Natural family planning

Forum: May 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree7Likes
  • 1 Post By SunnyBunnyMama
  • 2 Post By rheaimedved
  • 1 Post By MrsNHigh
  • 1 Post By EverydayJoy
  • 2 Post By LabLover13

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To May 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 11th, 2013, 04:52 PM
EverydayJoy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Hey I was wondering, how does NFP work when you're nursing? From what I understand, nursing can change your CM, so that indicator is out--and it seems like it would blur other indicators too. I'm sure I can just google it but wondered if you BTDT moms had any advice. Seems DH and I are back in the saddle a couple weeks earlier than we planned, lol. And I know that the pull out method is not reliable and EBF isn't 100% foolproof either. I plan to go on the mini pill but my PP check up isn't till the 24th!

Little Bud: Blooming in Heaven 1.24.12
June 11th, 2013, 05:41 PM
markswife's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I didn't get my period back until 8 months PP after Natalie. We just did NFP with her and I didn't get pregnant with Caroline until a couple months after we started trying. I was under the belief that you don't ovulate while nursing. Hope that's true because I'm not planning on birth control this time either even though I'm 99.9% sure that Caroline is our last.
June 11th, 2013, 06:23 PM
misty3281's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
My OB made sure to stress to me that nursing is not 100% full proof to prevent pregnancy. He said he has a friend who delivered and was EBF'ing and got pregnant. The second baby ended up being born early and the kids were 9 months apart. I would freak if that happened. I'm on the mini pill now and even with a daily alarm set on my phone to remind me I still forget. I'm hoping with bf'ing I remember enough pills to prevent pregnancy between the two of them.
June 11th, 2013, 07:04 PM
Super Mommy
With DD, I got my period back three months after I had her even though I continued to exclusively breastfeed (but I stopped pumping overnight so I had my cycle back). It was 'regular' but I did not get pregnant even though O secretly was hoping I would as soon as DD turned 6 months (crazy!). As soon as I weaned her, I fell pregnant right away (she was 11 months so now they're exactly 20 months apart).

Now I am not in the mood at all to start doing it again (haven't been for a couple of months now), so I am not concerned lol. But never done the pill and won't be doing it in the future.. just the withdrawal method.

I envy you for your energy though lol
EverydayJoy likes this.
June 11th, 2013, 08:35 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I practiced NFP for 4 years, but never while BFing so I really don't have any advice for you. Maybe you could ask over on the NFP board? If you don't have CM as an indicator, then I'm not sure how it would be possible, because that's the only indicator I ever went by!
June 11th, 2013, 10:25 PM
Mega Super Mommy
You're brave, Joy No way we're doing it until the IUD (paraguard) is securely in place. Can't take the risk.
miss britt and LabLover13 like this.
June 12th, 2013, 03:51 AM
MrsNHigh's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
After ds1, we used the pull-out method and spermicide while I ebf. We didn't get pregnant for 4 years when we started trying. I didn't get my period until 4 months after I delivered my son. I think I'm going to get the Mirena iud this time because I got pregnant 3 times last year, and my super fertility freaks me out.
rheaimedved likes this.

Nichole
June 12th, 2013, 06:27 AM
Thanks ladies. I think I'm just going to have to call my doc and get on the pill before my appointment. I only have DH home till Monday (probably) and then he goes back out. I really, REALLY don't want to get pregnant but at the same time really don't want to have to abstain.
The IUD isn't for us, and condoms are a drag. Spermicide is irritating and the diaphragm wasn't a good fit for me when I tried that. Ugh, birth control is such a pain! They had better let me do the mini pill because they refused me last year after I had the blood clot in my lung. From what I understand, estrogen is the one that puts you at an elevated risk for clotting, so I'm not sure why the mini pill is a problem.
I don't think I trust myself to know how to do NFP right so I'm just going to have to get on some hormones. Thanks for the responses though!

June 12th, 2013, 08:45 AM
ashj_1218's Avatar Hiya!
I don't blame you for hating having to think about it I hope they give you the mini-pill without issue. I haven't practiced NFP while nursing either. I did get tons of signs of impending ovulation....but I have heard some women don't get the same, so it would concern me if pregnancy was a big no-no.
June 12th, 2013, 10:32 AM
Memi's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
We used NFP after DS1 was born. Until. We decided to NTNP for this baby. It was about two years and worked well for us. However I wasnt nursing during that time. I used OPKs and the calendar to avoid my fertile time.

June 12th, 2013, 12:03 PM
NewlyMrs's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I just got my period. 2 months pp and exclusively bf-ing. Ugh!! Now I feel like we need to be even more careful. I really don't want to go on the pill or any type of hormonal bc. The pull out method worked for us for two years before we started trying for Grady, but before trying we would have been totally ok with getting pregnant. Definitely not ok now. What to do, what to do...

June 12th, 2013, 02:33 PM
I hear ya, Melissa. The scary part is, when you're nursing, you can ovulate even if you don't have a period...so I'm worried!

June 12th, 2013, 07:14 PM
MrsLisaT's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
This is a concern of mine as well. Being Catholic, NFP is kind of our only option. We went to see an instructor when we started using NFP so I think I better give her a call and see if she can explain things to us on how to do it while bfing. I have a book about NFP somewhere that includes a bfing section but have no idea where I put the thing. Honestly though, I would love to NTNP and completely ditch the charting.
June 16th, 2013, 09:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by EverydayJoy View Post
Hey I was wondering, how does NFP work when you're nursing? From what I understand, nursing can change your CM, so that indicator is out--and it seems like it would blur other indicators too. I'm sure I can just google it but wondered if you BTDT moms had any advice. Seems DH and I are back in the saddle a couple weeks earlier than we planned, lol. And I know that the pull out method is not reliable and EBF isn't 100% foolproof either. I plan to go on the mini pill but my PP check up isn't till the 24th!
NFPInternational has an online book you can register for; "ecological BFeeding" can space babies very well versus 'exclusive' nursing { book will define}; I am sad that you want to go on hormones linked to breast cancer and other health problems; print a chart free + "pull-out" and condoms are what makes NFP less effective; you just chart temps and look for lowering/leveling out of temps associated with the return of clear, wet, stretchy mucus to look for fertility while nursing; we used it while nursing w/o surprises; see the blogs at the site, too; many nursing moms are infertile so you would only be looking for fertility to return and then abstain until temp rise + mucus dry-up = infertile again. Pills often affect milk supply, too/content can be affected; as LLLLeader, we get calls about this, too; try NFP - ask for NFP users at the local Catholic Diocese or a NFP-only doctor office/search engine { some docs=NFP-only} see "NFP:The Complete Approach" book - best wishes and congrats on baby+nursing
June 17th, 2013, 07:32 PM
Ananative, I appreciate the information but with having a newborn to deal with who is very fussy, I just don't feel I have the time OR energy (especially energy) to want to do BBT charting and mucous charting every day. The birth control pill that is progesterone only should not affect my milk supply, and I nursed my first son successfully on it. At this point, an "oops" baby is out of the question, and I just don't trust myself to do NFP well enough to prevent that.
rheaimedved likes this.

June 17th, 2013, 07:50 PM
LabLover13's Avatar Veteran
Joy...I smell a spammer. Looks to be someone trying to sell a book.

You keep doing you, boo.
EverydayJoy and rheaimedved like this.
June 17th, 2013, 08:06 PM
Thanks!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search