BFing mamas

Forum: May 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To May 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 22nd, 2013, 04:44 PM
Platinum Supermommy
do you feed your LO off both breasts at each feed?

Lilah is 2 days old today, I'm sooo engorged, but she will only take one breast, and she doesn't even empty that one. Sometimes, if she's gone a longer stretch like 4 hrs, she'll do one breast (no idea if she empties it), I'll change her and she'll look around for 20 min or so, then she'll take part of the other, but definitely not the whole thing.

She just isn't eating enough to relieve me of this engorgement.

Thank you Kiliki... for my adorable signature!
May 22nd, 2013, 05:32 PM
misty3281's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Avery rarely eats both breast. I usually let her eat then pump the rest of what's left and the other side. I waited a little too long to pump this morning and got 5 oz off just the right side. Talk about being uncomfortable.
May 22nd, 2013, 05:47 PM
Platinum Supermommy
^ This is what I'm thinking of doing too. Definitely want to empty the breast she doesn't finish (for now, I'm sure that will change when she's bigger since she'll be able to empty it), and then maybe half pump the other side.

Thank you Kiliki... for my adorable signature!
May 22nd, 2013, 06:09 PM
May 2013 Cohost
It will even out in a few weeks...there are times Lexi doesn't attempt the other breast. I always try though. Usually I do a diaper change in between breasts to try to wake her. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't.
May 22nd, 2013, 06:27 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Throughout the day, Misha eats frequently enough (every hour or so) that I can just alternate boobs and never get engorged... but usually after a 3-4 hour stretch (at night) they both get pretty sore, and in that case I'll feed for awhile on one side and the instant he lets go (because he falls asleep, or loses his latch, or gets bored, or whatever) I switch over to the other. On a couple of occasions I've accidentally feed a few times in a row on the same side, allowing the other to get uncomfortably engorged, and in those instances I've just toughed it out. I finally got my pump all sterilized so I'll probably start using it soon so I don't have to suffer.
May 22nd, 2013, 06:29 PM
Liztastic's Avatar Super Mommy
I have over-supply issues and I'm trying really hard not to pump and only feeding off one side per feeding to help the issue. However tonight I had to pump and I didn't even pump the one breast empty and got 4oz. I really had to pump though because I just feed her off the other breast and knew I wouldn't be feeding her off the other for at least 3 hours.

Mom to:
Madalynn Faith ~ 2001
Alala Love ~ 2004
Elle Rain ~ 2008
Tilly Moon ~ 2013
May 22nd, 2013, 06:38 PM
ashj_1218's Avatar Hiya!
Jo is my first two-sided baby. She will not empty either one, but I switch her when she needs a burp (she is barfy, so I have to burp her several times a feeding). I usually am slightly engorged constantly for the first month or so. But I try not to pump, since I over produce as well. Those first few days are tough with the engorgement, you have my sympathy!

Super big thanks to Jaidynsmum for my cool siggy!
May 22nd, 2013, 08:06 PM
pressedfairie's Avatar Super Mommy
I had a major oversupply with DS, and it's even more so this time. I block feed - only switching breasts every 2nd feeding. That way I know that baby is getting the hind milk that she needs. I'm really trying not to pump because I don't want to produce even more, and I've been doing massage and using ice to ease the engorgement. My engorgement is almost gone, and this really seems to be helping.

If I didn't have an oversupply, I would probably only feed off one breast per feeding unless baby is still hungry after emptying that breast. I've never fully emptied a breast in one feeding though....never.

Thank you peimum for my awesome siggy!
May 23rd, 2013, 05:11 PM
Veteran
I guess I'm one of the few that has a super hungry baby LOL! Aubrey takes both sides at almost every feed and I normally feel like she empties both breasts. My DS did that too though.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search