Breastmilk vs formula

Forum: May 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By EverydayJoy
  • 1 Post By ashj_1218
  • 2 Post By bajars2531

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To May 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 31st, 2013, 05:09 PM
EverydayJoy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
It's weird, whenever I do only BM for the day, Kody seems gassier and fussier, and has more frequent poops. Then if I do all formula, he seems happier and less frequent poops, and less gas it seems like. Am I doing anything wrong? I've been avoiding most "gassy" foods like garlic and onion, cabbage, broccoli, etc etc. All I can figure is that I have a lot of foremilk and a really fast let-down. I try to burp him really well, usually a couple times a feeding.

Little Bud: Blooming in Heaven 1.24.12
May 31st, 2013, 05:12 PM
MrsNHigh's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I have so many weird gassy foods to avoid like peanut butter and all dairy. I've never used formula because I know both of my boys would probably need the special non dairy kind. Your diet is really what makes the baby gassy. I'd do a food log and note how he responds to new foods in your diet.

Nichole
May 31st, 2013, 05:35 PM
jcperez's Avatar 1 Busy Momma
Hmmm...Remy was the opposite. When I gave him formula he was so gassy and vomiting so much more. What kind of formula are you giving by the way?

Mommy to Lorenzo, Marino and Remy
May 31st, 2013, 05:36 PM
May 2013 Cohost
Lexi is the same way, but I haven't done formula all day so I can't really compare, but she is gassy all day and night from my breastmilk. I do feel like I have an overactive letdown too. There are a number of things that could be going on - it could be the dairy in your diet. I tried eliminating dairy last time and it was just too hard. I didn't even last a week. I'm not even attempting that this time around. I'll just go straight to the hypoallergenic formula Alimentum which was a godsend last time, or feed breastmilk from a bottle.

Have you tried feeding your breastmilk from a bottle? I think you said you might try that.

Is it possible Kody has reflux? Lexi arches a lot after feeds, so I'm thinking she may have reflux. My son had it too. I'm giving it another week before we try meds.
May 31st, 2013, 06:03 PM
I know that I won't be able to stick to a restrictive diet. Dairy is a major part of my diet and I love it too much to give it up. I did the most bland diet you can imagine with Ethan, trying anything to make him happy, and nothing worked. I'm with you, Kary, I refuse to do that again.

Jessica--right now I'm using Enfamil milk-based formula, the newborn kind. I got some as a sample in the mail. I'll have to talk to the WIC office because I think you can get WIC checks for formula. There's no way I could afford to do exclusive formula feeding on my own.

I did try breast milk in a bottle and it was better than when I'd nurse him, but formula has been better still. I really hate to go that route because I hate having to wash bottles all the time, and because I only have 3 bottles so I'd have to buy a bunch more and the kind he is using right now are $8 each! (free samples also). Ugh--newborns are so hard.
jcperez likes this.

May 31st, 2013, 07:54 PM
ashj_1218's Avatar Hiya!
I would investigate the fore milk-hind milk thing. Since its simple to fix. Instead of alternating breasts for each feeding, you nurse for 3-4 hours on one breast before switching to the other and doing the same thing.

I know my supply is too plentiful and if I switch Jo for every feed she will burp a ton, puke even more than usual (she is a huge puker), and be really fussy. But if I block feed, it's better for her mood and belly.

Also, if Kody is sucking more air when he nurses than when he takes a bottle, he might be more fussy on breastmilk than formula. It sounds like a combo of things.

And yeah, WIC will cover almost all of your formula needs if you are exclusively feeding. I forget the exact amount, but most of my clients only had to buy one can, two if their baby was a really big eater, a month. And most WIC offers one brand, but you can get whichever formula works for you within that brand (like you have to pick it ahead of time, soy, spit-up formula, regular...and your checks will be for that one). But I guess WIC might be different in different areas.
EverydayJoy likes this.
June 1st, 2013, 09:19 AM
Sapphera's Avatar NTNP Host
Kaia is the same .. much more gassy on breastmilk than on formula, and now that she's taking more formula than breastmilk, she has been having less "inconsolable moments" due to gas pains.

I'm debating on moving to 100% formula .. but haven't made the decision yet. I like giving her breastmilk, but she won't stay on the boob, so it's all pumped and it's getting extremely time consuming... which just isn't working for us when DH isn't home.
NTNP #2
June 1st, 2013, 10:27 AM
May 2013 Cohost
Now add a crazy toddler running around on top of that!
June 1st, 2013, 01:04 PM
Michelle--I'm debating going to all formula, too. It's a really tough decision, to be sure. It's so much easier to nurse but I'm not sure it's worth all the fussing.

