Cervical progress?

Forum: May 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree12Likes
  • 2 Post By ambee
  • 1 Post By Purrrrrrr
  • 1 Post By EverydayJoy
  • 1 Post By misty3281
  • 1 Post By markswife
  • 1 Post By Liztastic
  • 2 Post By Memi
  • 1 Post By kary4
  • 1 Post By ashj_1218
  • 1 Post By kary4

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To May 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 4th, 2013, 12:22 PM
ambee's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
If this has already been talked about, then please ignore the question! I know most of us aren't even quite to 36 weeks, but I was wondering who else has been checked yet and if there's anything going on.

BTDT moms, how was your cervical progression with previous babies?

I've been checked every week since 30 weeks (PTL issues) and will probably continue to be checked every week until I deliver. Apparently when you show up to the hospital with your previous child already 8 cm dilated, and 6 weeks early to boot, they don't quite trust you to get to the hospital in time with subsequent babies.

Anywho, I was a fingertip for the first few checks (I was also checked in L&D at 27 weeks). For the past 2 weeks I've been 1 cm and 25% effaced and super soft.

With Grace, I was 1 cm and 75% at 34 weeks even. Delivered at 34w4d.

Anyone else?
Purrrrrrr and rheaimedved like this.

*Thank you so much to Jaidynsmum for my beautiful siggy!*

Sophie Lucille: In my life for a moment, in my heart for a lifetime. May 25th, 2006 at 16 weeks.
April 4th, 2013, 12:35 PM
Purrrrrrr's Avatar Semi-crunchy Mommy
I have been checked a few times this pregnancy with all the bleeding, but not recently. I think the last time was the end of January (when I should not have been checked, but that wasn't my doctor's that did it... it was a stupid ER doc) and I was still closed up tight.

With my son, I had what I thought was indigestion on Easter after dinner, and at my appointment the next day I asked to be checked and I was 3cm, but I stayed like that up until induction.

I don't know if my midwife will start checking me at 37 weeks or not. She might, but they're really hands-off with that kind of stuff unless there's a problem or you ask.
ambee likes this.

My Boring Blog
April 4th, 2013, 12:46 PM
I think it's interesting that you're on your 2nd baby too, and were still closed up tight. They wouldn't concede that I was in mild PTL for quite a while, because all of my progression was being blamed on the fact that he's my 2nd. First I had a super soft cervix and was a fingertip dilated, which was "probably because you had one before." I definitely agree I could have been slightly dilated because of that, but having a super soft cervix isn't usually a by product of how many kids you've had.

Then I dilated a little further to a full 1 cm, but that was still being blamed on the 2nd baby. THEN I effaced 25% in a week after a really bad week of contractions. Couldn't deny that!

Anyways, all of that is to say that I've known so many women who are on 2nd or more babies who can still stay closed until ctx start moving them along! Good to know!

Sophie Lucille: In my life for a moment, in my heart for a lifetime. May 25th, 2006 at 16 weeks.
April 4th, 2013, 01:07 PM
EverydayJoy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I don't recall how things were with DS, I seem to remember being dilated just a teensy when I was getting close to my due date, but I hadn't had any contractions or anything.
With this one, I think I get my first check tomorrow at 35 1/2 weeks. It's weird because with my first it seemed like they were checking me all the time all throughout the pregnancy. I don't know if that was just my perception of it and my memory is warped, but I was expecting to get checked a lot sooner with this pregnancy. I understand though that it's best not to mess with it if you don't need it.
I'm hoping I'm at least a teeny bit dilated or maybe somewhat effaced or something...guess we'll see!
ambee likes this.

Little Bud: Blooming in Heaven 1.24.12
April 4th, 2013, 01:42 PM
misty3281's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I was checked today, probably only because he was doing the gbs swab anyway, but he said she is head down and low but I'm not dilating yet. At my last BPP Tuesday she was still face up so I'm hoping she turns backward soon.
ambee likes this.
April 4th, 2013, 02:15 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I think she said 2 cm dilated, very soft and thin, and the baby is really low. She strongly suggested keeping a hospital bag packed since it could (but won't necessarily) be any time now. She doesn't routinely check dilation, but wanted to do a pelvic exam just to get a feel for my pelvis (since I'm a new patient).
April 4th, 2013, 02:18 PM
markswife's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by misty3281 View Post
I was checked today, probably only because he was doing the gbs swab anyway, but he said she is head down and low but I'm not dilating yet. At my last BPP Tuesday she was still face up so I'm hoping she turns backward soon.
This sounds like my appointment yesterday. I wasn't sure she would check me but I guess if I was doing the gbs swab, she might as well check.

With DD, my first check was the week before Christmas and I was so scared I would have a baby right around Christmas and didn't want that to happen so I told her not to tell me what she found. So the first three checks, I have no idea what they felt. I think my 40 week appointment was on Friday and I was still closed with no real change but started having contractions later that afternoon and had DD on Sunday.

