Doc appt and Doc's take on natural birth

Forum: May 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree19Likes
  • 2 Post By Counting our Blessings
  • 3 Post By EverydayJoy
  • 4 Post By 4 boys
  • 1 Post By jcperez
  • 1 Post By Purrrrrrr
  • 4 Post By ashj_1218
  • 2 Post By Purrrrrrr
  • 2 Post By Skimboardin Mama

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To May 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 23rd, 2013, 10:28 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Skimboardin Mama Send a message via MSN to Skimboardin Mama Send a message via Yahoo to Skimboardin Mama
I went in today and was checked. I'm at 2-3 cm and 80% effaced. She said baby is head down at station negative 2. (which I don't remember what that means). She wanted to strip my membranes and I said no thanks.

When I began to ask questions about going with out the pitocin, the cytotec, and the epidural she answered all my questions, but the end result seemed that everything was based around "time". I got that sense by several of her statements but can't remember them all.

She said, "Well it's going to take longer." "If you don't have to be in pain, why would you?" She also said patients cannot have the epidural after they are 7cm. So she said if I wait that long and then change my mind, I'm on my own. She also mentioned that if the baby randomly gets "stuck" that my options would be vacuum or c-sectio but that we're expecting everything to go as smooth and "normal" as possible.

When I asked if I'd be able to walk through my contractions, she said, "No, it's painful and better not to be because if my membranes rupture, they want me in a bed...."

They asked me if I went over my due date last time and no but they induced me so I don't know how things really would be if I did them all on my own. I told her that I didn't know anything when I had my daughter and just let them do whatever to me because I thought it was protocol. And finding out they used cytotec, is flipping scary..... they just feel it's okay to put these things in women without explaining the risks.

Hmmph... any advice? Please please provide some positive support I could really use it.

April 23rd, 2013, 10:41 AM
Mega Super Mommy
hhmmm. I'll try and be helpful, but I'm just not sure what your asking I've had 9 natural births, without pain meds, all in a hospital. But with my 1st babe, the doctor used the vaccum, I don't even remember if he asked. I had been up for 24 hours in labor and was in a lot of pain, so don't remember much.

So if the babe gets "stuck" you can't get out of bed, walk, squat, whatever to help...youre stuck in bed? I would be leery. I'm just not sure what I can say to be helpful. If this is her stance, this is probably how she operates. Is it possible to check around for a new doctor? I know this late in the game is tough and scary but might be worth it.

Another option, that I've used is just go to the hospital when it's really "time", like time to push. But, you have to make sure you can/want to do a natural birth before you put yourself in that position. Did you have a natural birth with your DD? If so, than you know what it's like. If not, than I would be a little nervous for you to plan on not needing anything. I hope that makes sense.

As far as walking through contractions, does she expect you to just stay in bed? That is not a very good way for your body to labor, flat on your back. I've always walked, swayed, and it helps, especially after my water breaks.

I'm sorry you are faced with this now. I don't know if anything I said was helpful, but I honestly think your doctor is being unrealistic.
Purrrrrrr and crunchywannabe like this.

April 23rd, 2013, 10:51 AM
EverydayJoy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Um, I wouldn't be reassured by any of that. What does she mean you need to be in a bed if your water breaks? That's just so they have an easy clean-up, nothing more.
And hospitals have a general "rule" about how long labor is supposed to take, but so long as baby is in no distress, and you're doing fine, there isn't any reason they would need to speed things up except for their own convenience.
Is there any way you could last-minute switch doctors or hospitals? Maybe a birthing center would be more in line with what you're shooting for. Because once you're in labor, you kind of lose your ability to be able to advocate for yourself, so it really helps to have your DH and the hospital staff on board with how you generally want things to go.
Also if baby gets "stuck", an experienced midwife/OB would know how to help turn baby so he can come out on his own, rather than just reaching for the vacuum device or sending you in for a C.
Another thing--about the epidural. You might think about switching hospitals in that regard as well, because some hospitals will let you get one no matter where you are in the labor process. I wonder, maybe call the hospital's L&D ward and talk to a nurse there...maybe your OB was trying to scare you into doing things her way!
ashj_1218, Purrrrrrr and mommaerin like this.