June 1st, 2013, 01:34 PM
May 2013 Cohost
Same here. I hate to see her in so much pain, but I don't want to have to worry about pumping either. On the other hand, formula is expensive. I just know if we can get to 12 weeks breastfeeding, things will be easier. My son seemed to turn a corner at 12 weeks or so on breastmilk. Of course, we ended up medicating him for reflux around the same time....so time will tell. I hope I can make it. I've set a short goal of making it to 6 weeks and then I'm going to reevaluate my feeding methods. We'll be at 5 weeks this Thursday.
June 1st, 2013, 04:33 PM
Good luck Kary, that's so tough. Especially with your toddler to deal with too. We put our oldest on reflux meds, too. We started with the Zantac which didn't help much and then moved up to Prevacid tablets which I dissolved in milk to feed him. That ended up helping the most, but in the end what worked best was weaning him at 8 months. Night and day. But I was on daily antibiotics at the time, which we decided in the end was the culprit. I thought for sure this time I'd have no problems nursing Kody but it seems like babies just don't like my milk!

June 1st, 2013, 05:06 PM
markswife's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Do the infant gas drops help at all? If Caroline is still fussing and has already burped, I've tried those and they seem to take the edge off for her.
June 1st, 2013, 07:10 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I too am debating going to formula. BF'ing didn't work at all, and pumping is almost impossible with 3 kids to look after - since I have to do it 8 times a day right now. So hard. My nipples are just destroyed from the pump for some reason (didn't happen with my other two girls), bleeding and cracked and painful, and I'm using the lowest setting. Lilah has bad gas too with breastmilk, but her tummy seems fine otherwise.

Thank you Kiliki... for my adorable signature!
June 1st, 2013, 08:04 PM
May 2013 Cohost
Joy - we did the same reflux medication for our son! Zantac first, which did nothing, then we moved to Prevacid. We did a liquid version, but it had to be compounded every 2 weeks at the pharmacy. Kind of a pain, but it worked! Man that Prevacid was pricey!
June 1st, 2013, 09:11 PM
It sure is pricey! The one we got, if it hadn't have been for insurance, we would have had to pay something like $500 a month for!

June 2nd, 2013, 11:22 AM
bajars2531's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Was lurking and thought I would post--BM is a natural laxative, bm babies poop more for sure. Your diet does not make your baby more or less gassy, this is a very common misconception. You can eat whatever you like. Formula is harder for a baby's sensitive digestive system to break down which is why they seem fuller longer, also formula babies are often overfed, which they will not do at the breast. I would urge you to think long and hard before you switch to formula. New babies appear to have digestive problems when it is often nothing more than them trying to figure out how their systems work. The sphincter muscles are not well developed which is why they strain and struggle and sometimes cry. It's frustrating for them and they get crabby about it. It's part of the process. Obviously it's completely your choice and I know some people will disagree with me, but formula is very rarely a better choice.
EverydayJoy and rheaimedved like this.

Make a pregnancy ticker

June 2nd, 2013, 12:13 PM
May 2013 Cohost
Actually, babies can be sensitive to many foods mother eats, such as dairy and caffeine.
June 2nd, 2013, 02:46 PM
misty3281's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Especially caffeine! I had gone back to my pre pregnancy amounts of coffee and diet coke for a few weeks when Avery started spitting up after every feeding out of nowhere. My sister is a Pediatric NP and told me to get back off the caffeine and within a few days it was better. I just recently started adding a little caffeine back and just paying closer attention to how much I consume so we don't have that problem again.

Every baby and situation is different. You have to do what works best for you and your LO. There's no shame in using formula. In the end regardless of whether it's formula or breast these babies are going to grow up healthy and that's the important part.
June 2nd, 2013, 04:12 PM
May 2013 Cohost
Also, if your baby is lactose intolerant or sensitive to dairy, a hypoallergenic formula such as Alimentum or Nutramigen is a better choice if you cannot eliminate dairy from your diet. This formula does not have milk based proteins which makes it very easy to digest. It is a great choice for colicky babies or babies with acid reflux. Formula is a great choice if baby is struggling with breastmilk.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search