Thumb Suckers

Forum: May 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree23Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To May 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 9th, 2013, 05:12 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Skimboardin Mama Send a message via MSN to Skimboardin Mama Send a message via Yahoo to Skimboardin Mama
Any thumb suckers in the DDC/PR yet? Do babies even suck their thumbs this early?any babies suck their thumbs in the womb?

I'm hoping Koa never picks it up since you can't throw away thumbs but I'm all for him getting better at the paci though so I can get a break

June 9th, 2013, 05:14 PM
Super Mommy
Wyatt does and as soon as I see it, I make sure to stick the binky in! Like you said- binky is a much easier habit to break later then thumb sucking! (Although I will say- it LOOKS adorable!!)
Skimboardin Mama likes this.
June 9th, 2013, 06:44 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Chloe has been doing it now and then since birth.

June 9th, 2013, 07:55 PM
EverydayJoy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Kody did it the other day when my mom was holding him! I really hope he DOES find his thumb because he's not a big fan of the binkie. I think it's too early for the thumb to be a staple but I'll take any accidental thumb sucking!

Little Bud: Blooming in Heaven 1.24.12
June 9th, 2013, 08:28 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Arthur sucks his thumb once in a while, but several times daily will shove his hand in his mouth and suck away. He's only 3 weeks and I'm wanting to hold off until at least 6 before introducing the soother.

I was very against thumb sucking, but because right now it's not interfering with breastfeeding, or causing any nipple confusion I am allowing it. I have decided that I never met anyone in college sucking their thumb, so as much as I don't like it, I can live with it for now vs. risking our breastfeeding relationship. I am hoping in a few weeks, because he is clearly such an oral baby, that he will take to the soother and give up the thumb!

June 9th, 2013, 09:08 PM
misty3281's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Avery sucked her thumb in a couple of ultrasounds I had, but hasn't done it since being out in the world.
June 9th, 2013, 09:10 PM
Brock's minion
Brock tries to suck his thumb but move often the whole hand goes in. I put the pacifier in as soon as I see it....well once and awhile I laugh for a second because as aweful as it is, it's adorable.

Michelle
June 10th, 2013, 06:33 AM
MrsNHigh's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Carter tries to suck his thumb, but he can't work his hands, so usually just end up scratches face.

Nichole
June 10th, 2013, 08:30 AM
NewlyMrs's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Grady tries really really hard to suck his thumb but never can quite get it in. Not sure how I feel about it. Since he doesn't take the binky it would be nice, but I know how hard it is to break the habit.

June 10th, 2013, 01:52 PM
Rhonda66's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Sophia was doing it once in an US and she does it occasionally now. I confess that I was a thumb sucker and came from a family of thumb suckers - my sisters and I had blankies well into our teens lol - and our mom too! I think I would have kept my blankie forever, but it finally disintegrated - I know my sister who is 38 now still has shreds of her blankie left that she won't let go of lol. So yeah, probably going to have a thumb sucker with this one. DS has a blankie but doesn't suck his thumb.
June 10th, 2013, 03:11 PM
markswife's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
DD1 sucked her thumb for two days. It both started and ended out of the blue. I am so glad I took pictures because they are pretty cute.

Caroline hasn't found her thumb yet. She has tried the whole hand and has gotten some good sucks in on the side of her hand. Once her coordination improves, she might figure it out. I'd like it to last long enough for a couple of pictures and then stop. She's pretty indifferent about her binky so I hope she'll be equally indifferent about her thumb.
Skimboardin Mama and MrsNHigh like this.
June 10th, 2013, 05:35 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Skimboardin Mama Send a message via MSN to Skimboardin Mama Send a message via Yahoo to Skimboardin Mama
Gah now I want to see pics! I imagine it has to be so adorable since their thumbs are soooo small!

I did know someone who still sucks her thumb and she is 29! I've seen an adult in their early 20s on DHs side do it too. Anyone see the girl on the real world portland do it? She talks about how she only dates basketball players and rich athletes and she sucks her thumb.

June 11th, 2013, 09:08 AM
MrsNHigh's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Hahaha! Yes, Nia is a trip! It's so weird that she's so hardcore and will beat someone with a blow dryer, but she sucks her thumb.

Nichole
June 11th, 2013, 09:43 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I don't think adults who suck their thumbs are limited to starting the habit as a child as why they still do it. Clearly there is more to it than that. I'd start with the inability to self regulate.

June 11th, 2013, 11:09 AM
EverydayJoy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I once saw this dude driving a fancy red sports car, and sucking his thumb. Pretty incongruous if you ask me! lol. I also had a friend in 5th grade who still sucked her thumb when she was upset.

I agree that just letting a child suck their thumb as a child doesn't mean they will suck it as an adult.

Little Bud: Blooming in Heaven 1.24.12
June 11th, 2013, 12:25 PM
markswife's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I had a mom on my case load that sucked her thumb during court. I thought the social worker was kidding until I saw it with my own eyes. I also vote for inability to self-regulate as the cause. It always happened when she was getting called on the carpet for something. I don't think she even recognized that she was doing it.
rheaimedved likes this.
June 11th, 2013, 01:05 PM
May 2013 Cohost
Lexi has found her thumb a couple of times, but doesn't close her fist...her four fingers stand straight out - it looks pretty funny!
June 11th, 2013, 03:13 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Joshua just sucks his whole fist but he does like the paci so that's prob why x

June 11th, 2013, 03:16 PM
Rhonda66's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I don't know about the ability to self-regulate - I always thought it was an oral fixation issue...I could never suck my thumb now, the thought of it makes me ill.
June 11th, 2013, 09:50 PM
Mega Super Mommy
my parents gave me a pacifier when i was a baby, and i still developed a finger-sucking habit that lasted for years. i stopped on my own when i was about 10. but my point is that giving a pacifier doesn't necessarily protect against thumb sucking

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search