Little Bud: Blooming in Heaven 1.24.12
April 23rd, 2013, 11:02 AM
Memi's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Your Dr sounds like the typical Dr these days-totally stuck in their ways and more concerned about their convenience than the patient's preferences. My biggest piece of advice is to get your DH and anyone else who will be in the room with you to be on the same page with what you want so they can fihht for you and be your advocate when you may not be able to. Also try to labor at home as long as possible. Lastly, remember despite what they say you have the right to refise and procedures you dont feel are medically necessary. This is your body, baby and experience!

April 23rd, 2013, 11:06 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I'm really surprised and disappointed by your doctor's attitudes... very discouraging and close-minded.

My strongest piece of advice is to try to find another OB to deliver with. I know it's scary so late in the game, but if you've had an uncomplicated pregnancy it won't be a problem for them to take you on. Theoretically, a DO will be more supportive of a natural birth, so if you have to just randomly pick, that's what I would do (in fact, that is exactly what I did do when choosing my OB). But recommendations are always better.

That said, it's definitely worth talking with the nurses at L&D because they might be more accommodating and reassuring. It's not like your doctor is going to be around yelling at you to stay in bed while laboring. It's also more motivation to stay and labor at home as long as possible.

I'm really sorry you're having this experience.
April 23rd, 2013, 11:11 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Skimboardin Mama Send a message via MSN to Skimboardin Mama Send a message via Yahoo to Skimboardin Mama
Thanks ladies. I haven't had a natural birth before, but I at least want to forego things that took place last time without being informed.

I don't like that I don't know when DD would have really been born (induced), I don't know how long my body would have really taken to labor, I don't know how the pain would have been minus the pitocin, cytotec, AROM, and epidural and I won't know these things unless I just let it happen and then make my decisions. It's ideal for me to go without the epidural but who knows if i'll be a hot mess.. I just want to be able to make these decisions for myself and baby without their influence.

She said once I checked in I have to be in the bed so I said well then can I just stay home until contractions pick up? She said that was fine. I thought we weren't supposed to go in until contractions were 3-5 minutes apart anyway....

She said they also "routinely" give pictocin after a woman's water breaks to speed things up... why????

What's a DO? I'm trying to search for a new doc but nothing comes up when I search doctors supportive of natural birth in my town

Last edited by Skimboardin Mama; April 23rd, 2013 at 11:15 AM.
April 23rd, 2013, 11:19 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skimboardin Mama View Post

She said they also "routinely" give pictocin after a woman's water breaks to speed things up... why????
I think you're supposed to have about 48 hours after the water breaks to be induced, and it's due to risk of infection.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skimboardin Mama View Post

What's a DO? I'm trying to search for a new doc but nothing comes up when I search doctors supportive of natural birth in my town
It's a Doctor of Osteopathic medicine. They'll have DO instead of MD after their name, although they have received exactly the same medical training (and actually more on top of that) and pass the same licensing exams. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doctor_...athic_Medicine

Additionally, contacting a Lamaze (or any kind of natural childbirth) instructor to get a recommendation might work.

Last edited by rheaimedved; April 23rd, 2013 at 11:23 AM.
April 23rd, 2013, 11:26 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Pack of lies. There is no reason why you need to remain in bed. Tell them you will do no such thing. Walking HELPS, it is NOT more painful. And there is every reason to believe that going natural will make the whole thing quicker. It's the interventions that slow things down typically!!!! There is also NO reason for them to give you pitocin just "because".

I am angry for you. That is such a load of crap. If you can't find a different doc, I would suggest staying home as long as you can (reasonably) when you are in labor. The later you arrive at the hospital, the less things they can do to you. Also, remember that you can refuse anything they offer. Don't feel like they can make you do anything!
April 23rd, 2013, 11:29 AM
May 2013 Cohost
Once the membranes rupture, they like to speed things up bc they are worried about infection. If your body does not go into active labor on its own and your membranes have already ruptured, you can count on pitocin. Hospitals nowadays (near me at least) make the patients stay in bed so they can be continuously monitored. It's all about so they can't be held liable or get sued in case a problem happened while you were off the monitor. It sucks and doesn't encourage natural labor.
April 23rd, 2013, 11:48 AM
markswife's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Can you visit the hospital and talk to one of the nurses? I went to the hospital thinking I was in labor two days before DD was born and we were there for a couple hours and only saw a nurse. We never saw my doctor at all. When I went back actually in labor, we only saw nurses from when we arrived at 1:30 AM until the doctor came in to break my water around 8:30 AM. then I didn't see my doctor again until around 3 PM when it was time to push. I thought the nurses were wonderful and I never felt pressured into accepting anything but still felt like they did their best to accomodate everything I requested.

