PP Depression vs. Baby Blues, and the doctors who try to take your baby away.

Forum: May 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By misty3281
  • 2 Post By jcperez
  • 3 Post By NewlyMrs

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To May 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 31st, 2013, 10:04 AM
Super Mommy
Omg.

So at my 6 week check-up on Wednesday, I had to fill out a questionnaire while in the waiting room about my mental state. They were asking questions like "How often do you cry?" And "Do you feel overwhelmed?" And "Do you ever feel like you want to hurt yourself or your baby?" So I answered all the questions truthfully- yes, I cry sometimes- yes, I feel overwhelmed- no, I don't want to hurt anyone- ect... There was about 15 to 20 questions. So after I turned it in and was called back to see the doctor, the doctor says "So it looks like you are suffering from PP depression, and I'm going to have to refer you to the mental health department. You will be assigned to a therapist, and a psychologist, and we will notify social services and they will follow up with you."

WHAT. THE. ***. ?!?!?

I answered NONE of those questions in the extreme and they were freakin going to contact SOCIAL SERVICES?? All my answers fell in the middle to lower end of the scale. I'm a first time mother with a newborn!! Of course I'm stressed and overwhelmed! My kid doesn't sleep- so I'm exhausted. He has bad acid reflux, so i'm worried. My hormones are readjusting, so of course I'm emotional!

I looked at her and said " Why don't you hand that paper back to me then and I will change my answers and LIE because I'm not going through that. I have the 'baby blues' - not depression. I've been depressed before and that's not how I feel. I just need some freakin Xanax and a full night's sleep."

I just can't believe she was slapping me with the depression label based off a freakin questionnaire and not actually TALKING to me. And then you want to call social services on me- like the are gonna take my baby ( I know they wouldn't have actually taken the baby) but HELLLLLLL NO!!!!!

So I got the paper back, and changed my answers. The doctor was too shocked that I was protesting to argue with me, lol.

So am I wrong here? There IS a difference between PP Depression and Baby Blues, right?

So annoyed- it's been 2 days and still bugging me!
May 31st, 2013, 10:27 AM
misty3281's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Wow. That's just insane. I'm sure every woman who has ever cared for a newborn has cried at least once. They're exhausting. It's part of being a mom. To diagnose like that without even talking to you is crazy. I would have done the same thing. I'm so sorry you had to go through that.
shana1979 likes this.
May 31st, 2013, 10:30 AM
Sapphera's Avatar NTNP Host
Hate to break this to you...but...baby blues generally go away after about 2 weeks post partum (in the clinical labelling sense).. after that, it's considered to be PPD.

However, that's a little ... overboard ... in the reaction department!!!
NTNP #2
May 31st, 2013, 10:49 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Good for you!!!! I think she was being ridiculous and good for you for standing up for yourself!! I always lie on those questionnaires. Really, if I need help, I will ask for it. I don't trust the medical system to know that for me.
May 31st, 2013, 11:05 AM
jcperez's Avatar 1 Busy Momma
WTH!!!! That is crazy! Calling Social Services?? I guess I know to lie if I have to fill out a questioneer like that at my 6 week. I suppose I had the baby blues. I cried out of happiness and because I was super emotional and worried about the baby and if I was doing things right. Stressed...who the heck isnt stressed with a new baby and lack of sleep?! I could see if you filled "yes" for the question about hurting yourself or the baby. IDK.....I would have done the same thing if I were you. It makes you not want to ask for help if you really need it if they go to that extreme.
LolaBadola and shana1979 like this.

Mommy to Lorenzo, Marino and Remy
May 31st, 2013, 11:44 AM
May 2013 Cohost
That is freaking bs! I would be livid. Social services? Are you kidding me?!
May 31st, 2013, 12:16 PM
mrsjl's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
that is INSANE!!!

I cried every time I was left alone with all 3 kids for like, 3 weeks LOL! it happens! you're recovering from childbirth, adjusting to a newborn, barely sleeping, it's to be expected that it isn't all sunshine and rainbows.

May 31st, 2013, 01:28 PM
NewlyMrs's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
That is ridiculous. I had to fill out one at my 6 week too. So lame...they should base their assessment on talking to you, not a generic questionnaire. I tell ya!

May 31st, 2013, 01:40 PM
markswife's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I had to fill one out the first full day I was in the hospital. I thought it was crazy to do it so early. And yet, not nearly as crazy as referring you a psychologist and social services without even the courtesy of a conversation.

I treat my PPD with Zoloft and did with DD too for about a year. It made all the difference in the world for me.
May 31st, 2013, 01:56 PM
misty3281's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm a little shocked so many had to do a questionnaire. I've never even heard of that. I went in, Doc asked how everything was going, I said pretty typical of being a new mom and that was that.
May 31st, 2013, 04:09 PM
EverydayJoy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
That's friggin' crazy, Kurly. And from some of the stories I've heard about social services, I think being worried they'd take away your baby isn't too far-fetched. How completely ridiculous--my guess is your doctor has never had a baby! Ugh! And especially if you've had depression before, you would know the difference between that and just the emotional, stressed, exhausted state of a newborn's mother.

I've dealt with depression too---and I have a 3 year old already---and no one EVER mentioned social services to me. I would have been pretty shocked too. What would have been much better would have been your doctor sitting down and having a discussion with you based on your answers, not unilaterally deciding what your treatment was going to be based on some paper. I've filled that thing out before too, many times, when I was seeing my doc for depression specifically, she would have me fill it out every appointment. But never after having a baby. Weird!!!

Little Bud: Blooming in Heaven 1.24.12
May 31st, 2013, 04:39 PM
Super Mommy
Yeah- it was out there. I understand they are worried and on the look out for PPD in mommies, but come on. She just went about it ALL wrong.
June 1st, 2013, 08:44 PM
KnJ'sMomma727's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
what?! I had ppd with my son and all the OB did was call the pharmacist for some zoloft!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search