Membrane sweeping

Forum: May 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree26Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To May 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 18th, 2013, 10:23 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Anyone ever had this done??

My doctor offered to sweep my membranes next week, since I'm about 2cm and 90% effaced. Just curious if anyone has any personal experience with it.

It's unlikely I'd have it done, if only because I KNOW it's better for the baby to stay in as long as possible... but it's difficult not to entertain the idea.
Skimboardin Mama likes this.

Last edited by rheaimedved; April 18th, 2013 at 10:29 AM.
April 18th, 2013, 10:31 AM
Purrrrrrr's Avatar Semi-crunchy Mommy
I didn't have it done last time 'cause I was GBS+, but I've heard mixed reviews. One friend had it done with both her babies and nothing happened and another had it done and went into labor that night.

It all depends on how ready your body is to go into labor as to whether or not it'll do anything. Mostly, the two ladies said it was just uncomfortable and they were a bit crampy afterward.

My Boring Blog
April 18th, 2013, 10:38 AM
mrsjl's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I had it done with both kids.

#1 was done at 41w2d, she was born 24 hours later

#2 was done at 39w5d, he was born 2 days later

#3 will be done on April 29th at 38 weeks
rheaimedved likes this.

April 18th, 2013, 10:46 AM
Mega Super Mommy
My doctor asked if I wanted this done at 39 weeks.

I am seriously thinking of giving it a shot.
rheaimedved likes this.
April 18th, 2013, 10:55 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeeCee View Post
My doctor asked if I wanted this done at 39 weeks.

I am seriously thinking of giving it a shot.
Yeah I can understand that. It's difficult NOT to seriously consider it.
April 18th, 2013, 11:01 AM
Mega Super Mommy
The worst that can happen is feeling crampy. But I feel that now so it wont hurt to give it a try.
And best thing that could happen, is we have our babies
April 18th, 2013, 11:03 AM
markswife's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I have my ultrasound tomorrow to see how big baby girl is and what the fluid levels look like and to put together a birth plan for her. I plan to ask about this and hopefully have it done if it's an option. I've heard that it hurts but don't have any personal experience with it. I was too chicken to ask last time.
rheaimedved likes this.
April 18th, 2013, 11:40 AM
Memi's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I had it done last time at my 39 week appt. It was painful and very aggressivr. What theyre doing is basically breaking those blood vessels that attach the bag of waters to your uterine wall. I went into labor 6 days later so I don't necessarily think it did anything for me. I wont be having that done again.
rheaimedved likes this.

Last edited by Memi; April 18th, 2013 at 11:43 AM.
April 18th, 2013, 11:48 AM
Liztastic's Avatar Super Mommy
I had it done with my 1st DD day before my EDD, lost my plug right after and had her the next day.

#2, never had it done as she was born at 38.5 weeks

#3 had it done at 38 weeks, was induced at 39 weeks, so it didn't work.

From my understanding it will work if your body is ready, I plan to have it done at my 38 week appointment as they are worried about babies size and are talking induction at 39 weeks again and I'd like to avoid induction at all costs.
rheaimedved and Mrsbowbin like this.

Mom to:
Madalynn Faith ~ 2001
Alala Love ~ 2004
Elle Rain ~ 2008
Tilly Moon ~ 2013
April 18th, 2013, 12:33 PM
MrsLisaT's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm also GBS+ so I don't have to decide if I want it done or not. I would probably opt out though unless I was past my due date. I think baby should come when baby is ready with no outside interferences, unless of course if there is a medical reason for it. (Just my personal opinion though I understand why many women want all the help they can get to get things moving at this point!)
kary4 and rheaimedved like this.
April 18th, 2013, 01:02 PM
May 2013 Cohost
I personally wouldn't do it. I would rather the baby come on it's own, like Lisa said.
Skimboardin Mama likes this.
April 18th, 2013, 01:55 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Lisa and Kary-- I totally understand that sentiment. It's the biggest "intervention" I would consider that isn't medically necessary. Still in the decision process... the faster this baby comes, the easier it'll be
April 18th, 2013, 02:02 PM
Veteran
At my last exam before DD1 was born, I am pretty sure my doctor did that without asking. Boy it hurt!!!! Never again
April 18th, 2013, 04:21 PM
pressedfairie's Avatar Super Mommy
I plan on getting this done this time around, maybe as early as 38 weeks. If I don't go into labor on my own by my EDD, I have to have a scheduled C-section, because of my GD, and I really, really, really want my VBAC.

I didn't have it done with DS, but I wish I had. I was 3-4 cm for almost 3 weeks and even had "bulging waters" the last week. I can't help but think that it might have prevented my C-section, only because he was so big by the time I went in for induction.

Thank you peimum for my awesome siggy!
April 18th, 2013, 04:47 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I had it done with my first around 40 wks I don't remember how much it hurt cause it was 6 yrs ago but It took me 7 days to go from 1cm to 10cm so I don't thinking done much good x

April 18th, 2013, 05:07 PM
Super Mommy
Never heard of it-- googling it right after I post this. But ouch, sounds painful! (coming from someone who's planning to do a NCB)
April 18th, 2013, 05:18 PM
EverydayJoy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I can't say I'd refuse it if I go past-due. But for now I'm not really interested (although it hasn't been offered yet either). Prior to being in the final 2.5 weeks before my due date, I was all for waiting till baby was ready to come--including if he went past due--but right now I just want to be done.
misty3281 and rheaimedved like this.

Little Bud: Blooming in Heaven 1.24.12
April 18th, 2013, 06:05 PM
Super Mommy
my midwife wanted to check me today and I said no. I actually told her I am not interested in knowing if I am dilating/effacing in the coming weeks either (I'm 36 wks). I guess I am the strange one who's not all that excited to speed up labor :\
rheaimedved and Mrsbowbin like this.
April 18th, 2013, 09:59 PM
Mega Super Mommy
This is interesting, and useful if you're hoping to avoid being inducted: "A meta-analysis of 22 randomized trials noted that membrane sweeping reduces the likelihood of induction." from this http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23009965
April 18th, 2013, 10:11 PM
Mega Super Mommy
And this study is promising: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19895357

"CONCLUSIONS:
Sweeping of membranes is a safe method to reduce the length of term in pregnancy and the incidence of prolonged gestation in a low-risk population. There is no evidence that sweeping the membranes increases the risk of maternal or neonatal adverse outcomes."
pressedfairie and EverydayJoy like this.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search