Birth control

Forum: May 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By EverydayJoy
  • 1 Post By Counting our Blessings
  • 1 Post By Themrs0523
  • 2 Post By SunnyBunnyMama

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To May 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 17th, 2013, 01:08 PM
Mega Super Mommy
So since I got pregnant out of the blue, I am determined not to have another baby anytime soon.

I really never used birth control, I was afraid of hormonal reactions and the possible pregnancy resulting in a miscarriage cause of BC use. I pretty much just avoided them. Being in the medical field I see all the good and bad reactions to things.
So when it came to sex it was either.... None at all or always use protection. One slip up and I have a little one coming in 3 weeks lol

So this time around I want birth control.

For those BTDT moms... Did you have to wait weeks or months before thinking of birth control?
Im really unaware of this... But from what I read and talked with my OB, its all up to me.

And I have no clue!
April 17th, 2013, 01:43 PM
EverydayJoy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
So how I know it to be is, if you're having sex, you need birth control or protection of some sort. Nursing your baby does give you some protection because it makes it less likely that you'll ovulate, but it's not a guarantee and it's not foolproof so you can still get pregnant, even if you don't have a period. Usually what will happen is you and your OB will talk birth control after your 6 week post partum checkup, and the 6 weeks is what they recommend you wait until having sex again (if you have a partner). Personally I have used the mini pill (progesterone only) in the past and been fine with it, it does mess up my period just a bit but it's easiest for me. I tried getting an IUD but didn't like it, because DH didn't like it---it kept on stabbing him with the strings no matter how I tried to reposition them.
To each their own though! I wish they made the strings out of string instead of metal--ouch!
rheaimedved likes this.

Little Bud: Blooming in Heaven 1.24.12
April 17th, 2013, 02:12 PM
Themrs0523's Avatar Super Mommy
I am going to talk this over with my midwife when I see her in 2 weeks. I am considering an IUD of some sort but I do not think I want the hormone based ones or the copper ones. I never had problems with Seasonique pills (3 month cycle) and from what I have heard, in the states with Obamacare, birth control should be free under most plans after October.
April 17th, 2013, 02:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Themrs0523 View Post
I am going to talk this over with my midwife when I see her in 2 weeks. I am considering an IUD of some sort but I do not think I want the hormone based ones or the copper ones. I never had problems with Seasonique pills (3 month cycle) and from what I have heard, in the states with Obamacare, birth control should be free under most plans after October.

Hey just be aware, if your Seasonique pills have estrogen in them, then they can mess with your milk production. If you plan to breastfeed, pick a pill with progesterone only.

April 17th, 2013, 02:39 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Thats what I am afraid of.. I dont plan on being sexually active after baby but I do want to get on something for prevention in the future...
I just dont want birth control to mess up my breast feeding
April 17th, 2013, 02:43 PM
Mega Super Mommy
We don't use birth control, no side effects and have a wonderful family

I know that is not for everyone, but I haven't used anything so have no advice.
rheaimedved likes this.

April 17th, 2013, 02:55 PM
Nasha, I used the progesterone only pill from 6 weeks on forward with Ethan, my firstborn, and I never had any problems with milk supply. In fact I had an abundant milk supply and my little guy was very healthy and had lots of fat rolls! lol. It's only the estrogen that can decrease your milk supply, so if you avoid pills with estrogen, then you're safe.

April 17th, 2013, 03:50 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Themrs0523 View Post
I am considering an IUD of some sort but I do not think I want the hormone based ones or the copper ones. .
Hm... I think you're pretty much out of options regarding an IUD, then

I've been off hormonal birth control for about 6 years... relying primarily on condoms and the withdrawal method (obviously I no longer trust this method ). I'm planning to get a copper IUD (Paraguard) once things settle down after the birth, and I reeeaaallly hope I'm one of the many women that has no problems with it (and my husband, too!).
April 17th, 2013, 04:22 PM
ashj_1218's Avatar Hiya!
We don't really know if this is our last kiddo. If we decide to at least wait a while before another one, or that we are pretty sure we are done, I will get the copper IUD (Paraguard). I had one before and was fine with it (so was DH). If we do want another and don't want to wait long, I'll prolly rely on LAM (which basically means ill monitor my fertile signs and partially rely on breastfeeding to avoid a pregnancy too close for comfort). I eventually would love to do just NFP, but I would want some "protected practice" before relying on that full-time.
April 17th, 2013, 05:25 PM
Themrs0523's Avatar Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by EverydayJoy View Post

Hey just be aware, if your Seasonique pills have estrogen in them, then they can mess with your milk production. If you plan to breastfeed, pick a pill with progesterone only.
Oh thank you! I didn't know this, I will check into that.
EverydayJoy likes this.
April 17th, 2013, 05:39 PM
Super Mommy
No more sex, lol. I won't be sexually active either as I'm leaving again in the fall with both kids. Won't be seeing DH as often (prolly once or twice a semester). Until then, I'll trust breastfeeding (didn't get pregnant while I was breastfeeding DD for almost a year).

But obviously that does not work for all women, so you should be careful and use something else.
rheaimedved and TeeCee like this.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search