Vent thread

Forum: May 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree56Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To May 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 6th, 2013, 07:49 AM
Shufu_in_Shunan's Avatar Padawan Kim
Quote:
Originally Posted by misty3281 View Post
Thrush is a fungal infection, not bacterial so you would need a different medication I think.
Hmm...maybe I have (or had) something else, then. I guess I'll find out tomorrow.

June 6th, 2013, 11:06 AM
May 2013 Cohost
Are you sure the steroid cream was used to treat bacterial infection? I think the oral medication was most likely the antibiotic which actually treated the mastitis...now they may have given you the steroid cream in case you also had thrush...I'm pretty sure an anti-inflammatory steroid cream would be used to treat a fungal infection.
June 6th, 2013, 03:27 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I have a vent. I have some kind of nasty infection down there. Thought it was yeast but it doesn't seem to be improving after 5 days of monistat. Went to walk-in today and doc thinks it's bladder infection but I have been mis-diagnosed as having bladder infections many times in my life, so I refuse to take antibiotics until the culture comes back. She also did a swab to send for another culture in case it's a different type of vaginal infection.

So I am undiagnosed, in burning pain, with no treatment options, except perhaps finishing the monistat, until after the weekend. Booo!
June 6th, 2013, 03:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kary4 View Post
Are you sure the steroid cream was used to treat bacterial infection? I think the oral medication was most likely the antibiotic which actually treated the mastitis...now they may have given you the steroid cream in case you also had thrush...I'm pretty sure an anti-inflammatory steroid cream would be used to treat a fungal infection.
Yeah, the oral medication they gave me was definitely for the mastitis. I remember my left nipple being in a lot of pain at the time with broken skin, but they didn't tell me what was wrong with it, just gave me that cream. I had just assumed it was from a poor latch, but later realized that was fine. I was looking at mostly Japanese sites and using the online translator that just came with my browser, so it's possible the translations were wrong and it actually is for fungal infections, but it seems like my husband also said bacterial when I asked him to quickly translate what the tube said before I looked it up online, so I'm not sure...

I decided to look it up again and a website that lists things it's prescribed for does say it's an anti-bacterial and also says one possible side effect is fungal infection, including thrush...so now I'm a little confused. This site says it's used to treat skin infections, such as pyoderma, dermatitis, and eczema. Another site also states that it's anti-bacterial and that it's not "in principal" used to treat fungal infections. Those are words from the translation. It looks like it's usually used for eczema.

June 6th, 2013, 03:57 PM
May 2013 Cohost
Ok, that makes sense. Since you were on antibiotics, both oral and a cream, you probably developed thrush. I'm sure both of the meds combined worked to treat the mastitis. Mastitis is a bacterial infection. Now you need the anti fungal cream for your nipples. Tell them you think it's thrush. In the states the cream is called Nystatin.
June 6th, 2013, 04:59 PM
EverydayJoy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4 boys View Post
I have a vent. I have some kind of nasty infection down there. Thought it was yeast but it doesn't seem to be improving after 5 days of monistat. Went to walk-in today and doc thinks it's bladder infection but I have been mis-diagnosed as having bladder infections many times in my life, so I refuse to take antibiotics until the culture comes back. She also did a swab to send for another culture in case it's a different type of vaginal infection.

So I am undiagnosed, in burning pain, with no treatment options, except perhaps finishing the monistat, until after the weekend. Booo!

Ouchy!! That's gotta be painful! I hope they find out what's wrong for you! Is there anything you can try for the burn? Maybe some aloe? What about that Dermoplast spray for numbing like they gave me at the hospital for postpartum care?

Little Bud: Blooming in Heaven 1.24.12
June 6th, 2013, 08:16 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I wish I had a peri-bottle like what they give you in the hospital after having a baby. I think that would help. But I think I've figured out a way to deal with it for now. I'm just afraid if it turns out to be something I need antibiotics for, that will GIVE me a yeast infection, if this isn't one.
June 6th, 2013, 10:23 PM
May 2013 Cohost
You didn't bring the peri bottle home? I did!
June 7th, 2013, 01:05 AM
Themrs0523's Avatar Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4 boys View Post
I wish I had a peri-bottle like what they give you in the hospital after having a baby. I think that would help. But I think I've figured out a way to deal with it for now. I'm just afraid if it turns out to be something I need antibiotics for, that will GIVE me a yeast infection, if this isn't one.
I have been MIA for a while but I wanted to tell you, I forgot to get my peri bottle when we left the hospital so my mom went out and bought an empty condiment bottle (for ketchup/mustard, etc) and I used that. It worked just as well, kinda strange but it worked.
June 20th, 2013, 08:24 PM
May 2013 Cohost
Misty and Kim - did you end up having thrush?
June 21st, 2013, 05:13 AM
misty3281's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I ended up calling my OB's office and he just called in the cream for me. I tried it for almost a week and it didn't make a difference so I stopped using it and focused more on her latching. That helped some and they were feeling a little better, but her new thing is holding the nipple in her gums stretching and chomping down on it while she stretches her body. I can't even describe how much that hurts.
June 21st, 2013, 06:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kary4 View Post
Misty and Kim - did you end up having thrush?
No. They said Kaeldra would have white patches in her mouth if I had thrush, but they couldn't tell me what was wrong. They just told me that nipple pain was a common complaint. :/ I have been using nipple shields (as they instructed from the beginning) and tried to stop using them shortly before the pain got worse, and I think that had something to do with it. I have had to continue using the shields for the most part, which is really annoying. I wish they never told me to use them in the first place because now it's hard to wean off of them due to the pain. Some of the nurses there were telling me to try to stop using the shields, and others were telling me it's okay to keep using them. It would be way more convenient to not have to, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by misty3281 View Post
I ended up calling my OB's office and he just called in the cream for me. I tried it for almost a week and it didn't make a difference so I stopped using it and focused more on her latching. That helped some and they were feeling a little better, but her new thing is holding the nipple in her gums stretching and chomping down on it while she stretches her body. I can't even describe how much that hurts.
My baby does this, too! I call it "shark mode" because she starts thrashing around like crazy, lol. I think she does it when she has gas (which is a lot of the time). I have to take her off the nipple a lot of the time when she starts doing it, but then she'll cry until I put her back on. Very frustrating.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search