Breast feeding Tips

Forum: May 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree37Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To May 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 1st, 2013, 09:26 AM
Sweet_Mama's Avatar Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by misty3281 View Post
Thought of something else. Just an FYI, but for up to a week or so after delivery you might feel what seems like contractions while bf'ing. I certainly did and when I asked about it I was told bf'ing helps the uterus contract back down to original size. They also say it gets worse with each pregnancy so just something to know when you're grabbing your stomach while feeding.

This is my third and the after birth pains were actually not that bad. I thought it would be worse but its about the as ny second pregnancy. I wonder if it is because he weighed the same as mu second son?
Skimboardin Mama likes this.

Kelsey Wife to Chris with 3 little gremlins and one on the way!!!
Jacob 08/09
Jesse 01/11
Johnny 04/13
Jaxon 07/14

"In MY world of PINK I am surrounded by BLUE!"

May 1st, 2013, 10:11 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Nasha-- don't stress too much! A lot of women don't have any problems breastfeeding, you just tend to hear about the ones who do. And if you find it challenging, there are tons of resources available.
May 1st, 2013, 10:24 AM
NewlyMrs's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Ah yes breastfeeding was a challenge at first but it's worth it to hang in there!

It's hard in the beginning when your milk isn't in and you are trying to get the baby to latch. I had awesome lactation consultants in the hospital and would have been a hot mess without them. I pumped a lot and syringe fed my colostrum to him until we got the hang of things.

The book "The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding" is awesome...go buy it!!

By week 2 I felt that he and I were really in sync. It comes very naturally now but it felt anything but natural in the beginning.

I know I mentioned this before but go buy nursing tank tops! They help make the transition to latch easier!
Skimboardin Mama likes this.

May 1st, 2013, 10:00 PM
Veteran
LLLI | The World of Latch On: One Leader's Journey

This is an awesome article about latching! I had some latch issues with DS, after I read this article it really clicked with me, it's a little wordy but I like how in depth it explains the best ways to get the nipple correctly in the baby's mouth.

I'm not sure how to say this correctly but my best advice is just decide that you're not going to quit. There are so many resources out there, (LLL, the LC at the hospital, local groups, books, Google, message boards, OB, and even lots of pediatricians) that if you have a problem come up they can help you through it. Exhaust those resources before you give up!

Also, sometimes, all the things they tell you not to do are okay. I nursed with a shield for 2 months and gave DS a pacifier. Neither effected our breastfeeding. Sometimes doing something "wrong" is right for your LO.
pressedfairie and rheaimedved like this.

May 1st, 2013, 11:32 PM
EverydayJoy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Agree with this! ^^
I swore I'd do the no pacifier thing with DS too, but he ended up getting one for the trip home from the hospital because he was wailing as we put him in his car seat. It didn't cause us any problems at all!

Little Bud: Blooming in Heaven 1.24.12
May 2nd, 2013, 01:43 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Skimboardin Mama Send a message via MSN to Skimboardin Mama Send a message via Yahoo to Skimboardin Mama
Everyone is giving such great advice. I love and agree with set out with the mindset that this is the only way and become friends or super familiar with a lactation consultant. For me, joining a free breastfeeding support group at my hospital was one of the best things I did. I got help from pros who give more than just advice, they give you shields/handpumps, creams, and other things FREE. I also made friends with mamas in the group and now our babies still play together. It's always been nice to be able to relate and vent to other women, in person or on the phone, about any concerns.

The birth pains are getting me right now. Try not to take any pain relievers that will cause or contribute to constipation because your first poop is the worst!!!!

As for mastitis, it feels tender or sore in one spot and may or may not be red. I got it bad once and within 2-3 hours it spiked me a fever, made me pale as a ghost, gave me sweats and made me almost pass out. I was crying from the pain and couldn't lift my arms. All I could do was cry and I went to urgent care and of course they aren't certified LCs so they just told me I was engorged. Wrong. It was a clogged duct and my LC recomended Lecithin to thin the milk.... http://kellymom.com/nutrition/vitamins/lecithin/

Also if your supply drops try fenugreek. Kelly mom's recommended dose is highly advised (4 pills 3 times a day, or 3 pills 4 times a day) Doesn't matter as long as you get the 12 in. You'll smell like a pancake (maple syrup) but you get results in 24 hours and can discontinue the pills in 48-72 hours. You can get it at a vitamin store. http://kellymom.com/?s=fenugreek

Also, some days you'll just sit allllllllllllll day and nurse.... That's okay! Ignore the chores and just let it happen... you'll feel guilty you didn't accomplish much, but your baby needs you and that time.

Always remember that line from Darius Rucker's song, "It won't be like this for long!"
pressedfairie and rheaimedved like this.

May 2nd, 2013, 01:43 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Skimboardin Mama Send a message via MSN to Skimboardin Mama Send a message via Yahoo to Skimboardin Mama
Double post..... grrr I swear I only clicked post once.

May 2nd, 2013, 07:33 AM
pressedfairie's Avatar Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by miss britt View Post
Also, sometimes, all the things they tell you not to do are okay. I nursed with a shield for 2 months and gave DS a pacifier. Neither effected our breastfeeding. Sometimes doing something "wrong" is right for your LO.
I totally agree with this. I had to use a nipple shield for a few weeks, and even though I said I wouldn't use pacifiers, it was the only thing I could use to keep DS from crying sometimes. Neither of these things affected our breastfeeding, either.
rheaimedved likes this.

Thank you peimum for my awesome siggy!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search