I'm sorry your doctor didn't seem very supportive of your birth plan. The good part is you seem to clearly know what you want and don't want and you can advocate for yourself. I hope it all goes well when your time comes!
April 23rd, 2013, 11:59 AM
Themrs0523's Avatar Super Mommy
I hope it goes well too! I'm sorry you didn't get the support you deserve from your doctor... So frustrating!

I know some ladies on here that have had babies already have been given cytotec and haven't had any problems, which I am so thankful for but that is one of my BIG NO NOs. I have read the studies on it and it has a clear label on the outside of the package with cross through a pregnant woman, yet it is used everyday in our American hospitals.

Stick to your wishes and if possible, switch to a provider that is more on board with you!
April 23rd, 2013, 12:03 PM
jcperez's Avatar 1 Busy Momma
Sounds like this doctor has been doing this a while and wants things done HER way. She wants a quick and easy delivery for herself. Maybe she has a hot date that day and wants you to deliver her way and on her schedule? I cant believe she said all those things to you. I know when I was induced I wasnt allowed to walk after a certain point because they wanted to monitor the baby and me. The reason she probably doesnt want you to have an epidural after 7 cm is because it will slow down your progress?? I know it may not work, as in my case it didnt but I still wasnt forbiddin from getting one.
Purrrrrrr likes this.

Mommy to Lorenzo, Marino and Remy
April 23rd, 2013, 12:09 PM
Purrrrrrr's Avatar Semi-crunchy Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4 boys View Post
Pack of lies. There is no reason why you need to remain in bed. Tell them you will do no such thing. Walking HELPS, it is NOT more painful. And there is every reason to believe that going natural will make the whole thing quicker. It's the interventions that slow things down typically!!!! There is also NO reason for them to give you pitocin just "because".

I am angry for you. That is such a load of crap. If you can't find a different doc, I would suggest staying home as long as you can (reasonably) when you are in labor. The later you arrive at the hospital, the less things they can do to you. Also, remember that you can refuse anything they offer. Don't feel like they can make you do anything!
I totally agree with this 100%. I REALLY hope you can find another doctor, but if you're stuck with this woman, you need to put her in her place. She's there to catch the baby and help if things aren't going smoothly... otherwise, there's not reason for you to be stuck in bed, hooked up to pitocin, and letting her run your show.

It is YOUR show... I was amazed how little doctors really have to do when it comes to a normal birth. Don't let her put you on a time limit. Don't let her tell you that you have to be stuck in bed. They make those IV stands to roll for a reason! You can decline continuous fetal monitoring (which is not shown to be beneficial) and ask for a doppler reading every 30 minutes or so if they feel the need.

Whoever is going to be in the room with you has to be your advocate. Let them be the bad guy and say no to whatever you don't want to happen. If you can, whenever you go in, talk to your nurse about your birth plan and let her know what you want to happen.
Skimboardin Mama likes this.

My Boring Blog
April 23rd, 2013, 12:22 PM
ashj_1218's Avatar Hiya!
^^That. All of it!!

It is maddening that she basically fed you a bunch of lines to make YOUR labor go according to HER plans. There is NO reason for pitocin in a birth that is moving along on its own. None. It leads to even more interventions (IVs, monitoring, epis, blood pressure issues, nausea) than if you were left to labor without it. Heck, the walking she says you "can't" do can take the place of pitocin to keep labor going in the right direction.

Absolutely get yourself an advocate if this is the woman you are delivering with. Either a nurse as soon as you get to the hospital (really, the nurses are in charge of the labor and only call the docs in events of an unexpected nature), your husband, your mother, a doula...anyone who can make it clear what you do and don't want during labor.

