Apparantly I'm having a baby shower! Educate me please..

Forum: May 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree11Likes
  • 2 Post By SunnyBunnyMama
  • 1 Post By Purrrrrrr
  • 1 Post By EverydayJoy
  • 1 Post By Elly M.
  • 2 Post By rheaimedved
  • 2 Post By jcperez
  • 1 Post By mommaerin
  • 1 Post By SunnyBunnyMama

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To May 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 17th, 2013, 11:07 AM
Super Mommy
This is my second baby but my first baby shower. This is a foreign concept to me-- no baby showers in my culture. So you know how I moved to a new state? Well, finally (and regardless of my social awkwardness) I made a few mommy friends. They are planning to throw a baby shower this weekend. I think it's really nice of them, but I don't want to sound or look stupid. So, what are the expectations?
yvee80 and rheaimedved like this.
April 17th, 2013, 11:10 AM
Purrrrrrr's Avatar Semi-crunchy Mommy
For you to be smiley and gracious as they lavish you with presents. Sometimes they play games at baby showers and you get to be all excited and join in the fun. Yay! Exciting!
SunnyBunnyMama likes this.

My Boring Blog
April 17th, 2013, 11:18 AM
EverydayJoy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Yep pretty much you show up, you chitty chat with your friends and have snacks and some punch or something to drink, cupcakes or cake, and then you play a few little games that have baby themes. Then you open presents and visit some more. That's about it!

Little Bud: Blooming in Heaven 1.24.12
April 17th, 2013, 11:30 AM
Elly M.'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
That is so nice of them! I agree with the other gals Just show up, chat, eat, play games (if someone sets that up) and enjoy yourself! You will have a fantastic time

5/25/03 with us for 6 months
8/11/12 with us for 5 weeks

April 17th, 2013, 11:31 AM
Super Mommy
So I don't make food or take snack... Or anything else with me? 'thank you cards'?
April 17th, 2013, 11:47 AM
Mega Super Mommy
You can send some thank you cards after the fact, that would be really nice. But the general expectation of "showers" (bridal, baby, etc) is that you don't need to do anything other than show your pretty face. So, enjoy!

p.s. so happy to hear you're making friends!!!
Elly M. and SunnyBunnyMama like this.
April 17th, 2013, 12:08 PM
jcperez's Avatar 1 Busy Momma
My word of advise is when you are opening gifts, (hopefully someone will be helping you) write down what people got you and their names. This way when you write your "Thank You's" after the fact, you can personalize it with mentioning what that someone got you. Also, what the other ladies said, but Im sure we dont need to tell you...just say Thank You...Alot and let the girls who threw you a shower know you appreciate them.OH YEAH...one more thing, have your husband on call and ready to come by and help load up the car. Maybe offer to stay after and help the ladies clean up (depending where it is).
Most importantly...HAVE FUN and ENJOY!!!! Everything else will come naturally. : )
Elly M. and SunnyBunnyMama like this.

Mommy to Lorenzo, Marino and Remy
April 17th, 2013, 02:08 PM
Veteran
It's very fun. Just show up and have a good time. Sometimes you bring a little thank you gift for the hostess- like a cute picture frame or something. Nothing expensive usually less than $10. Besides that just show up and smile. Try to say something nice about the gifts like how cute they are or how much you will love using it. It will be wonderful! Have a great time momma!!!

April 17th, 2013, 02:27 PM
EverydayJoy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
It can be nice if a friend will keep a list of what gifts were given by whom at your shower, and then you make out thank you cards after it's over and send them out.

Edit--oops, I see Jessica already covered this

Little Bud: Blooming in Heaven 1.24.12

Last edited by EverydayJoy; April 17th, 2013 at 07:20 PM.
April 17th, 2013, 05:43 PM
Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by rheaimedved View Post

p.s. so happy to hear you're making friends!!!
I am too! Saved me from weeks of loneliness and depression. You'll be a mommy soon and you'll know/feel how important it is for you, your sanity and your baby to connect with others (gosh I was so anti-social and had no time for social life-- just like every other grad student lol)
rheaimedved likes this.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search