Breast feeding Tips

Forum: May 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree37Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To May 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 30th, 2013, 03:23 PM
misty3281's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Breast feeding is definitely not the easiest thing in the world, and as a FTM we have had some days where I thought I was a failure and just wanted to give up. Avery has cried, I have cried, but we stuck with it and 2 weeks later we're both getting the hang of it. With so many of us delivering now and May just around the corner I thought it might be good to post a tips and suggestion page for breast feeding so there's a go to place for help. Feel free to ask questions or offer tips/support from your own experiences.

The biggest thing I can offer at this point is just don't give up. There are times when Avery might eat 5 minutes, then there are times she eats 45 minutes. Realize both are normal. I've cried over her taking 45 minutes just to latch thinking she didn't like my milk or I was doing it wrong. That's normal too. Sometimes babies are just fussy and difficult but eventually they'll figure it out. As for sleeping during feedings, yes, all the time. I usually change her before we feed, let her eat one side then she'll nap for 10 minutes or so. Then I unwrap and wake her up again to go to the other side. Sometimes she wants it, sometimes she doesn't. I just think as long as she is gaining weight we're doing ok. Most areas will have a La Leche League that offers support and group meetings. I'll let Rhea post that info since she already has it, but they're definitely worth checking out for help. We are going to our first meeting with them Thursday morning. I'll post afterward how it goes.
April 30th, 2013, 03:36 PM
Liztastic's Avatar Super Mommy
Yes, don't give up!! It's so worth it in the long run health wise, emotionally, financially and even easier - you don't need to pack bottles or make them in the middle of the night. Just whip out that boob

Also for those FTM, it is normal to feel some pain. Your nips have to get used to the abuse of continuously being used. They are feeding for survival, not pleasure so keep that in mind. If they are bleeding or cracking you may want to seek advice/help but don't give up.

I've breastfeed for around 44 months between all 3 of my daughters and KNOW it can be tough, but it's SO worth it in the long run.

Mom to:
Madalynn Faith ~ 2001
Alala Love ~ 2004
Elle Rain ~ 2008
Tilly Moon ~ 2013
April 30th, 2013, 03:46 PM
pressedfairie's Avatar Super Mommy
I, too, had a very difficult time breastfeeding at first. I was actually glad that I had a longer hospital stay because I really needed the support of the lactation consultants. One of my nipples was flat, and I had a ton of latching issues. I ended up using a nipple shield on that side, but I only used it for a few weeks before I didn't need it anymore.

Also, I didn't expect it to take so long for my milk to come in (about 3 days). I guess I thought it would happen right away, but it doesn't. DS lost about 2 lbs after birth, but needless to say, he put all that weight back on within a week and a half after my milk came in.

In addition to these issues in the beginning, I had a major oversupply and had a clogged duct about every 2-3 weeks, which was very painful. Fortunately, I was able to take care of it before it developed into mastitis. And eventually, my supply leveled out (after 4-5 months).

I breastfed DS for over 2 years, but I can see how someone could get frustrated in the beginning and just give up. So the best advice I can offer has already been offered above. Just don't give up, and it will get easier.

ETA: DS also had acid reflux, so I cut most dairy out of my diet for a while, and that seemed to help. Keep in mind that what you eat might have an effect on baby. Some babies are just very sensitive to things their mama's eat.

Thank you peimum for my awesome siggy!

Last edited by pressedfairie; April 30th, 2013 at 03:49 PM.
April 30th, 2013, 04:35 PM
Mega Super Mommy
The most popular BF resources are La Leche League and Kelly Mom, links here:

LLLI | Home

The big thing LLL offers is local support groups and meetups for breastfeeding moms, but there's a lot more on their website.

http://kellymom.com/

What I LOVE about KM is how many breastfeeding myths are dispelled. There is a massive range of what's "normal" (and what isn't!) in the world of breastfeeding so it's important to be aware of what it is.

Also, if you're finding that it's a struggle to breastfeed, it's really worth it to pay for a lactation consultant. It'll pay for itself in all the formula you won't have to buy.

Just to reiterate what others have said, it's important not to give up if it's something you want to do. There's so much help and support available to moms, and it's likely to be frustrating at times, but the reality is that it's VERY unusual that breastfeeding just doesn't work; formula feeding is truly a last resort given all the resources available.
April 30th, 2013, 05:02 PM
EverydayJoy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
My biggest help was the Lanolin cream. I used it religiously for the first month with DS. After awhile I didn't need it anymore, but it did seem to help. Also Lansinoh makes a product called Soothies that is little gel pads shaped like a nursing pad, that you can put in the fridge and then apply to your sore nipples...ahh that was nice.