I'm not sure that the check really tells you anything concrete. Look at how many of us have walked around weeks dilated to 3 or have gone from 1 to 6 in just a couple hours. Even though I know it doesn't mean much I still wanted to know!!
rheaimedved likes this.
April 4th, 2013, 03:43 PM
Liztastic's Avatar Super Mommy
With my first DD I was 3cm from 37 weeks until I had her at 40 weeks. With my 2nd I was 1-2 cm at 37 weeks and had her at 38.4 weeks and with my 3rd DD I think I was around he same 1-2 cm until I was induced at 39 weeks. Not for sure when I'll be checked with this one, maybe at 36 weeks? After being 3cm for so long with my first DD, I've learned not to get super excited.
rheaimedved likes this.

Mom to:
Madalynn Faith ~ 2001
Alala Love ~ 2004
Elle Rain ~ 2008
Tilly Moon ~ 2013
April 4th, 2013, 04:18 PM
Memi's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I opted not to be checked at my appointment today but the pelvic pressure has become very intense in the last week. While I think baby is dropping down I don't think I'm progressing this early.

I'm trying to remember, but I'm pretty sure at 38 week appt. with DS I was 1 cm dilated and then at my 39 week appt. I was 3 cm dilated. I lost my plug (....errr "Flubber") two days later and ended up going into labor a few days after that at 39w6d, he was born on his EDD.
EverydayJoy and rheaimedved like this.

April 4th, 2013, 04:38 PM
selenamdz's Avatar Veteran
I was dilated at 29 weeks and 100% effaced with my second son- he was born at 39 weeks and 3 days (because I was INDUCED) HA!
With my third son I was dilated at 35 weeks, he was born at 39 weeks and 4 days.
I find out on the 11th if I am dilated, but I wont let that get my hopes up if I am.. been there done that! haha

April 4th, 2013, 07:17 PM
May 2013 Cohost
With my first, I opted out of any cervical checks prior to labor bc I was GBS positive. I believe I will go the same route this time, even if I'm GBS negative. I see no need to stress myself out with them bc they don't predict when you go into labor anyway. Thankfully my doctor is cool with it.
April 4th, 2013, 07:30 PM
usnwifey9's Avatar Veteran
I was checked on a whim today during my weekly NST after the nurse noticed I was having a few contractions even though I wasn't feeling anything . Because I dilated to 5-6cm with DS at around 38wks without any real warning (and subsequently delivered him the following day), she wanted to make sure they weren't missing any type of early dilation this time. Turns out I'm also "fingertip", but my cervix is still thick so no effacing or anything to indicate I'll be going into labor anytime real soon. Even still, I don't believe I'll make it to my due date given my history and the fact that baby is already measuring a week ahead and I have some extra fluid to boot ;P. I guess only time will tell!

April 4th, 2013, 08:03 PM
May 2013 Cohost
http://pregnancy.about.com/cs/interv...aginalexam.htm

Here's a great article about cervical checks.
EverydayJoy likes this.
April 5th, 2013, 05:11 AM
MrsLisaT's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I haven't been checked yet and am not sure when my doctor will start doing that. In my birthing class, the instructor said that they are trying to limit the checks now because too frequent of checks can be unhealthy? Has anyone else been told this?
April 5th, 2013, 06:10 AM
May 2013 Cohost
Yes, that was part of why I opted out. It can push bacteria up into the uterus. I was GBS positive and didn't want to risk that! Talk to your dr if you don't want to do them - they really don't predict labor at all.
April 5th, 2013, 06:15 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I believe it can increase the chances of infection and breaking your water.

I'm 36 weeks and haven't been checked yet. I'm not sure when/if I will. The last 4 or 5, I've been dialated to a 4 before I actually go into labor because my "early" labor goes on for a week or so.

April 5th, 2013, 08:38 AM
ashj_1218's Avatar Hiya!
I was not dilated at all at 36+4 with my first, even though i was contracting and had my bloody show. I was about 25% effaced at that time. I gave birth less than 24 hours later.

I never got checked with my second, but was 3cm a couple hours after my water broke at 37+2.

I doubt I'll do checks this time either. I figure it prolly doesn't mean anything as to when I'll have baby (after the experience with Liam).
rheaimedved likes this.
April 5th, 2013, 09:55 AM
I don't know how I'd feel about cervical checks if I had the option to treat my pregnancy like a normal patient, lol. I'm fine with my doctor wanting to check me due to my PTL issues this time and last, and my pre term baby. Even that might not be enough for me to check, but the fact that I live so far from my hospital means that my doctor feels best keeping an eye on me, and wants to be able to stop my labor if I continue to progress this early. It's interesting how everyone's experiences make them make different choices! Kind of neat.

April 5th, 2013, 11:21 AM
May 2013 Cohost
Yes, preterm labor patients are a different ball game. I would imagine you do checks prior to 37 weeks and those are important. I'm referring to the checks that start at 37 weeks for normal pregnancies without complications...those really aren't necessary.
ambee likes this.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search