BTDT moms: Tummy time

Forum: May 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By Purrrrrrr

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To May 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 22nd, 2013, 05:16 PM
misty3281's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
When did you start tummy time and for how long? DH asked if I was doing this with Avery each day but I just don't think she stays awake long enough to get anything out of it yet.
April 22nd, 2013, 05:18 PM
EverydayJoy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I started it after DS was able to hold his head up for longer periods. I can't remember what age that was. But it seemed like maybe 3 months old? I don't think it's critical in the very beginning, more when they are becoming more inquisitive and taking notice of their surroundings more...don't quote me on that though, lol.

Little Bud: Blooming in Heaven 1.24.12
April 22nd, 2013, 05:27 PM
See I was thinking about waiting at least until she's awake more than an hour a day. My mom was here yesterday telling me to make sure I put her on her tummy so she doesn't get a flat head and webmd had an article mentioning the same thing. I'm just not comfortable doing it yet.
April 22nd, 2013, 05:34 PM
May 2013 Cohost
My pedi said to start tummy time at two weeks. I think we started with 5 min of tummy time a day, maybe twice a day, and eventually worked up to longer intervals when he was older. Check with your pedi for guidelines. You definitely want to start early to prevent flat head and to start strengthening her neck muscles. You should also change her position in the crib or bassinett periodically. Always keep her on her back, but put her head where her feet were every other week.

My son had torticollis (diagnosed at 2 months) and it was then I truly learned the importance of tummy time and alternating positions in the crib. We had a situation of a flat spot on one side of his head. I was told he may need a helmet ($2,000-$3,000 and not covered by insurance, mind you. Not to mention the emotional toll) Fortunately, with my vigilance of tummy time and positioning we were able to nip it in the bud. I am a huge advocate of tummy time now, given what we went through!

Last edited by kary4; April 22nd, 2013 at 05:39 PM.
April 22nd, 2013, 05:34 PM
Liztastic's Avatar Super Mommy
Right now you are probably holding her so much and feeding her all the time that I really wouldn't worry about her getting a flat head. I can't remember exactly when we started tummy time but I know it was when their necks were a bit stronger, maybe around 6 weeks.

Mom to:
Madalynn Faith ~ 2001
Alala Love ~ 2004
Elle Rain ~ 2008
Tilly Moon ~ 2013
April 22nd, 2013, 05:47 PM
Purrrrrrr's Avatar Semi-crunchy Mommy
I can't remember, but he hated every second of it until he was 4 or 5 months. The first time he didn't flip out was in the pediatrician's office and she asked if he was being lazy... he picked his head up and gave her the stink-eye.
EverydayJoy and misty3281 like this.

My Boring Blog
April 22nd, 2013, 05:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purrrrrrr View Post
I can't remember, but he hated every second of it until he was 4 or 5 months. The first time he didn't flip out was in the pediatrician's office and she asked if he was being lazy... he picked his head up and gave her the stink-eye.
That actually made me laugh out loud for real. Her first pedi appt is Friday so I'll talk to her as well and see what she suggests.
April 22nd, 2013, 05:54 PM
May 2013 Cohost
Yes, they don't like tummy time much but it is so important.
April 22nd, 2013, 06:42 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I usually do when they hold their head better and are interested in it. Maybe 2-3 months or so. I wouldn't worry about it yet. She's still so new and little and just a touch early, so I'd just enjoy the snuggles!

April 22nd, 2013, 07:28 PM
markswife's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I want to say it was around 4-6 weeks. I know I was still home on leave and I know she freaking hated it. She never learned to like tummy time. Cracks me up because she almost exclusively sleeps on her tummy now. Must be making up for all that tummy time she refused as an infant.
April 22nd, 2013, 07:34 PM
Memi's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I remember starting when DS was itty bitty by just laying him on his tummy over my theighs while I patted his back or laying him on his tummy over the Boppy while talking to him.

April 23rd, 2013, 11:40 AM
ashj_1218's Avatar Hiya!
At this age, tummy time can include laying on your belly/chest while you are laying down, being worn upright in a wrap/sling, and being placed on your knees while patted. All of those things help with muscle control and the prevention of flat heads. But really, as long as you are moving her in a variety of positions (aka: she isn't sitting in a carseat, swing, or crib 24-7), she is getting the necessary muscular work-out needed for right now. I think tummy time is something that most docs want to see happening by 6 weeks or so (when baby is more alert).

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search