Evening Primrose Oil

Forum: May 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By Memi
  • 1 Post By LolaBadola
  • 1 Post By ambee
  • 1 Post By selenamdz
  • 1 Post By rheaimedved

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To May 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 18th, 2013, 01:23 PM
Brock's minion
I spoke to my Doc about using evening primrose oil as a vaginal insert to keep things moving along. He didn't think it was the way to go and mentioned that he had a patient that became dehydrated from the runs believed to be caused by EPRO. Looking things up has me more confused. Has anyone had any negative reactions to it?
http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/d...ural/1006.html

Michelle
April 18th, 2013, 02:44 PM
Memi's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
No. I took it for the last few weeks of pregnancy with my first and I've been taking it for at least 2-3 weeks so far this time. I have never had or heard of any negative side effects. I was told to take 1,000 mg towards the end of pregnancy and once you hit "full term" take 2,000 mg which is what I've just started doing yesterday. It's suppose to be great at prepping your curvix.
Mrsbowbin likes this.

April 18th, 2013, 04:19 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Me neither. I've done the same protocol as Memi and never had any negative effects. I'm starting to take it again this weekend until delivery.
April 19th, 2013, 02:24 PM
Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to LolaBadola
I just bought some. Do you ladies take it orally or as a suppository or both?

April 19th, 2013, 03:03 PM
Super Mommy
Just found this:

http://www.birthingnaturally.net/cn/.../primrose.html

April 19th, 2013, 03:17 PM
Mega Super Mommy
There isn't any research supporting EPO as effective, but seems to be generally accepted as well tolerated. Personally, I would likely give it a shot if I was concerned about cervical ripening.
April 19th, 2013, 03:56 PM
Mega Super Mommy
^^ That's why I began taking it. With my 3rd I didn't dilate at all before delivery and had to be induced at 42 weeks. I didn't want to do that again, and while I have no proof that the EPO did the trick, I was 5 cm before I had my 4th at 39+5, so I like to think it worked.

Lola, I have only ever taken it orally but I have heard it can be used as a suppository. I had good results just doing it orally so I'll stick with that!
April 19th, 2013, 03:57 PM
Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4 boys View Post
^^ That's why I began taking it. With my 3rd I didn't dilate at all before delivery and had to be induced at 42 weeks. I didn't want to do that again, and while I have no proof that the EPO did the trick, I was 5 cm before I had my 4th at 39+5, so I like to think it worked.

Lola, I have only ever taken it orally but I have heard it can be used as a suppository. I had good results just doing it orally so I'll stick with that!
Thanks! I was in the same boat as you last time and Pitocin is not something I ever want to experience again, so I'm willing to try anything!
EverydayJoy likes this.

April 19th, 2013, 03:59 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Yup, that induction was the worst labor I've had, so I was also willing to try anything to avoid it!!
April 19th, 2013, 04:02 PM
ambee's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I've only ever heard of castor oil causing dehydration and the runs. Maybe the doc misunderstood what you were asking about?
rheaimedved likes this.

*Thank you so much to Jaidynsmum for my beautiful siggy!*

Sophie Lucille: In my life for a moment, in my heart for a lifetime. May 25th, 2006 at 16 weeks.
April 19th, 2013, 04:16 PM
selenamdz's Avatar Veteran
I will be starting it this weekend,
never tried it before but have only heard good things! I think I will take it orally, and maybe one at night vaginally... although the thought of sticking a pill up there weirds me out a bit haha

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambee View Post
I've only ever heard of castor oil causing dehydration and the runs. Maybe the doc misunderstood what you were asking about?
I was thinking that as well...
EverydayJoy likes this.

April 19th, 2013, 04:41 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by selenamdz View Post
although the thought of sticking a pill up there weirds me out a bit haha

i was shoving progesterone pills up there for months. you get used to it

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambee View Post
yeah now that is DEFINITELY a thing.
EverydayJoy likes this.
April 19th, 2013, 07:16 PM
Memi's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Castor oil is a whole different thing. I've never heard of such side effects from EPO though. I know people use them as suppositories but I have only ever taken it orally. I'm considering trying to use it as a suppository for just one small dose/pill at night though.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search