Bottle refusal

Forum: May 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By SunnyBunnyMama
  • 1 Post By misty3281
  • 1 Post By EverydayJoy

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To May 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 17th, 2013, 03:25 AM
Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to LolaBadola
I need advice! I am EBFing but since I will return to work in September, we were told by lactation consultants to get him used to the bottle now for when he goes to daycare. DH gives him a bottle of expressed milk when I go to the gym in the morning and one for his first night feeding, but getting him to take them is such a battle. He spits out the milk, cries, and won't settle. We've tried all the suggestions you can find online but they don't seem to help. I feel so bad for DH because he's such a hands-on dad and really wants to help, but Owen clearly prefers me, especially at night. I'm hoping we just need time for him to figure it out, but what if when I go back to work he refuses to eat all day and gives the daycare people hell? He's otherwise and extremely easy and mellow baby, as long as he's got the boob. Anybody have any experience with this?

June 17th, 2013, 06:48 AM
Super Mommy
Oh no! I introduced the bottle when baby was two weeks old and was terrified he'd like it better than the breast. But so far he's taking both (but I feel he likes the bottle a lot better, it's faster!)-- bottle only once a day at night. Keep trying though, don't give up. I heard that in order for them to accept it, it should be introduced within the first month. Good luck!
Sweetpea24 and rheaimedved like this.
June 17th, 2013, 07:06 AM
May 2013 Cohost
I haven't introduced the bottle officially yet. I'm kind of nervous to do so bc she may end up preferring it. I used the bottle twice for supplementation after breastfeeding early on, but she never seemed comfortable on it and it was for maybe 1/2 an ounce of formula.
June 17th, 2013, 07:15 AM
misty3281's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Avery took her first bottle right around 4 weeks and didn't have any issues getting on it. I actually cried because I just knew she didn't need me anymore. I let my mom give her the first bottle since she had 5 kids and was more experienced. She only gets it now maybe once a week or so if even that when I have to work, but she seems to switch back and forth without a problem.
rheaimedved likes this.
June 17th, 2013, 08:42 AM
EverydayJoy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
When I went to my WIC breastfeeding class last week, they said they had a woman who was pumping who had been EBFing before, and her baby was refusing the bottle.
Have you tried using a different bottle brand? They do make some that are pretty close to the shape of a mother's nipple these days.
jcperez likes this.

Little Bud: Blooming in Heaven 1.24.12
June 17th, 2013, 10:49 AM
jcperez's Avatar 1 Busy Momma
I had no choice because they had to bottle feed him when he was in the hospital for 2 days. After that, I give a bottle once in a while. My advice is that you have to change bottles. What type of bottles are you using? At first I used the wide neck Playtex vent air. He hated them. The slow nipples are way to slow and the fast nipples are way too fast for him. He gagged. I switched to Dr. Brown's Wide neck and they have been working great when I do decide to give him the bottle. Im going back to work in Sept. too and dreading it!

Mommy to Lorenzo, Marino and Remy
June 17th, 2013, 05:01 PM
ashj_1218's Avatar Hiya!
Not to freak you out, but Kieran refused the bottle. I tried and tried, but eventually gave up (when he started eating foods). I think I introduced too late (not the case here) and he was just set in his ways. I got called home from two outings to a screaming, wanting to nurse baby. That was enough for me to throw in the towel. But I don't have to work, so I could avoid bottles fine.
June 17th, 2013, 06:48 PM
Mega Super Mommy
They do make nipples now that i like mothers nipple you could try that...

June 17th, 2013, 09:56 PM
Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to LolaBadola
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcperez View Post
I had no choice because they had to bottle feed him when he was in the hospital for 2 days. After that, I give a bottle once in a while. My advice is that you have to change bottles. What type of bottles are you using? At first I used the wide neck Playtex vent air. He hated them. The slow nipples are way to slow and the fast nipples are way too fast for him. He gagged. I switched to Dr. Brown's Wide neck and they have been working great when I do decide to give him the bottle. Im going back to work in Sept. too and dreading it!
So far we've tried Medela, Born Free, Mam, and Tommy Tippee. I just ordered one called Comotomo which people rave about in this situation, so we shall see. Such a pain in the ***, though. DD refused to nurse and now he refuses the bottle. Which is worse?

June 21st, 2013, 07:13 AM
misty3281's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
She decided to make a liar of me. The only time Avery was getting a bottle was when my mom was keeping her maybe once a week if even that. Well twice this week mom has had to call me back after leaving because she is suddenly refusing the bottle. I pumped some fresh milk this morning and am trying the size 2 nipple to see if that will make a difference. She had taken the bottle perfectly until this week so I don't know why the sudden fuss about it unless maybe the milk was spoiled somehow.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search