Lack of sleep!

Forum: May 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree11Likes
  • 2 Post By Shufu_in_Shunan
  • 2 Post By kurly
  • 1 Post By Memi
  • 2 Post By kary4
  • 1 Post By Mrsbowbin
  • 1 Post By EverydayJoy
  • 1 Post By kary4
  • 1 Post By Purrrrrrr

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To May 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 21st, 2013, 11:38 AM
jcperez's Avatar 1 Busy Momma
so, my little angel is up ALL night long wanting to nurse what seems to be every hour. he is 3 weeks old today. during the day he will sleep 2 hours before waking for a feeding. Does anyone know how i can get him to sleep better at night? i am almost tempted to give him a bottle of formula at night.

Mommy to Lorenzo, Marino and Remy
May 21st, 2013, 01:15 PM
NewlyMrs's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Ugh sorry. So hard to function on no sleep! Often I pump before the last feeding and give him a bottle so I can tell how much he gets. Sometimes it helps and sometimes it doesn't. I can't wait to get a full nights sleep again.

May 21st, 2013, 01:35 PM
Shufu_in_Shunan's Avatar Padawan Kim
I don't have any advice on how to get him to sleep longer, but I've been dealing with sort of the same thing the past couple of nights...she'll want to nurse pretty much every hour from about 7 p.m. until 2 a.m. My baby is only 2 weeks old, but as I was Googling about this, I read in several places that there is a growth spurt around 3 weeks, so maybe that's what your baby is going through?
Purrrrrrr and jcperez like this.

May 21st, 2013, 01:59 PM
Brock's minion
Growth spurt, day night confusion??

Michelle
May 21st, 2013, 02:28 PM
Super Mommy
I formula feed, but Wyatt went through the same thing. For the first 3 weeks he would wake up every hour day AND night to eat. I was going insane and crying all the time from exhaustion. Like 2 days before he turned 4 weeks we changed his formula to the thicker added rice formula ( he also needed it for reflux purposes) but it has helped him to sleep longer. I now get 2 to 3 hours between feedings...PRAISE THE LORD!!!!!!! Yesterday i upped him to 3.5 ounce s of formula per feeding and last night I got a 3 and a half hour stint. So I think for us he was just hungry and needed the thicker formula that would keep him fuller longer. That and time for his tummy to get a little bigger to be able to hold more.

I'm so sorry...I know EXACTLY how exhausted you are....NO FUN!
EverydayJoy and jcperez like this.
May 21st, 2013, 03:21 PM
Memi's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Have you tried swaddeling him super tight at night? Thats the only way I could get my first to sleep at night. Id try the swaddle blankets and then nurse baby before laying them down for bed.
jcperez likes this.

May 21st, 2013, 04:12 PM
May 2013 Cohost
I feel your pain. Lexi sometimes feeds every 30-45 minutes. I feed her, put her down, and she literally wants right back on the breast. It's maddening. I try to remind myself its a growth spurt, but seriously, a growth spurt every day?! Often times she does this between 10 pm and 2 am. I have actually topped her off with formula bc I'm so frustrated and my nipples/boobs are sore and I'm tired. But she only ever drinks about 1/2 oz formula, so it ends up being a waste.
jcperez and rheaimedved like this.
May 21st, 2013, 06:15 PM
Shufu_in_Shunan's Avatar Padawan Kim
Quote:
Originally Posted by kary4 View Post
I feel your pain. Lexi sometimes feeds every 30-45 minutes. I feed her, put her down, and she literally wants right back on the breast. It's maddening. I try to remind myself its a growth spurt, but seriously, a growth spurt every day?! Often times she does this between 10 pm and 2 am. I have actually topped her off with formula bc I'm so frustrated and my nipples/boobs are sore and I'm tired. But she only ever drinks about 1/2 oz formula, so it ends up being a waste.
That's what's happening with Kaeldra at night! If she's not nursing, she's crying. She seems to settle down after 2 or 3 a.m., so last night I took an early nap, then put in a movie and counted on staying up at least that late. I've even tried giving her formula, but she still wants more.

May 22nd, 2013, 09:04 AM
SO glad Im not the only one. Sometimes I feel as if Im doing it all wrong. I did try 3 different formulas. He seems to gag on all of them. I tried Similac, Enfamil, and Gentlease Enfamil. It does seem maddening. He will start this at about 10 pm until about 4 am.

