Mastitis?

Forum: May 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree17Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To May 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 16th, 2013, 04:15 AM
Shufu_in_Shunan's Avatar Padawan Kim
I have just been having such a difficult time with breastfeeding. While I was in the hospital, they had me on a routine. Every three hours, I would nurse for 5 minutes on each side, pump both sides for 10 minutes, and every 6 hours would also give 40 ml of formula eventually, since my milk supply wasn't enough yet. I would do this down in the nursery, so I was being watched by nurses...I don't know if they were lactation consultants or not, but I assume at least some of them were. They also had me start using nipple shields. I was instructed to keep up this schedule at home, and to come back in for a check-up on the 19th, which is in 3 days.

My left nipple has been cracked since around day 2, I think, and my right breast started getting really sore, red, and hard either yesterday or the day before (my days are all mixing together in my head), but the nipple on that side is fine. I felt dizzy and nauseated and achy yesterday, but I thought it was because I haven't been getting much sleep and I wasn't eating very well that day. I had no fever yesterday, but it has been crawling up tonight. It's at 102.2 F right now. I'm so stressed out over this...my husband's boss told me to go to the hospital if I have a fever and breast pain. I think she's picking me up to take me in a little while. While I was at the hospital, some of the nurses gave me a "breast massage" twice, to try to help my milk come in. By "massage," I mean they shook my boobs super hard and squeezed my nipples and it was extremely painful. I'm almost sure they'll do it to me again tonight, and it's going to hurt even more now that my actual breast is in pain. Sorry for the rant.

May 16th, 2013, 05:12 AM
ashj_1218's Avatar Hiya!
Yep, sounds like mastitis. They should give you antibiotics to clear it out. Some women get it more than others...breast size, internal structure, and milk production are all factors. I generally get it 3-4 times with each child.

I am hoping they don't "shake" your breasts, as that is not going to help. Massaging can help a plugged duct at the first sign of pain. If you massage the area while pumping, you can sometimes work out the clog before it infects. A hot shower while massaging the area can help too. But once you are at the fever point, there often is nothing you can do but take some meds to clear it.

So sorry. It's not fun. But keep at it. You are doing great!
May 16th, 2013, 05:37 AM
jcperez's Avatar 1 Busy Momma
OUCH!!! I had this with my first and second sons. Breastfeeding is so hard! Make sure you have baby ltch on properly. tis an be causeing the cracked nipples. So far this baby I dont have a problem with cracked nippls or infections but I do have other problems. I went to bring baby for a check up and the dr. says he still has some jaundice and wants me to give formula for 1 day. Baby did nothing but gag and spit up on the formula when I was able to get him to drink it. This was yesterday. He only had 1 poopy diaper the whole day. Im afraid he isnt getting enugh milk. I tried giving him my pumped milk and he really didnt drink that either. Now it has me wondering if he is even drinking enough to begin with?? Sometimes I want to throw in the towel with this breatfeeding but I know this is what i really so Im going to try and stick with it. I hope you feel better. I know how painfully that infection can be. It will get better though.

Mommy to Lorenzo, Marino and Remy
May 16th, 2013, 06:16 AM
markswife's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
It may be too late if you have a fever but in the future if you get a clogged duct lay your baby on his/her back. Get on all fours and then have the baby nurse on the affected side. It has to look absolutely insane but it has cleared the clog right up for me several times. Apparently a little gravity helps out.

Hope they are able to get you some relief without shaking you too much. Breast feeding can be painful at first but it shouldn't be long term.
May 16th, 2013, 06:49 AM
Thanks, everyone. I saw the doctor and it turns out I do have mastitis. They didn't shake me this time, only massaged, thank goodness. Still hurt a lot, though. They gave me a fever reducer, antibiotics, and some kind of Chinese powder medicine to mix into water. I'm supposed to go back in tomorrow morning. They said it should clear up in 3 days. I hope so!
jcperez and rheaimedved like this.

May 16th, 2013, 07:25 AM
May 2013 Cohost
Ouch. I'm sorry to hear you have mastits. It's probably due to an improper latch. Can anyone observe and help you to see if Kaeldra's latch is correct?
Skimboardin Mama likes this.
May 16th, 2013, 07:43 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kary4 View Post
Ouch. I'm sorry to hear you have mastits. It's probably due to an improper latch. Can anyone observe and help you to see if Kaeldra's latch is correct?
I was having latching problems in the beginning and was observed during my whole hospital stay. I think that's why they told me to start using the nipple shields. I think the latch is getting better, but I'm not sure if it's totally right. :/

May 16th, 2013, 10:21 AM
May 2013 Cohost
The trick is to get them to open their mouth wide, and when it's wide you have to shove your breast into their mouth quickly. It is tricky and I only got it when the lactation comsultant helped me. Their bottom lip should be lower than your nipple and be on the lower part of your areola. Remember - nipple plus areola!