And you are allowed to question any and everything they wish to do during labor. They want an IV med administered...ask what it is and why. They want to monitor, why? They recommend pitocin, why? If the answers don't satisfy you, don't agree. You don't have to, in the least. Taking charge of your own labor will always make for a happy mama in the end. Even though it might not go 100% according to plan...I find that mothers who feel they called the shots through it all are much more pleased with how things went. Good luck!
April 23rd, 2013, 12:55 PM
Purrrrrrr's Avatar Semi-crunchy Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashj_1218 View Post
^^That. All of it!!

It is maddening that she basically fed you a bunch of lines to make YOUR labor go according to HER plans. There is NO reason for pitocin in a birth that is moving along on its own. None. It leads to even more interventions (IVs, monitoring, epis, blood pressure issues, nausea) than if you were left to labor without it. Heck, the walking she says you "can't" do can take the place of pitocin to keep labor going in the right direction.

Absolutely get yourself an advocate if this is the woman you are delivering with. Either a nurse as soon as you get to the hospital (really, the nurses are in charge of the labor and only call the docs in events of an unexpected nature), your husband, your mother, a doula...anyone who can make it clear what you do and don't want during labor.

And you are allowed to question any and everything they wish to do during labor. They want an IV med administered...ask what it is and why. They want to monitor, why? They recommend pitocin, why? If the answers don't satisfy you, don't agree. You don't have to, in the least. Taking charge of your own labor will always make for a happy mama in the end. Even though it might not go 100% according to plan...I find that mothers who feel they called the shots through it all are much more pleased with how things went. Good luck!
Yes! It doesn't matter HOW you wanna give birth (whether you want to get an epidural or go natural, have a c-section, go out behind your house and birth in your backyard)... as long as you do it the way YOU want to do it, you will be pleased with how things go and you'll feel in control which is very important to having a successful birth.

One thing I discovered about being induced that totally took me by surprise was how swollen I got from the IV fluids, which have to be run if you're induced with cervadil or you get an epidural (I'm not sure if you have to have them with just pitocin), but that limited my mobility which hindered my ability to push effectively. So yeah... having those meds does lead to more interventions and not necessarily because of the medicines themselves, which that doctor should know.

I'm sure one of the reasons why she likes to just give pitocin all willy-nilly is because she doesn't let a laboring woman do what her body says she must to be able to deliver a baby on her own... sitting in bed can stall a labor... then she gets meds... then the baby doesn't move on down the birth canal and the doctor has to use the vacuum... Ugggggh...

I wonder how the nurses feel about this doctor. The last hospital I worked for actually removed a doctor's admission rights because they discovered he had a love-affair with the vacuum and got enough patient complaints about it to back it up. It got to the point where nurses were delivering patients to keep him out of the room so he wouldn't use the vacuum!

My Boring Blog
April 23rd, 2013, 02:59 PM
Platinum Supermommy
THANK YOU ALL SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO MUCH!

The only person who will be at the hospital will be DH and I told him he has to back me up and speak up for me. Even if I do end up with a c-sec, there's still things I want like bonding time asap and no formula given to the baby. I told him he's gotta do it for me. He's on my side now and it's great. I know he'll be a big help. I think he now understands the frustration because this is our birth and the doc should be supporting us. I'm going in with "birth wishes" because most things never go as "planned" and I'm going to make sure I'm in control just so at the end of it all, I'm happy with how things were.

While pregnant with DD, I made friends with the Lamaze instructor/RN/lactation consultant who retired from the hospital. She is also telling me to stay home as long as possible, advocate for myself, and that I don't need to be hooked up to the fetal monitors.

She even taught the course in their hospital and was trying to teach everyone the effects of the drugs and the benefits of natural birth. Why do they suggest we take this course and pay for it, when the doctors don't even support it?

Anyway, I don't think think changing doctors will be an option. I feel like a ticking time bomb and just want to focus on keeping my mind set. Today we did a lot of walking at DH's school to get stuff done for his graduation and I was just getting winded, sore, and at times had to stop or just walk super slow. I'm trying to keep him in now and plan on relaxing as much as possible. He'll come when he's supposed to

The nurses will be my biggest support and I'll try and stop in there to see them tomorrow if they allow that. Last time my old doc only came in 3-4 times for a few minutes with Kali... and now I get why she was born by 4pm... hmmm right before quitting time.

thanks again everyone for all your words, support, and time.
Purrrrrrr and rheaimedved like this.

April 23rd, 2013, 03:48 PM
May 2013 Cohost
You'll be fine, Mama!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search