May 22nd, 2013, 09:14 AM
Brock's minion
I'm using similac for Brock, he's 3 weeks and taking four oz. every 3-4 hours. He eats like a horse ( IMO) had him at 3 oz but he kept rooting after 1.5 hours so pedi said we should up it. He is getting into a sleep schedule now, 4 hours, then two stretches between 3-4 hours. The first few weeks were so hard, no sleep, crying baby and it seemed as soon as he went down he was back up. I'm just now starting to be able to sleep when he does at night. Before I was just sitting and crying and waiting for him to wake up in a few minutes. Good luck I hope you guys figure it out together quick so you both get some good rest.
jcperez likes this.

Michelle
May 22nd, 2013, 09:59 AM
EverydayJoy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
In the same boat here as well. I was feeling pretty ok on Kody sleeping 1.5 hours and waking to eat all night long, because I could at least go back to sleep. During the day he sleeps 3 hour stretches. Well then he decided to throw that out the window and just fuss all day and night, and not be consoled by feeding him or anything else. Now I'm just sleep deprived and frustrated. I think maybe I have an overactive letdown reflex, and I'm going to try pumping the top off before I nurse him.
jcperez likes this.

Little Bud: Blooming in Heaven 1.24.12
May 22nd, 2013, 11:06 AM
May 2013 Cohost
I definitely have the over active letdown thing..she can't handle my flow...poor thing looks frightened...she's gulping and then her latch becomes more shallow as she tries to slow the flow...then she has terrible belly pain after the feeding, probably due to all the air she takes in during feeding. She's constantly arching and grunting after feeding.

Joy, the over active letdown will settle down after 12 weeks apparently...if you pump before you nurse, it will just tell your body to make more milk and it won't solve the problem long term.
jcperez likes this.
May 22nd, 2013, 01:18 PM
Purrrrrrr's Avatar Semi-crunchy Mommy
i keep telling myself... 7 more weeks and he'll be good... that's when Gabe got himself on a nursing "schedule."
jcperez likes this.

My Boring Blog
May 22nd, 2013, 02:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by EverydayJoy View Post
In the same boat here as well. I was feeling pretty ok on Kody sleeping 1.5 hours and waking to eat all night long, because I could at least go back to sleep. During the day he sleeps 3 hour stretches. Well then he decided to throw that out the window and just fuss all day and night, and not be consoled by feeding him or anything else. Now I'm just sleep deprived and frustrated. I think maybe I have an overactive letdown reflex, and I'm going to try pumping the top off before I nurse him.
Never heard of overactive let down? Makes sense. Maybe that is happening to me as well. Remy will often start choking and swallowing fast. It seems as if he cant keep up. During the day around 3 pm. he begins to cluster feed again what seems every hour. Formula just seems so much more easier and convienent. I am trying to tough it out though because I know this is what I really want. Im sure if I had him on formula though he would be sleeping alot longer during the night. Its just so frustrating.

May 22nd, 2013, 02:44 PM
EverydayJoy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by kary4 View Post
I definitely have the over active letdown thing..she can't handle my flow...poor thing looks frightened...she's gulping and then her latch becomes more shallow as she tries to slow the flow...then she has terrible belly pain after the feeding, probably due to all the air she takes in during feeding. She's constantly arching and grunting after feeding.

Joy, the over active letdown will settle down after 12 weeks apparently...if you pump before you nurse, it will just tell your body to make more milk and it won't solve the problem long term.

Kary---ain't no way I can handle this for another 11 weeks. I am thinking of pumping and just bottle feeding my milk. I am going quietly (or not so quietly) crazy without enough sleep. Plus he just fusses non stop. I just spent 2 hours trying to comfort him before he finally fell asleep out of exhaustion. I'm thinking the overactive letdown is for sure the problem though, because he will gulp and swallow air, get on and off the boob over and over, and cough and sputter during letdown. I think pumping and bottle feeding will be my best bet here. Guess I need to buy more bottles.

Little Bud: Blooming in Heaven 1.24.12
May 22nd, 2013, 03:53 PM
May 2013 Cohost
Yeah, I'm considering the bottle as well for a more even flow...she's just in so much pain after every feeding and it's due to all her air intake. We'll be at 3 weeks this Thursday...I want to at least go to 6 weeks before I make my decision. She also doesn't go to sleep until anywhere from 10 pm to 2 am...evenings are tough.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search