Some articles say that nursing shouldn't hurt if you're doing it right...but I can pretty much guarantee you it is going to hurt some, like Liz said. From what I understand, cracked/bleeding nipples are a sign that you need some help from a lactaction consultant. From my experience with DS, it hurt like heck the first couple of weeks, then got better and better and by a month into it was a lot improved. Eventually it didn't hurt at all. I wasn't expecting it to hurt so much so I kept asking the nurses at the hospital if he was latched wrong, but they kept telling me it was a perfect latch. And I would think, it sure doesn't feel perfect.

Something else that can help with sore/cracked nipples are breast shells, they are a plastic thingamabob that you wear in your bra that lets air circulate to your nipples, and holds the fabric away from your nipple, protecting them from rubbing in your clothing.

Change your nursing pads frequently if they are wet, keeping the skin dry will help keep it healthy.

Remember that anything you put on your nipples goes in baby's mouth, so be sure it's safe.

That's about all I got for now! Will update with more tips after I get back into nursing with Kody

Little Bud: Blooming in Heaven 1.24.12
April 30th, 2013, 05:02 PM
Ugh I hate it when it double-posts. Anyone know how to delete a post?

April 30th, 2013, 05:37 PM
Joy-Did you have any problems with DS not liking the lanolin cream? I was using it after every feeding and shower but DD kept spitting it out and fussing so I finally stopped using it and she doesn't spit it out near as often anymore. It helped while I was using it for sure, but apparently she just wants me to endure painful nips so she can eat cream free. lol
April 30th, 2013, 06:05 PM
pressedfairie's Avatar Super Mommy
Another trick for cracked nipples is to rub a little breast milk on them after each feeding. It worked for me, and I never had to use any creams - just the amazing healing power of breast milk!
Skimboardin Mama likes this.

Thank you peimum for my awesome siggy!
April 30th, 2013, 06:24 PM
Misty---I never had that problem, but I have read that some babies don't like how it tastes. Here's a different product you could try---I haven't tried it myself but it sounds like it has lots of good stuff in it.

Natural Nipple Butter - organic herbal natural nipple cream

I think that's a good point to bring up though---if babies don't seem to want to nurse, check what you're putting on your nipples, if anything! I'm sure they have their preferences on what they put in their mouth!

On a side note, you could always use the Lanolin and then wash it off prior to BF'ing, if you wanted to make use of it in the in-between times. I know when I was nursing DS though I sure didn't want to have to wash my BB's off every time he wanted to eat.

April 30th, 2013, 06:32 PM
May 2013 Cohost
Misty, I seem to remember my son had an issue with the lanolin as well..I just made sure to wipe it off right before before feeding.

This is a side note, but I had clogged ducts frequently. I was always able to clear them with heat from a heating pad or hot shower, and more rest...but it would take all day! Luckily they never turned into mastitis.
April 30th, 2013, 06:37 PM
What does a clogged duct feel like? I noticed what looked and felt like a knot in my left breast yesterday evening but after a while it was gone. It never hurt or anything. I wouldn't have noticed it if I wouldn't have happened to be changing clothes at that moment.
April 30th, 2013, 07:21 PM
ashj_1218's Avatar Hiya!
^^A clogged duct is generally rather sore feeling and a bit red around the area. It might ache or hurt more to nurse in that side. Generally painless knots aren't a problem.

Additionally, if you get a sudden fever, don't discount mastitis. You can get it deep in the breast and not feel sore. And...with both a clogged duct and mastitis...nurse, nurse, nurse. It's safe and helpful for mama.

Not all babies will have the same latch. This was tough for me, especially as a second-time mom. My first latched strongly and after I adjusted to the soreness and got past the usage factor, he was a pretty easy nursling. However, my second had a weak latch. He didnt hurt me nearly as much physically, but I had to hold my breast a certain way every single time I fed him in order for him to keep it in his mouth properly. It's just a difference between kids, so don't let it make you feel like you are failing or doing something wrong if your kids nurse differently or different from how someone says they should nurse. Both my boys latches were perfect and healthy, the LC made sure to stress that kids just have differing strengths of latches, just like they nurse for different amounts of time.

