Passed My Car Seat Tech Course!

Forum: May 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By crunchywannabe
  • 1 Post By EverydayJoy

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To May 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 18th, 2013, 03:04 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Yesterday and today I took the CRST training, and passed with 100%!!!! I'm a little sore from installing every kind of seat imaginable this morning! But I feel so comfortable and confident getting the job done, and I can't wait to start helping people in our community ensure their kids are safe in the car!

I am so proud of myself, A. for passing, but more importantly B. for doing so well given my constant state of "pregnancy brain"!

I'd love to answer any questions you have -Feel free to PM me if you want. (granted laws may be different than here in Canada, or place to place in Canada) But of course I'd suggest you go to a car seat clinic, or have it inspected, even if only to hear that you are doing everything right!
EverydayJoy and Mrsbowbin like this.

April 18th, 2013, 03:14 PM
Brock's minion
Great Job! Congrats on your accomplishment.

Michelle
April 18th, 2013, 04:52 PM
May 2013 Cohost
Congrats! Great skill to have!
April 18th, 2013, 05:08 PM
EverydayJoy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Awesome! I think that's great.
I do have a question, did they discuss use of those tools that rachet down the seat belt even tighter? I'm not using it now, but I have one and wondered if it would be smart to put it in. We did use it when our son was in the center seat because the seat belt was not retractable and it seemed loose. Here's a pic if it helps to identify what I'm talking about:

Little Bud: Blooming in Heaven 1.24.12
April 18th, 2013, 05:21 PM
Memi's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Thats great you should be so proud of yourself!

April 18th, 2013, 06:32 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I think the best thing I took away was that I am much more confident with the seats and installs now!

Joy, Is this something that stays attached to the straps? If so, it is an after market product (it didn't come with your seat) and therefore would not be recommended as it has not been crash tested. In the event of a crash it may come loose, and would be a projectile, causing serious potential harm. There are always options for getting your seat in tight. If using a seatbelt, sometimes the UAS system would work better. Or selecting a different location in your vehicle. (an outboard seat may actually be safer than the centre in the event you can't get a good solid fit in the middle)

Depending on your seatbelt type (does it pull all the way out and then 'grind' back in-you will hear a sound?) you should be able to get a nice tight fit by hand (even if that means finding a nice strong man to do the job ), if it doesn't 'grind' you can use a locking clip to lock the lap belt and shoulder strap together (1/2 inch from the latch plate)
they look like
If I'm mistaken and this is just a tool to get a tight fit, and then is removed from the vehicle, I wouldn't see any problem with it. So long as your seat is tight enough you should be ok!

April 18th, 2013, 06:40 PM
EverydayJoy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
No, it is something that stays on the straps. That's a good thought about the projectile scenario. Gotta think about these things! And yes, it's an after-market item. We aren't using it anymore, because now he is in a side-seat, and those retract back and lock in place when you pull on them, so I feel much more comfortable with that. Thanks for the tips!
crunchywannabe likes this.

Little Bud: Blooming in Heaven 1.24.12

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search