Claire's birth story

Forum: May 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By LabLover13
  • 2 Post By MrsNHigh

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To May 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 2nd, 2013, 03:13 PM
LabLover13's Avatar Veteran
It's been so crazy around here this week, but I really want to get Claire's birth story down before I forget allll the details.

At our last prenatal appt on the 23rd, our doc said that she'd put me on the hospital's schedule for induction on Monday the 27th (Memorial Day). She said that depending on how busy the delivery unit was, I'd get a call by 6 am from the hospital telling me to come down or not. I was 40 + 1 with gestational diabetes, and she didn't want me to go much beyond that (and she was going to be out of town the following weekend).

So of course I didn't get any sleep Sunday night...I kept waking up and checking to see what time it was. 6 am rolled around, and I still hadn't heard from the hospital, so I got up and hung out with the hubby just waiting. We finally got the call around 8:30, and headed into the hospital.

When we got there, the doc decided to start me on cytotec. We did one 4-hour dose, and then another. After the 2nd dose, I was around 2 cm dilated and 70% effaced, so doc decided to break my water. This whole time I had apparently been having contractions, but couldn't feel any of them. Once my water broke, that changed...I started to feel the contractions and they were picking up in intensity. My water was broken at 11 pm on Monday night, and I was asking for the epidural by 4 am.

After the epidural (heaven) I had a few hours of delightful numbness....then it started wearing off. Once I hit about 6 cm (I think it was around 11 Tuesday morning) I felt every contraction. Joy! I stayed that way, breathing through the contractions until it was time to push at about 4:15 Tuesday afternoon.

Pushing was...tough. After three hours, Claire was crowning, and had been crowning for about an hour, but wasn't descending any further. The doc gave me 3 options: keep pushing, try the vacuum, or go to c-section.

As I'd been laboring for about 22 hours at this point and was freaking exhausted, I pretty much begged for the c-section. So they jumped into action, and 30 minutes later was wheeled into the OR (trying to breathe through contractions for 30 minutes with a baby in the birth canal was kind of excruciating, not gonna lie).

The anesthesiologist asked me how my epidural was doing, and I let him know that it had worn off hours earlier. He kind of insisted I was wrong, because "if it had worn off, I'd be screaming at him by now". Oh, ok. Thanks for letting me know what I'm feeling, dude. He also said that if it wasn't working any longer, than the spinal block wouldn't work either and that they'd have to put me under general anesthesia. This FREAKED me out...I didn't want to miss the birth of my baby. So I just said ok, I must have been wrong about the epidural wearing off, and let's just go for it.

After he administered the spinal block, I could still feel cold sensation on the left side of my body. I told him this, so he pumped a ton more medicine into the block, which caused me to go numb up to my neck--at least, on one side of my body. This made it hard for me to push air into my lungs, so I started to panic that I couldn't breathe. They put me on oxygen, which helped calm me some.

They started the procedure, and I could pretty much feel everything on the left side of my body. It was definitely dulled, but I could feel it...this is beyond the pressure that everyone said was normal. I felt the incision, the staples--everything. But I was determined not to say anything and go under general, so I just stared at my husband and focused on the fact that our baby was coming.

Claire was pulled from me at 8:35 pm Tuesday, May 28th. 8 lbs, 1 oz, 20.5 inches long. Her first cry was the most amazing sound I've ever heard in my life. My hubby and I immediately broke down crying....it was so beautiful. She scored 8 and 9 on her Apgars.

We got to go home on Friday morning, and are now just trying to adjust to life with a baby!
Mrsbowbin likes this.
June 2nd, 2013, 06:44 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Congrats on your baby girl! Been wondering if you'd had your baby. Glad to hear everything turned out ok!
June 2nd, 2013, 10:07 PM
EverydayJoy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Wow crazy story--especially feeling the C-section, OMG I would have freaked out. Congrats and you are one strong mama!

Little Bud: Blooming in Heaven 1.24.12
June 3rd, 2013, 06:21 AM
ashj_1218's Avatar Hiya!
Holy cow! That is nuts! I am so glad it's over and your girl is here! I'll add you to the birth list and update our review sheet
June 3rd, 2013, 07:10 AM
MrsNHigh's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Congrats! Crazy story!
Our babies share a birthday! She was born 32 minutes before my boy! How cool!
EverydayJoy and LabLover13 like this.

Nichole
June 3rd, 2013, 11:30 AM
Mega Super Mommy
That's a seriously crazy story! Having a c-section and feeling it all is pretty hard to top... I suspect you won't be very sympathetic to others' pain after something like that Congrats!
June 3rd, 2013, 08:49 PM
NewlyMrs's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Wow! You're a super mama. Congrats!

June 4th, 2013, 10:37 AM
May 2013 Cohost
Yeah, I think I would have opted for the general knowing my pain tolerance. That is freaky! You are so strong! Congratulations.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search