Breech??? HTH???

Forum: May 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree19Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To May 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 19th, 2013, 08:36 PM
markswife's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
So I went for my ultrasound to check the baby's size today and she is breech. How the heck did that happen????? I"m so bummed. We're going in Monday morning to try to get her to flip. If it doesn't work, I'll be having a c section on the 29th.
April 19th, 2013, 08:42 PM
EverydayJoy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Oh dang! I'm sorry to hear that. I hope she flips on her own!

Little Bud: Blooming in Heaven 1.24.12
April 19th, 2013, 08:45 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Yeah those suckers can get themselves in and out of position up until the last minute...

You're probably already doing this, but there's a lot of techniques on the internet that may help flip the baby..

http://pregnancy.about.com/od/breech...eechbabies.htm
April 19th, 2013, 08:48 PM
Mega Super Mommy
It is also fairly safe to deliver breech babies vaginally. Don't feel that you have no options if baby doesn't flip.

April 19th, 2013, 09:41 PM
Memi's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Oh geese, what a surprise. I hope she turns on her own in the next ten days!

April 19th, 2013, 10:17 PM
JandJC's Avatar #2 due in April!
I hope she flips for you!!!

April 19th, 2013, 11:04 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Skimboardin Mama Send a message via MSN to Skimboardin Mama Send a message via Yahoo to Skimboardin Mama
I delivered a breech baby. she flipped during labor and dr. Didn't even mention c-section and all went well. My doctor now says I got lucky because almost all docs would only do c-sec. Anyone know why they do this?
rheaimedved likes this.

Last edited by Skimboardin Mama; April 20th, 2013 at 03:15 AM.
April 19th, 2013, 11:10 PM
Themrs0523's Avatar Super Mommy
From what I have read and seen on documentaries, they no longer teach doctors how to deliver breech babies, they tell them to go directly to a c section. They are creating surgeons nowadays, instead of doctors prepared for all situations.
April 19th, 2013, 11:27 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Skimboardin Mama Send a message via MSN to Skimboardin Mama Send a message via Yahoo to Skimboardin Mama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Themrs0523 View Post
From what I have read and seen on documentaries, they no longer teach doctors how to deliver breech babies, they tell them to go directly to a c section. They are creating surgeons nowadays, instead of doctors prepared for all situations.
I heard about some documentaries.....do you know any titles? I heard some were on Netflix

April 19th, 2013, 11:44 PM
Themrs0523's Avatar Super Mommy
Yeah!

Pregnant in America
Business of Being Born
More Business of Being Born

I really enjoyed all of them
Skimboardin Mama likes this.
April 20th, 2013, 05:11 AM
May 2013 Cohost
A vaginal breech birth is extremely risky. I've read why, but can't remember all the specifics. It has to do with the fact that the head is the widest part. If the feet go first, the head has a higher chance of getting stuck at the cervix and causing it to swell, not allowing the baby to pass.
jcperez likes this.
April 20th, 2013, 05:18 AM
May 2013 Cohost
Here's some info about breech and a good explanation of the risks of vaginal delivery:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Breech_birth
April 20th, 2013, 06:17 AM
jcperez's Avatar 1 Busy Momma
Quote:
Originally Posted by kary4 View Post
A vaginal breech birth is extremely risky. I've read why, but can't remember all the specifics. It has to do with the fact that the head is the widest part. If the feet go first, the head has a higher chance of getting stuck at the cervix and causing it to swell, not allowing the baby to pass.
This is exactly what Ive been told and found as well. The head is the widest part of the baby and it helps to stretch out the birth canal for the rest of the body to pass. If the feet come first, the canal doesnt stretch as much and can cause the baby to suffercate or get stuck. This can be extremely dangerous for both mom and baby.

Quote:
Originally Posted by markswife View Post
So I went for my ultrasound to check the baby's size today and she is breech. How the heck did that happen????? I"m so bummed. We're going in Monday morning to try to get her to flip. If it doesn't work, I'll be having a c section on the 29th.
Im also going Monday to see if they can flip the baby. Good luck! If that doesnt work Im not sure when they will do the c section.

Mommy to Lorenzo, Marino and Remy
April 20th, 2013, 07:55 AM
Mega Super Mommy
It's not without it's risks, just like any form of 'normal' delivery (feel free to define normal ) but as I'm sure you know I could easily go find you equally persuasive articles about why it is safer to delivery breech vaginally than via section... It's not for everyone, but I was just pointing out that it is an option, and it can be done, and is done safely as well. Automatically performing major surgery when not absolutely medically necessary scares me personally. But obviously you can only do what makes you most comfortable...
Skimboardin Mama likes this.

April 20th, 2013, 08:15 AM
markswife's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I had an episiotomy, a vacuum assisted delivery and a fourth degree tear with DD so there is no freaking way I would ever try a breech vaginal delivery.

I'm stuck in between my fear of the recovery from a c section and the possibility of another fourth degree tear from delivering vaginally. Both terrify me. If baby girl stays breech, she decides for me. I would get the April 29th birthday I've been coveting and the doctor that delivered DD is the one that is on call that day. I know those are superficial reasons but as long as there is one valid reason, it's okay to be a little superficial, right?!?
Rhonda66 and rheaimedved like this.
April 20th, 2013, 08:26 AM
May 2013 Cohost
I don't know that vaginal breech delivery is an option - there aren't many doctors willing to do that in a hospital setting here.
April 20th, 2013, 09:10 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by markswife View Post
I had an episiotomy, a vacuum assisted delivery and a fourth degree tear with DD so there is no freaking way I would ever try a breech vaginal delivery.

I'm stuck in between my fear of the recovery from a c section and the possibility of another fourth degree tear from delivering vaginally. Both terrify me. If baby girl stays breech, she decides for me. I would get the April 29th birthday I've been coveting and the doctor that delivered DD is the one that is on call that day. I know those are superficial reasons but as long as there is one valid reason, it's okay to be a little superficial, right?!?
Absolutely! I don't blame you one little bit after your prior experience! Hopefully she turns on her own!

April 20th, 2013, 09:24 AM
pressedfairie's Avatar Super Mommy
Being high risk already, I would never attempt a breech vaginal delivery. As much as I want my VBAC, if I found out baby turned breech, I would go ahead and schedule the c-section. Because of the fact that so few doctors are skilled at delivering breech babies vaginally, the risk seems even higher to me than it would have been 20 years ago.
jcperez likes this.

Thank you peimum for my awesome siggy!
April 20th, 2013, 10:00 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Actually from what I found Vbac breech deliveries are not considered as safe. The info I was looking at was quite clear with a list of many exceptions, but was just stating that vaginal breech deliveries (without prior history of complications, or the presence of several other factors) are just as safe as csections. It's something to consider if you want to, and are able to... but obviously not something that is for everyone either by personal choice, access to the right kind of care, or because of medical history.
pressedfairie likes this.

April 20th, 2013, 10:45 AM
EverydayJoy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
From what it sounds like, a vaginal breech delivery should only be attempted if you have a doctor who knows what he's doing while going about it. On the wiki article anyway, it sounds like there are things the doc can do to help the head as it's coming out, and also care that has to be taken when holding the body to not hurt the spine. I think if I had a doc with no breech experience, I would opt for a C section.

Little Bud: Blooming in Heaven 1.24.12

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search