You can pump through mastitis and give your nipples a break if it's too painful to nurse. But definitely pump at the scheduled feeding time to keep your supply up and help clear the mastitis. Also, use moist heat on your breasts all day and rest as much as you can. Just lying down even if you can't sleep. I used warm wet washcloths that hubby changed out for me. You can also shower or use a heating pad. Also, after pumping or feeding, slather on the lanolin cream. It really works quickly to heal cracks. You might just need to wipe it off right before feeding, bc it makes your nipple slippery and harder to latch on for baby. Also, something called soothies may help your nipples...you freeze them and use them on your nipples.

Keep us posted!

Last edited by kary4; May 16th, 2013 at 10:24 AM.
May 16th, 2013, 12:42 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Good advice ladies! Hope you are feeling better soon. Hang in there, I promise it does get easier!

May 16th, 2013, 09:26 PM
EverydayJoy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I'm sorry you are having trouble. I hope it clears up real soon for you!!
I sympathize with the latching issues. This is my second go around at nursing, and it still hurts like heck when Kody latches on. I agree that maybe pumping and bottle feeding your milk might give your poor nipples a break.
My mom bought me something called Second Skin burn patches. They're for burn victims but also feel wonderful on sore nipples. I am wearing them 24/7 and it seems to help. At least my nipples haven't gotten any worse.

Little Bud: Blooming in Heaven 1.24.12

Last edited by EverydayJoy; May 16th, 2013 at 09:30 PM.
May 16th, 2013, 09:36 PM
May 2013 Cohost
My left nipple still hurts when nursing, and I'm two weeks in...I don't know if it's her latch or I just have a painful let down. It's annoying. So far no clogs or mastitis, but I am keeping a close watch on it.
May 17th, 2013, 12:21 AM
It appears that the fever reducer they gave me worked, but at my appointment today they were concerned that nothing else has improved. I have to go in again tomorrow...and I also have a regular check-up the next day. :| They said my case is severe and if it hasn't improved at all by tomorrow, they're going to admit me. :/ Blah! I just want this to be over with! On top of that, I had to walk quite a long way today to get to the hospital, and I had bled quite a lot by the time I got back home. I don't think they know I have to walk that far. They offered to let me stay the night when I went in last night to get some rest, but I couldn't because my husband was watching the baby at home. If I'm not admitted tomorrow, I think I'll ask to stay, anyway, so I don't have to walk that far 3 days in a row.

May 17th, 2013, 06:08 AM
May 2013 Cohost
Nothing wrong with a break, sweetie...your husband could feed Kaeldra with a bottle while you get some much deserved rest and heal. I'm sorry you're having a tough time.

Do you have a breast pump at home?
May 17th, 2013, 06:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kary4 View Post
Nothing wrong with a break, sweetie...your husband could feed Kaeldra with a bottle while you get some much deserved rest and heal. I'm sorry you're having a tough time.

Do you have a breast pump at home?
I do have a breast pump at home. I noticed tonight, though, that even after feeding her plenty of pumped milk, she still wanted to be breastfed. She's like a bottemless pit tonight. I'm supposed to rest, but I just can't seem to get any sleep.

May 17th, 2013, 07:58 AM
May 2013 Cohost
We had a couple of days like that too. It's a growth spurt. They just can't seem to get full. It should go back to normal in a few days. Can she take a bottle of pumped milk? Try it, give yourself a break. I've already given Lexi the bottle twice when I couldn't take another breastfeeding session back to back. Offer the bottle after she breastfeeds to top her off. Your husband can do that while you catch a small break.

You're doing awesome!
May 17th, 2013, 08:42 AM
May 2013 Cohost
I also don't even have a pump yet so I actually used formula.
May 17th, 2013, 10:44 AM
Mega Super Mommy
This whole experience just sounds awful in every way. I'm so sorry you're dealing with it; I wish I had some advice for you, but I hope you feel better quickly.
May 17th, 2013, 03:12 PM
Thanks, ladies. My husband took Kaeldra for me last night when I started having a mini breakdown and I was actually able to sleep some. I can't tell if anything is better with the mastitis, but breastfeeding seems less painful, so that's a good sign. From what I understand, abscesses from mastitis are fairly rare, but I'm getting more and more paranoid the longer this is taking to get better. :/

May 17th, 2013, 03:34 PM
May 2013 Cohost
Good! Let him handle her while you rest...you'd be surprised how flexible infants can be going from bottle to breast...don't be afraid to use a bottle every now and then.
May 18th, 2013, 06:32 AM
May 2013 Cohost
How's it going? any improvement?

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search