When your milk comes in, it might be painful. You might feel ill if you are particularly milk-endowed. It will lessen quickly and your body will adjust. Wear loose shirts, take warm showers, but don't pump unless its just to help baby latch. That will just tell your breasts to continue to produce that amount and not really allow your body to regulate to baby. Do "nurse ins" where you take baby to bed and let them nurse at will. It will keep you comfortable in the time it takes for your body to recognize baby's needs and adapt to them.
April 30th, 2013, 07:35 PM
Sweet_Mama's Avatar Super Mommy
I too had a moment of weakness. I cried n was upset cuz johnny is such a sleepy baby n falls asleep under a minute of breastfeeding but he is actually gaining weight he is getting enough. If u stress over it too much ur milk has a hard time letting down. I went to a wic clinic and got an electric breast pump so I would produce more when he needs to eat more and it worked. He is up to 8 minutes before he falls asleep now but stays latched and still eats while he is sleeping. Hope everyone is successful n when u wanna give up see a lactation consultant rather than a doc first!

Kelsey Wife to Chris with 3 little gremlins and one on the way!!!
Jacob 08/09
Jesse 01/11
Johnny 04/13
Jaxon 07/14

"In MY world of PINK I am surrounded by BLUE!"

April 30th, 2013, 07:46 PM
hangaroo81's Avatar Veteran
Thanks for creating this topic Misty. I've been struggling the day after Quinn's birth. I have an inverted nipple and so I was pretty much just giving her one breast and then pumping my breasts afterwards to get the inverted one to pop out. Luckily the lactation consultant at the hospital came by and showed me how to do it correctly but my regular breast already became cracked and bloody. I started applying lanolin and it helped but was still awfully painful.

On the second night of our hospital stay, Quinn was wailing uncontrollably and was like that pretty much all thru the night. I gave her my breasts but I just wasn't producing anything. It was a hard choice but I decided to supplement her with formula until my milk came in.

My boobs are slowly but surely producing milk now, but I'm still just pumping away until I can produce enough to give her in one sitting. I'm hoping that will be in the next couple of days. I'll slowly wean off the formula and give her my pumped milk but am having anxiety about breastfeeding again for fear of getting cracked nipples again. A good thing about pumping for days now is that it's fixed my inverted nipple problem!

Sorry for the long post, this has just been on my mind!
rheaimedved likes this.
April 30th, 2013, 08:32 PM
May 2013 Cohost
Hey misty,

A clogged duct is pretty obvious and painful. If you wouldn't have noticed it, it probably wasn't a clogged duct. Basically when you get a clogged duct your milk doesn't drain, so one of your breast stays swollen until it clears. It's extremely uncomfortable. if you experience one, you need to apply heat right away for an extended period of time and rest all day. Usually mine would clear by the evening. It's kind of scary thinking it will never drain as your breast just keeps getting fuller and fuller with milk - feels like it will burst! A clogged duct can lead to mastitis so you need to make sure to treat it right away.
April 30th, 2013, 08:46 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Hangaroo-- I'm so sorry you're having a hard time, I can't imagine how stressful that is. It sounds like you're pretty determined, so hang in there! It also might help to talk to different lactation consultant if one doesn't seem to be helping much.
April 30th, 2013, 11:02 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Awe misty you are a god sent for this topic

For some reason I was thinking that breastfeeding would just come natural. No fuss.

Ohhh I was wrong!!! Such great advice and experiences.
April 30th, 2013, 11:48 PM
usnwifey9's Avatar Veteran
I think this is a great idea! Thanks for initiating this thread, Misty .

I wasn't able to breastfeed DS due to latching issues, but I am hoping to give it another try once DD arrives. I can tell I'm already feeling the anxiety from my inexperience and the fear of not being able to bf again, though ;(. Granted I probably won't beat myself up as much as I did when I couldn't bf DS, the idea of not being able to experience the natural bonding that comes with bf-ing either of my children would be a bit heartbreaking to say the least .

I will def be keeping an eye on this thread for tips and suggestions!

May 1st, 2013, 04:48 AM
Thought of something else. Just an FYI, but for up to a week or so after delivery you might feel what seems like contractions while bf'ing. I certainly did and when I asked about it I was told bf'ing helps the uterus contract back down to original size. They also say it gets worse with each pregnancy so just something to know when you're grabbing your stomach while feeding.
May 1st, 2013, 08:19 AM
May 2013 Cohost
My milk didn't come in until day 5 last time! So don't give up too soon. We would put him at the breast, and then after that supplement with formula (1/2 - 1 oz). When my milk came in, we stopped supplementing and we were good to go.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search