your next one will be a day older than my next one eh? That's almost eerie! Hah!

April 4th, 2013, 07:11 PM
pressedfairie's Avatar Super Mommy
I'm still working on potty training DS also, but I'm having the opposite problem. He hasn't pooped in a diaper since before the new year, but he doesn't want to be bothered with peeing in the potty. He's too busy playing and doesn't want to stop and go. Drives me nuts!! But I've decided that it's not worth the arguing and headache to force or pressure him to do it.

I, personally, would just take the wait and see approach. I don't like to put extra pressure on DS if I don't have to.
EverydayJoy and MrsNHigh like this.

Thank you peimum for my awesome siggy!
April 4th, 2013, 08:05 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by pressedfairie View Post
I'm still working on potty training DS also, but I'm having the opposite problem. He hasn't pooped in a diaper since before the new year, but he doesn't want to be bothered with peeing in the potty. He's too busy playing and doesn't want to stop and go. Drives me nuts!! But I've decided that it's not worth the arguing and headache to force or pressure him to do it.

I, personally, would just take the wait and see approach. I don't like to put extra pressure on DS if I don't have to.
Since you're only dealing with pee, this might be useful for you: one of my friends was telling me tonight that she just switched to underwear one day and the first time her daughter started to pee and it immediately soaked the undies and ran down her leg she started freaking out, and that was the last time that happened. Maybe just removing the comfort of peeing in a diaper would help him.
April 5th, 2013, 08:50 AM
pressedfairie's Avatar Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by rheaimedved View Post
Since you're only dealing with pee, this might be useful for you: one of my friends was telling me tonight that she just switched to underwear one day and the first time her daughter started to pee and it immediately soaked the undies and ran down her leg she started freaking out, and that was the last time that happened. Maybe just removing the comfort of peeing in a diaper would help him.
That's actually what I thought would happen, so I had started making him wear cloth training pants (the feel wet kind), and we even tried underwear. He would literally soak through it, and then fuss when I told him we needed to change his underwear/pants. We battled for about 2 weeks about it. Sometimes he'll wear the trainers, and then tell me when he has to pee or just peed, and then sometimes he absolutely refuses to put on anything but a diaper. Lately, it's only diapers (pullups). Ugh!

I was actually thinking that I might hide all the disposables, and tell him we were out of diapers. lol. The only problem would be when he goes to preschool.
rheaimedved likes this.

Thank you peimum for my awesome siggy!
April 5th, 2013, 12:23 PM
May 2013 Cohost
We didn't even start pee trianing until my son turned 3. It took forever to get that first pee in the potty. We had regular times throughout the day to sit on the potty and we did a couple of potty stories each time. Then one day he peed in the potty and it's been pretty smooth sailing since. I did not think the bootcamp method was good for our family, although I did look into it. Also, we sometimes use a pull up during the day if my son is out of underwear (bc I haven't done laundry), and there is absolutely no confusion with him when he wears a pull up. He now tells me when he has to go instead of having regular potty times.

Now we just have to work on the poop!
pressedfairie and EverydayJoy like this.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search