Mastitis?

Forum: May 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree17Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To May 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 18th, 2013, 09:07 AM
Shufu_in_Shunan's Avatar Padawan Kim
They said it has improved a little, but it's still bad, so they gave me more medication to take. I have to go back in tomorrow for them to do another massage. This will be the 4th day in a row. I've also been massaging while pumping, but I can't bring myself to do it as hard as they do at the hospital.

May 18th, 2013, 10:38 AM
EverydayJoy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Wow...I think if someone tried to massage me while I had mastitis, I might accidentally punch them in the face!

Little Bud: Blooming in Heaven 1.24.12
May 18th, 2013, 10:40 AM
May 2013 Cohost
Is any milk flowing while you are pumping? Are you massaging with moist heat, like a hot wet washcloth? So sorry you are going through this.
May 18th, 2013, 12:25 PM
Kenzie's Avatar Photography Momma
Quote:
Originally Posted by EverydayJoy View Post
Wow...I think if someone tried to massage me while I had mastitis, I might accidentally punch them in the face!
I have to agree with this!
rheaimedved likes this.
May 18th, 2013, 01:38 PM
Quote:
Lol. I just lie there whimpering, trying not to cry, while the nurses say over and over "It hurts, doesn't it? I'm sorry!" It's hard to be upset with them when they're so nice. I do tend to squeeze the blankets or the pillow hard, though. And they do it for so long, like an hour! I can't wait to be done with this...I hope I never get it again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kary4 View Post
Is any milk flowing while you are pumping? Are you massaging with moist heat, like a hot wet washcloth? So sorry you are going through this.
Yeah, milk is still flowing well. I haven't been massaging with heat, other than when I'm in the shower. I know I should, I just keep not thinking about it.
rheaimedved likes this.

May 18th, 2013, 02:02 PM
May 2013 Cohost
That's good milk is flowing...keep up with the antibiotics too...it should clear up. And please use moist heat! You will get through this!
Shufu_in_Shunan likes this.
May 19th, 2013, 09:54 AM
How is your bleeding BTW? I know you mentioned it had increased since you had to walk so far. I've had mine kick up too this week with having so many appointments to go to for Kody. Did you let your doctors know you had a distance to walk to get there?

May 19th, 2013, 10:53 AM
May 2013 Cohost
I haven't gone anywhere recently and I'm seeing an increase in bleeding. Ugh, it's so annoying!
May 19th, 2013, 05:24 PM
Kary, I agree it's annoying! I had a couple golf-ball size clots that unnerved me, but the doctor said it's ok so long as I'm not dizzy or light headed...ugh.

May 19th, 2013, 05:59 PM
May 2013 Cohost
I'd be scared if I saw golf-ball size clots!
May 19th, 2013, 06:56 PM
Quote:
How is your bleeding BTW? I know you mentioned it had increased since you had to walk so far. I've had mine kick up too this week with having so many appointments to go to for Kody. Did you let your doctors know you had a distance to walk to get there?
The bleeding is still increased compared to what it was before, but not as bad as that first day out. I haven't seen an actual doctor at my last two appointments, only nurses. When they asked me to go in for a 4th day in a row, I asked them if it would be possible to just stay at the hospital, since I had to walk far to get to my bus stop, and let them know I had bled a lot. All they did was make a "sympathetic" face, like "Oh, that's too bad" and told me that if I were to have to come to the hospital 2 or 3 days in a row, that it might be possible to stay, but didn't sound like I could...even though one nurse offered to let me the very first night I went in for the mastitis. And at the end of my 4th appointment yesterday, they asked me to come in again today...for a 5th day in a row. I'm not going. I feel like I'm not doing my body any good by spending 4 hours of my day for these appointments for so many days in a row. I'm supposed to be getting rest, for crying out loud! We'll see if maybe the bleeding is better today when I just stay at home.

By the way, Kaeldra's first check-up was also yesterday. She has gained 9.6 ounces and they said that's really good, so I can stop giving her formula and stop pumping (hmm...not sure if stopping pumping is a good idea?), and breastfeed exclusively, but more often. They also observed me nursing and said her latch was very good.
rheaimedved likes this.

May 19th, 2013, 10:04 PM
May 2013 Cohost
That's great news about her weight! Is your mastitis improving? Hmmm...not sure about stopping the pumping...maybe just pump less but don't go cold turkey? Bc I could see that stopping cold turkey could lead to another clogged duct, which could lead to mastitis again. I would try to slowly stop pumping as much while simultaneously exclusively breastfeeding...
May 19th, 2013, 10:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kary4 View Post
That's great news about her weight! Is your mastitis improving? Hmmm...not sure about stopping the pumping...maybe just pump less but don't go cold turkey? Bc I could see that stopping cold turkey could lead to another clogged duct, which could lead to mastitis again. I would try to slowly stop pumping as much while simultaneously exclusively breastfeeding...
Yeah, that's kind of what I was thinking, too. The mastitis does seem to be improving. I think it's a lot better than it was in the beginning. I can tell it's still there, but I'll just continue taking the antibiotics and massaging (gently) at home, and hopefully it will clear up.

May 20th, 2013, 07:16 AM
Veteran
I don't know if anyone has mentioned this too you but if you "aim" LO's chin toward the clog when you latch her on it will help clear it out faster. You might have to get in a crazy position to do this, I had to lie on my bed and latch DS on upside down with his feet toward my head because my clog was right at the top of my breast. It sounds crazy but i guess their greatest suction is where their chin is pointing. I hope this clears up for you soon!

May 20th, 2013, 09:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by miss britt View Post
I don't know if anyone has mentioned this too you but if you "aim" LO's chin toward the clog when you latch her on it will help clear it out faster. You might have to get in a crazy position to do this, I had to lie on my bed and latch DS on upside down with his feet toward my head because my clog was right at the top of my breast. It sounds crazy but i guess their greatest suction is where their chin is pointing. I hope this clears up for you soon!
I had not been told that, but I suppose that makes sense. My clog is mostly at the top right hand side of my breast, so I'll have to figure out a contortionist position if I do that lol.

After just staying at home yesterday, my bleeding was almost non-existent, so I know the walking is what was causing my bleeding. Today is my last day of antibiotics...it'll be my 6th day on them. Don't most doctors give people at least 10 days' worth of antibiotics? I would hate for this to come back. It seems mostly cleared up now, but I think there's still a little clog left.
rheaimedved likes this.

May 20th, 2013, 10:24 PM
May 2013 Cohost
Yeah, antibiotics are usually 10-14 days...keep doing hot showers and moist heat on that clog. Also, get baby's chin pointing toward it!
Shufu_in_Shunan likes this.
May 21st, 2013, 11:42 AM
Mega Super Mommy
you'll just have to trust the japanese know what they're doing with antibiotics glad to hear the situation is (albeit slowly) improving!!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search