Castor Oil

Forum: May 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree13Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To May 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 25th, 2013, 05:33 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I know this is a controversial topic and most of you ladies won't want to try it, but I just wanted to share my experience with castor oil. There are a lot of ladies saying they want to avoid induction, which is the reason I took it with my last baby. It worked awesome for me and I had my baby the next day. That said, here are a few things I would keep in mind if you are wanting to try it:

- make sure your body is good and ready before you take any. If you are dilated, having irregular contractions, or this is not your first baby, I believe it works way better. I wouldn't take it before my due date.

- don't take more than ONE TABLESPOON at first, to see how your body reacts to it. That's all I took and it worked like a charm. No nasty side effects or diarrhea at ALL. No wonder some women have horrible experiences after drinking 4 oz or something! Ew!

- it works awesome to shake up 1 tbsp in a cup of root beer. Put a loose lid over the top, give it a good shake, then quickly remove the lid before it foams over and chug it. Can't even taste the oil.

Generally it takes about 5-6 hours to work. I think there is a lot of misinformation about castor oil out there but I do believe it is a viable option as a last resort to avoid an induction and I would not hesitate to try it again. But your body has to be ready and drinking a whole bottle is a really bad idea, IMO.

Just wanted to share my experience.
April 25th, 2013, 06:16 AM
mrsjl's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
oh, good thread, Erin!

I took castor oil for my second baby. here are my tips/experience:

-I froze my tongue with an ice cube first, took the castor oil straight up, chased it with a mouthful of hot tea, and then rubbed my tongue clean with a wet facecloth.

-I did go to the bathroom more frequently, but it didn't make me feel sick or anything. I just stayed home with my daughter and we had a normal day. I made supper and put her to bed and thought the castor oil didn't work.

-I felt my first contraction around 9:30pm and my baby was born less than 4 hours later, however it was MUCH earlier in the day when I took the castor oil.

-I was 40 weeks exactly before I tried it.

April 25th, 2013, 06:19 AM
MrsLisaT's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Thanks for the info! I didn't know much about it before other than it sounded gross but I like the Root Beer idea. I don't think I'll be trying it this time around though I think I will probably just start walking more in a week or so in hopes to get things moving. I might also get some fresh pineapple. I love pineapple though so I like having an excuse to eat a lot. I have this crazy fear that I am going to go two weeks late and be induced. It's probably just FTM jitters.
April 25th, 2013, 06:37 AM
Purrrrrrr's Avatar Semi-crunchy Mommy
BLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEGH! LOL... I haven't heard anything bad about castor oil other than the horrible taste and possible diarrhea. I think, like with most natural induction techniques, if your body is ready, it'll work. If not, well... then you just had yourself a nice laxative, lol.

My Boring Blog
April 25th, 2013, 07:16 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Being a FTM I think my only option or best option is to just walk.
That will be my induction if anything.
The sad part is I am use to my vehicle. I live in a small community where I could walk to my grandmas or the local store. My whole back yard is a walking area but I rather drive. I even drive to the area I walk lol
Maybe I shouldn't do that these last two weeks.
April 25th, 2013, 08:11 AM
Memi's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Thanks for sharing your experiences ladies. I wouldnt be opposed to trying it to avoid an induction if I go past my EDD. However ive tried finding castor oil for other purposes in the past and havent had much luck. Which aisle is it usually located on in stores?

April 25th, 2013, 09:49 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I think it's with the laxatives and other GI type medications. I haven't looked in awhile but I would try there.
April 25th, 2013, 10:46 AM
pressedfairie's Avatar Super Mommy
I know someone who used castor oil with every baby, and it worked for her every time. She never had any bad side effects, either. I'm pretty sure she only used about a tablespoon, just like you said.

Thank you peimum for my awesome siggy!
April 25th, 2013, 11:11 AM
Tanya, how far along was she when she tried it for all of her babies? can you find out? I'm just wondering because I would like to go a little before my due date, but I don't want to attempt it if it isn't going to work because I did it too early. I did it on my due date last time and it worked, but if I can go even a week earlier that would be better because my son was 8 lbs 15 oz and I'm too scared to have a baby bigger than that lol

April 25th, 2013, 11:21 AM
pressedfairie's Avatar Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsjl View Post
Tanya, how far along was she when she tried it for all of her babies? can you find out? I'm just wondering because I would like to go a little before my due date, but I don't want to attempt it if it isn't going to work because I did it too early. I did it on my due date last time and it worked, but if I can go even a week earlier that would be better because my son was 8 lbs 15 oz and I'm too scared to have a baby bigger than that lol
I know she waited until her due date for her first, but I'm not sure if she tried it earlier or not with the others. (She has 4 kids.)

Thank you peimum for my awesome siggy!
April 25th, 2013, 12:28 PM
Veteran
I used it for 4 of my pregnancies and it worked every single time. I plan to use it again with this pregnancy.
April 25th, 2013, 12:31 PM
how far along were you with each baby?

April 25th, 2013, 01:35 PM
Veteran
I was 39 weeks with one and the others 40 weeks.
April 25th, 2013, 02:56 PM
Veteran
I've heard really positive things about using it. Most of my friends have had great experiences and say it is very effective. In fact, I know of midwives that "prescribe" it. However, I asked my Dr. about it and she told me that it is a laxative for you and baby. Apparently the baby can have their first bowl movement in the womb and then breath it in. She said it an lead to serious problems and even still birth. Anyone heard of this or was she just trying to freak me out?
jcperez likes this.

April 25th, 2013, 04:46 PM
Mega Super Mommy
^^ I have heard of that but I don't know how valid it is. Many midwives say that many overdue babies do the same thing in the womb anyway, and lots of overdue women try castor oil, so it could be just a coincidence. When I did it, my water broke and was clear. I can imagine it might affect the baby more if you take a LOT of castor oil. Maybe that is the issue? I'm not sure.
April 25th, 2013, 05:00 PM
Elly M.'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Definitely something to think about if I go over my 40 weeks thanks for the tips!

5/25/03 with us for 6 months
8/11/12 with us for 5 weeks

April 26th, 2013, 04:32 AM
yeah, about baby pooping, it can happen either way. there's no way to know for sure if it was the castor oil or if your baby would have pooped regardless. a tablespoon is probably NOT going to make your baby poop. my baby didn't.

May 2nd, 2013, 06:13 PM
Memi's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I was talking to DH about you ladies having success with castor oil this week. Wanted to bump to see if anyone has tried it yet for this pregnancy or if you.plan to? If so how far along were you, how muc h did you take, did it work and how long after taking it did you notice labor signs?

May 2nd, 2013, 06:20 PM
Veteran
I will start taking it tomorrow
May 2nd, 2013, 06:55 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I plan on doing it closer to my due date, maybe around the 20th or so. So it'll be awhile before I have any results to report.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search